K and K

Notice of Intent to Deny

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Having filed what I considered a straight-forward I-129F in mid-July, and following the timelines here, I was expecting a notice in my mail box.

Yesterday's correspondence from the California Service Center, however, was a minor shock.

The 'Notice of Intent to Deny', (NOID) references the IMBRA, claiming I have not met its requirements to establish eligibility for my requested immigration benefit.

As I understand it, there are three parts to this act:

1) Criminal acts. (Part C, #2) No problem in any way with this question, thus checked 'no'.

2) Previous filings of I-129F for alien fiance (Part A, #11) I checked 'yes' and included a supplemental attachment, explaining:

My ONE previous filing was in 1999, resulting in a six-year marriage, terminated in 2006, at my wife's request, who expressed a desire to return to her native Japan,

in an uncontested no-fault divorce. I also mentioned I had lost contact with her for a couple of months but understood her intent was not to return to the USA, thus

forfetiting her green card. (One month after filing, however, and 364 days after she left the country (12 hours before her Green Card would have been confiscated at

a POE), she appeared on my front porch. Before inviting her in, I explained my current situation. Five months later, she occupies a spare bedroom, we are friends

only, providing assistance to each other as we prepare for our new lives apart. I mention all of this, which friends and family all think is a crazy arrangement, though we

are very clear, but she has established a mailing address at my residence and my fiancee is unaware of this situation as there is no way she could understand it).

At any rate, this is ONE previous K-1 filing from over eight years ago. The NOID mentions IMBRA requirements imposing limitations on the number of K-1 petitions which

may be filed without seeking a waiver. It claims I have had TWO or more petitions in the past or had a petition approved within two years and thus must apply for a

waiver.

This stipulation is the only condition of the IMBRA quoted from the NOID applying to my case. The third condition, however:

3) 'Did you meet through the services of an international marriage broker'? (Part B, #19) I checked 'no'. Though not ashamed to admit we met through a dating web site

(ThaiLoveLinks, headquartered in Australia with an office in England, which operates like most such sites I suppose, someone must buy a membership (and it was me for

$30) to receive email, which then quickly bypasses the site), which I felt is differentiated from a "mail order bride" marriage broker definition.

On the application, however, the preceeding question (#18, 'Have you met in the two-year period before the filing?') I checked 'yes', providing exhaustive documentation,

as suggested here, on our first two month-long encounters. I skirted, however, the prompt to this question, "Describe the circumstances under which you met" by not

making any allusions to the circumstances.

Again, no mention in the NOID makes reference to this condition.

My questions, therefore, are:

a) Is this all a bureaucratic formality, or is my petition in jeopardy? Why did I receive a NOID, which sounds more foreboding than a simple RFE, and also requires my

response in 15 days from my receipt of notice (which took 12 days to arrive), rather than 90 days for an RFE?

b. Am I misunderstanding the limitations on number of previous K-1 visa applications? Again, this is my second filing ever, the first from 1999.

c) Though the NOID makes no mention of a possible meeting through a 'international marriage broker', should I address in my waiver more detail of our initial meeting?

d) Is it possible that this snafu is an administrative error, the result of a backlog of applications resulting from an increase in fees in July, coinciding with wages reduced

for USCIS contract case workers, an overworked and unhappy lot with a high turnover rate, making the first touch of applications?

e) I am optimistic this will be resolved through the waiver I intend to submit in days but, even so, will this result in a delay of months my petition being ultimately

approved? Will my case go to the bottom of the heap again or am I on track?

f) I understand, at this juncture, the petition judges only my worthiness and eligibility. I have no doubts about my fiancee demonstrating her merits and stability later

in an embassy interview. However, assuming she is from a country with a higher incidence of visa fraud (Thailand, for instance), is my petition being subjected

prejudicially?

Thank you for any valued input to any of my concerns and continued happiness.

Edited by K and K

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You would need to post exactly what the NOID says. not your generalization of it. Obviously its not for filing more than 1 petition in a 2 year period. And if you have no criminal record, then that only leaves Marriage broker site. Alot of dating sites are free, so membership to one may raise flags or may be construed as a marriage broker. Hard to say without knowing exactly what the NOID says.

Cant even go into your hiding your true situation of living with your ex-wife from your future wife. Wow, what an omission. I feel sorry for her when she finds out. maybe its better for your petition to wait until you get your situation there clear and unencumbered and can have an open honest relationship with a future wife. I cant imagine how you would feel is your fiance was living with her ex, regardless of where the person sleeps.

and if my ex-wife ever showed up on my doorstep, thats as far as she would get. Never would i consent to let her move in with me. And for sure never if i had a girlfriend or fiance.

Chris

Edited by chris4gretchen

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

You would need to post exactly what the NOID says. not your generalization of it. Obviously its not for filing more than 1 petition in a 2 year period. And if you have no criminal record, then that only leaves Marriage broker site. Alot of dating sites are free, so membership to one may raise flags or may be construed as a marriage broker. Hard to say without knowing exactly what the NOID says.

Cant even go into your hiding your true situation of living with your ex-wife from your future wife. Wow, what an omission. I feel sorry for her when she finds out. maybe its better for your petition to wait until you get your situation there clear and unencumbered and can have an open honest relationship with a future wife. I cant imagine how you would feel is your fiance was living with her ex, regardless of where the person sleeps. Good luck.

Chris

Chris, very well written. You said everything I had trouble finding the words to say.

To the OP...be honest with your future wife. I would be completely devastated if I found this out...wow, what a situation.

I'm sorry for the pending denial....everything happens for a reason. Perhaps it's just not your time yet until you resolve the issues from your past.

Hang in there (F)

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Timeline

I just see lots of deception.

Maybe they did too.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Having filed what I considered a straight-forward I-129F in mid-July, and following the timelines here, I was expecting a notice in my mail box.

Yesterday's correspondence from the California Service Center, however, was a minor shock.

The 'Notice of Intent to Deny', (NOID) references the IMBRA, claiming I have not met its requirements to establish eligibility for my requested immigration benefit.

As I understand it, there are three parts to this act:

1) Criminal acts. (Part C, #2) No problem in any way with this question, thus checked 'no'.

2) Previous filings of I-129F for alien fiance (Part A, #11) I checked 'yes' and included a supplemental attachment, explaining:

My ONE previous filing was in 1999, resulting in a six-year marriage, terminated in 2006, at my wife's request, who expressed a desire to return to her native Japan,

in an uncontested no-fault divorce. I also mentioned I had lost contact with her for a couple of months but understood her intent was not to return to the USA, thus

forfetiting her green card. (One month after filing, however, and 364 days after she left the country (12 hours before her Green Card would have been confiscated at

a POE), she appeared on my front porch. Before inviting her in, I explained my current situation. Five months later, she occupies a spare bedroom, we are friends

only, providing assistance to each other as we prepare for our new lives apart. I mention all of this, which friends and family all think is a crazy arrangement, though we

are very clear, but she has established a mailing address at my residence and my fiancee is unaware of this situation as there is no way she could understand it).

At any rate, this is ONE previous K-1 filing from over eight years ago. The NOID mentions IMBRA requirements imposing limitations on the number of K-1 petitions which

may be filed without seeking a waiver. It claims I have had TWO or more petitions in the past or had a petition approved within two years and thus must apply for a

waiver.

This stipulation is the only condition of the IMBRA quoted from the NOID applying to my case. The third condition, however:

3) 'Did you meet through the services of an international marriage broker'? (Part B, #19) I checked 'no'. Though not ashamed to admit we met through a dating web site

(ThaiLoveLinks, headquartered in Australia with an office in England, which operates like most such sites I suppose, someone must buy a membership (and it was me for

$30) to receive email, which then quickly bypasses the site), which I felt is differentiated from a "mail order bride" marriage broker definition.

On the application, however, the preceeding question (#18, 'Have you met in the two-year period before the filing?') I checked 'yes', providing exhaustive documentation,

as suggested here, on our first two month-long encounters. I skirted, however, the prompt to this question, "Describe the circumstances under which you met" by not

making any allusions to the circumstances.

Again, no mention in the NOID makes reference to this condition.

My questions, therefore, are:

a) Is this all a bureaucratic formality, or is my petition in jeopardy? Why did I receive a NOID, which sounds more foreboding than a simple RFE, and also requires my

response in 15 days from my receipt of notice (which took 12 days to arrive), rather than 90 days for an RFE?

b. Am I misunderstanding the limitations on number of previous K-1 visa applications? Again, this is my second filing ever, the first from 1999.

c) Though the NOID makes no mention of a possible meeting through a 'international marriage broker', should I address in my waiver more detail of our initial meeting?

d) Is it possible that this snafu is an administrative error, the result of a backlog of applications resulting from an increase in fees in July, coinciding with wages reduced

for USCIS contract case workers, an overworked and unhappy lot with a high turnover rate, making the first touch of applications?

e) I am optimistic this will be resolved through the waiver I intend to submit in days but, even so, will this result in a delay of months my petition being ultimately

approved? Will my case go to the bottom of the heap again or am I on track?

f) I understand, at this juncture, the petition judges only my worthiness and eligibility. I have no doubts about my fiancee demonstrating her merits and stability later

in an embassy interview. However, assuming she is from a country with a higher incidence of visa fraud (Thailand, for instance), is my petition being subjected

prejudicially?

Thank you for any valued input to any of my concerns and continued happiness.

I feel bad actioly for not having any idea of what i could tell you.

I read in previous topics you can file I-129 even if you've done it before. Plus your case seem to have a reasonable end(i'm sorry though your marriage didn't work)

What i think is you really need to get in touch with "an insider"(somebody from the USCIS who could tell you what a f...k is going on)

And do all you have to do really quick.Time is important here.

.png

UURI.jpg

Timeline
Moving this to IMBRA forum where others who are more familiar may be able to give constructive comments.

We will need to know the exact wording of the NOID and not (as others said) your analysis.

OK, fair enough. The NOID states:

"USCIS intends to deny this petition pursuant to 8 C.F.R. 103.2 b (1) (An applicant must established eligibility for a requested immigration benefit. An

application form must be completed as applicable and filed with any initial evidence required by regulation...)

As of March 6, 2006, a petitioner must meet the requirements established by the IMBRA...Among other requirements, IMBRA imposes limitations on the number of I-129F K-1 petitions a petitioner may file of has had approved without seeking a waive of those limitations. USCIS records show the petitioner has filed, or has had approved, more than the permitted number of K-1 visa petitions without being required to submit a waiver.

Since the petitioner has filed two or more K-1 visa petitions at any time in the past, or previously had a K-1 visa petition approved within two years prior to the filing of this petition, the petitioner must aply for a waiver. To apply for a waiver, the petitioner must attach a signed and dated request for the waiver, explainaing why a waiver would be appropriate, together with any evidence in support of the petitioner's request. Examples of such evidence may include, but is not limited to: statements made by the petitioner regarding his/her filing history and outcome of all previous I-129F petitions filed.

Based upon the reasons stated above, the petitioner is afforded 30 days from the date of this notice to submit additional information, evidence or arguments to support the petition and in opposition to this denial. Failure to respond to this request will result in the denial of the petition."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would be pretty pissed if I moved to America from another country only to find out that my future husband has been living with his ex wife all along. LOTS of deception.

And by saying "my fiancee wouldn't understand the situation if I told her" do you mean that she wouldn't continue the relationship she has with you if she knew?

Edited by sarah and hicham

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Moving this to IMBRA forum where others who are more familiar may be able to give constructive comments.

We will need to know the exact wording of the NOID and not (as others said) your analysis.

OK, fair enough. The NOID states:

"USCIS intends to deny this petition pursuant to 8 C.F.R. 103.2 b (1) (An applicant must established eligibility for a requested immigration benefit. An

application form must be completed as applicable and filed with any initial evidence required by regulation...)

As of March 6, 2006, a petitioner must meet the requirements established by the IMBRA...Among other requirements, IMBRA imposes limitations on the number of I-129F K-1 petitions a petitioner may file of has had approved without seeking a waive of those limitations. USCIS records show the petitioner has filed, or has had approved, more than the permitted number of K-1 visa petitions without being required to submit a waiver.

Since the petitioner has filed two or more K-1 visa petitions at any time in the past, or previously had a K-1 visa petition approved within two years prior to the filing of this petition, the petitioner must aply for a waiver. To apply for a waiver, the petitioner must attach a signed and dated request for the waiver, explainaing why a waiver would be appropriate, together with any evidence in support of the petitioner's request. Examples of such evidence may include, but is not limited to: statements made by the petitioner regarding his/her filing history and outcome of all previous I-129F petitions filed.

Based upon the reasons stated above, the petitioner is afforded 30 days from the date of this notice to submit additional information, evidence or arguments to support the petition and in opposition to this denial. Failure to respond to this request will result in the denial of the petition."

Did you request a waiver when you submitted your petition? If not, that could be why you got a NOID.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Nagi,

According to the OP, his one previous filing was in 1999 and resulted in a marriage that was terminated in 2006. If I understand IMBRA laws correctly, the OP would have no reason to request a waiver upon filing, would he?

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Nagi,

According to the OP, his one previous filing was in 1999 and resulted in a marriage that was terminated in 2006. If I understand IMBRA laws correctly, the OP would have no reason to request a waiver upon filing, would he?

-P

Correct, but I would get a lawyer involved and have the lawyer file a letter requesting a waiver to the multi K-1 rule on the grounds that it does not apply in this case.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Nagi,

-P

Correct, but I would get a lawyer involved and have the lawyer file a letter requesting a waiver to the multi K-1 rule on the grounds that it does not apply in this case.

You said it better than I did. That is exactly what I meant.The OP has to request a waiver.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline
I would be pretty pissed if I moved to America from another country only to find out that my future husband has been living with his ex wife all along. LOTS of deception.

And by saying "my fiancee wouldn't understand the situation if I told her" do you mean that she wouldn't continue the relationship she has with you if she knew?

Hmmm, I hesitated adding that little detail. I only did because in trying to understand the NOID I speculated if a preliminary background check was conducted on my ex-wife and it was discovered she recently established a mailing address here. I am really only looking for help from anyone with advice in my dealings with the USCIS. I will try to manage my relationships. To clarify, however, my domestic situation is not one I asked for. My ex-wife has not lived here all along. She showed up one day five months ago, unannounced, over a year since I last saw her and after I was already engaged. She needed help. She helped me buy this house. I felt indebted to her. I was very clear to her from day one. I have also been in a mode for the past year of working every day all day and then making month-long excursions to see my fiancee. My ex-wife has been invaluable in caretaking the property. Soon, she will move out. She has a boyfriend. I wanted to tell my fiancee but you know long-distance relationships are tough. No, I haven't been as forthcoming to her. If I told her I am sure she would continue our relationship but with a lot of unneeded worry. I have not broken any trust of fidelity I have with my fiancee. In many ways, my ex-wife has helped me maintain this trust. It has been nice having a female confidant and someone I have been through this process with. My fiancee knows my ex-wife moved back to the area. Last time I saw her she introduced me to her ex-fiancee as they are involved in a property sell. I have always been suspicious of people with contempt for their past lovers. Assuming all goes well and she does make it here, she will meet my ex-wife. As I mentioned, my friends and family find the situation a bit odd as do some of you. Hang in there, perhaps you will be in a similar situation in the future of those you are currently enamored with. Post about it after you kick them to the curb. Meanwhile, anyone with useful information please?

Timeline
Nagi,

-P

You said it better than I did. That is exactly what I meant.The OP has to request a waiver.

Thank you all for bringing this post back on track.

No, I did not file a waiver with my petition as I interpreted that it did not apply in my case.

I am still thinking an overworked USCIS contract worker made a mistake in reading dates.

I will certainly file a waiver stating my filing history. Do you really think it is necessary to have a lawyer do this?

And should other requirements of the IMBRA not highlighted in the NOID be addressed (criminal history, which does not remotely exist and

our initial meeting through an international marriage broker, which is as clear as mud, and checked no on application)?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Nagi,

-P

Thank you all for bringing this post back on track.

No, I did not file a waiver with my petition as I interpreted that it did not apply in my case.

I am still thinking an overworked USCIS contract worker made a mistake in reading dates.

I will certainly file a waiver stating my filing history. Do you really think it is necessary to have a lawyer do this?

And should other requirements of the IMBRA not highlighted in the NOID be addressed (criminal history, which does not remotely exist and

our initial meeting through an international marriage broker, which is as clear as mud, and checked no on application)?

Having a lawyer shows them that you mean business, they can intimidate common citizens, but having someone who knows the law file the waiver stops the intimidation. This is one of the cases where having a lawyer handle this small part of the case is justified. For most cases a lawyer is not needed, we did not need one, but when you hit a snag it is best to use a professional to handle the snag.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.