Jenn!

Obama quip stuns Citizen of the West banquet crowd

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
John C. Ensslin

Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Greeley businessman apologized Wednesday after a joke about Illinois Sen. Barack Obama fell flat during the National Western Stock Show's annual Citizen of the West banquet.

William R. Farr was pretending to read telegrams congratulating this year's award recipient, University of Colorado President Hank Brown, when he pulled out a piece of paper and said, "I have a telegram from the White House."

Then he added, "They're going to have to change the name of that building if Obama's elected."

Witnesses said they could hear people gasp in the ballroom of the Adam's Mark Hotel.

"I gasped," said Gov. Bill Ritter, who was sitting at the table with Farr.

Mayor John Hickenlooper said, "I don't think he (Farr) intended any mischief or malice, but it was inappropriate."

Afterward, Farr said he regretted making the remark and apologized to anyone offended.

"I apologize for that," Farr told a reporter as soon as the banquet ended.

"I mistook it to be humorous, but it was something I shouldn't have said."

Farr, a member of a pioneering Colorado ranching family, also said he regrets detracting from an evening intended to honor Brown, a longtime friend.

"All that I can say about that is that it was unfortunate and most inappropriate," said Albert Yates, a former president of Colorado State University, who is black. "Even though Bill Farr is a friend, there's just no way to defend what he said.

"I think it was uncalled for and atrocious," said U.S. Sen. Ken Salazar, who was also in attendance.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008...ves-em-gasping/

What do you think? I think it was a stupid joke, but it's been blown out of proportion.

Edited by Jenn!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm having issues understanding the context of the joke. What building? The White House?

If that's all, I think it was a witty quip and people are overreacting.

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood

In a modest town where honest people dwell

--July 22---------Sent I-129F packet

--July 27---------Petition received

--August 28------NOA1 issued

--August 31------Arrived in Terrace after lots of flight delays to spend Lindsay's birthday with her

--October 10-----Completed address change online

--January 25-----NOA2 received via USCIS Case Status Online

Filed: Timeline

Much ado over nothing.

Unless the person who said it ever contributed to, or met with, or talked to, Hillary or any of her campaign employees or their extended family members. THEN... it's a conspiracy.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline
I'm having issues understanding the context of the joke. What building? The White House?

If that's all, I think it was a witty quip and people are overreacting.

Yes, the white house needs to be painted black. I mean, it's not really funny, but I don't think it's malicious.

My aunt sent this to me and she pointed out that the color of the White House obviously has nothing to do with the race of the President and who in their right mind would make the connection. But that's why it's *supposed* to be funny...because everyone knows that it has nothing to do with it.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Wonder how long before Revs Sharpton & Jackson go on their tirades over THIS...

I DO think it was a tad inappropriate, but nothing to really get knickers all in a knot over.

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

still in bad form.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Not a funny joke, but not a big deal. What if a civil rights activist made that joke? I could see it working that way, too, to the limited extent that the joke actually works.

There's no inherent prejudice in it. It's just saying, "Wellp, that would be a big change." Which, c'mon, of course it would be.

Filed: Timeline
Not a funny joke, but not a big deal. What if a civil rights activist made that joke? I could see it working that way, too, to the limited extent that the joke actually works.

There's no inherent prejudice in it. It's just saying, "Wellp, that would be a big change." Which, c'mon, of course it would be.

What if Rush made it? Or O'Reilly?

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

Right. To me it seemed more a slight jab at the fact that the president has always been a white man.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would chock it up to fear of change, I think. The fact that any person on any side of the racism spectrum could have made it kind of shows to me that it's not really an inherently racist comment.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It is slightly inappropriate, but nothing to get all worked up about.

Sent AOS, EAD - 3/27/07

NOA1 for AOS and EAD - 4/03/07

Checks cashed - 4/04/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/06/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/09/07

RFE for AOS - 04/26/07

return RFE - 06/20/07

EAD approved - 07/07/07

AOS transfered to CSC - 07/10/07

AOS approved - 08/10/07

Welcome letter arrived - 08/18/07

Green card arrive - 08/18/07

Apply for stolen green card 07/12/09

Apply for I-751 09/31/09

I-751 rejected due to late filling

Resubmit with a letter explaining tardiness 10/01/09

NOA1 - 10/17/09

No BioMetrics

Approval 12/4/09

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

there would be riots in the street

riot.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

still in bad form.

total agreement....everyone, who gets up to a podium ...and i include company meetings here, think they are chris rock

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835