Melrose Plant

What is the weirdest food you ate in SE Asia?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I hope some of these stories can take our minds off the darker side of life.

Hands down, the weirdest thing I ate in Vietnam was a raw, still-beating snake heart. That, like most weird things women over there like to make you eat, it supposed to be good for "men's health."

I have two brothers-in-law in Vietnam. The younger is in his early forties, and the older is about 55. The younger of my brothers, who doesn't speak English at all, kept telling me how excited he was to introduce me with snake meat, and he kept telling me how he would take me to this special restaurant where you can choose your snake while it is still alive.

So what they do is bring out this snake to your table (in our case, one of them was a hooded cobra, and the other was also a pretty good sized snake), and they knock out its fangs so it can't bite them, then they take a razor blade and cut its heart out and toss it in a glass of vodka. Then they turn the snake upside down and drain the blood into a pitcher. They mix the blood about 1/2 and 1/2 with wine, and you are supposed to drink this. Then, some lucky person gets to eat the raw, still-beating snake heart. You just down it whole, like an oyster.

The younger brother had been buttering me up for this for some time, but when the moment of truth came, he decided to let his older brother take the lead. So anh Huỳnh (the older brother) and I downed the snake hearts simultaneously. I wasn't so much worried about eating the heart in and of itself, but I was a little worried about what might happen a few hours or days afterwards. Luckily, I suffered no ill effects at all, although it is a very curious sensation to feel the beating heart in one's stomach.

After all this, I found out that NONE of the family, including anh Nguyên, the younger brother, had ever eaten the snake heart before, they were too scared. I felt a little gypped! I thought they did this all the time!

Anyway, please tell your stories about weird (to us) food. I am curious to know how you fared in Asia as a non-tourist. Anyone eaten dog or cat meat yet?

P.S. My American brother-in-law, my sister's husband, did try a little of the blood/wine, but he chased it pretty quickly with a whole glass of water. Haha.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry if I sound rude.... but that sounds absolutely rude to me!!!!

The weirdest thing we eat in Canada is Putine (french fries with cheese curds and gravy)!!!!!

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Hands down, the weirdest thing I ate in Vietnam was a raw, still-beating snake heart. That, like most weird things women over there like to make you eat, it supposed to be good for "men's health."

My wife is from Malaysia and keeps saying "you made me eat cheese while I was in the US so I'm going to make you eat Durian when you come to KL" :blush:

03/21/06- Met online

10/13/06- Met in person (Los Angeles USA) (three weeks)

12/20/06- Met in person (Kuala Lumpur Malaysia) (three weeks)

02/13/07- Met in person (Nagoya Japan) (two days)

06/21/07- Met in person (Portland Oregon (via PDX), USA) (three weeks)

11/30/07- Met in person (Portland Oregon (via LAX), USA) (six weeks)

12/12/07- Got married (In a Light House!!!)

01/18/08- I-130 sent

01/21/08- I-130 received at Chicago Lock Box

02/15/08- Check cashed

02/26/08- NOA1 received (Notice date: 2/12/2008)

02/19/08- Touched

04/23/08- Met in person (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) (one week)

04/30/08- Here I am in USA!!!!

05/19/08- I-130 approved!

05/27/08- NVC received our application and case number assigned

06/02/08- DS-3032 sent & AOS Bill Generated

06/05/08- Paid AOS Bill online

06/16/08- DS-3032 email accepted by NVC

08/28/08- Case completed!

10/21/08- Interview date (Rescheduled by US Embassy- Original date 10/28)-PASSED!!!

10/22/08- Visa in hand!

10/31/08- POE- Seattle, WA

11/12/08- Received SSN in mail!

11/20/08- Got my WA driving license!

I-751

08/03/10- I-751 sent

08/09/10- NOA

08/24/10- Biometrics

10/28/10- Case approved

.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Dog in S. Korea, monkey and balut in the Philippines, snake while in Jungle Evasion Survival Training in Okinawa and a whole bunch of different kinds of fried bugs in Thailand.......

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Dog in S. Korea, monkey and balut in the Philippines, snake while in Jungle Evasion Survival Training in Okinawa and a whole bunch of different kinds of fried bugs in Thailand.......

I'm much like you there. I will try anything as long as eatable. Sometimes I don't eat for taste...I trained myself to eat that way because I was an ex-military guy. If you can eat the military original Meal Ready to Eat (MRE)...you can eat anything. :yes:

Edited by ThaiStyleUSA

animated%20usa%20flag1.gifanimated%20thailand%20flag.gif

Thai Style USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Links:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=106...amp;ref=profile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/223365857736847/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411770628885582/

http://www.thaiworldnetwork.com

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Not weird but smart eating:

Fresh of the farm shrimps with heads and tails, still jumping.

Freshly chopped coconut.

Cut a big enough hold on the top of the coconut, open it up like lit, then deep the fresh jumping shrimp inside the coconut. Cook it with all the acid in the coconut juice (so they say!). The shrimp did get cooked and very juice!

if you want a little wassabi, go ahead! Fresh shrimp tastes so great anyway you eat it!

Regards about the Snake Heart. Not sure if the boys in VN were scare, but it's true not all Vietnamese men get to eat the heart. Just because there is only 1 heart at each party, and most likely the guest of honor would get to eat it, they wouldn't have been to that many Snake Heart Party! So, it's true they never eaten the heart, but I doubt it because they are afraid!

Heart and Blood: I would be more concern about the blood :) Hep B and C! Oh well, the blief is the vodka will kill the virus/germs :) so drink up and eat up!

Cheers :thumbs:

PS. Great story!

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife is from Malaysia and keeps saying "you made me eat cheese while I was in the US so I'm going to make you eat Durian when you come to KL" :blush:

Durian is good. I'm not sure why people make a big deal out of it. Tastes like vanilla custard. Strangest thing would be insects but that really isn't strange.

I should add, the smell of Durian is a little strange (sulfur like)...you will definitely remember it a day or two after eating it every time you burp. I couldn't get enough of it but it is pretty rich.

Edited by Jamie76

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

OK, I finally got my fiancee to admit that she eats chicken bones. I knew she ate chicken feet and heads, but I could never seem to catch her eating the bones. I would look over at her plate, and there were no bones, and I said, "What happened to the bones? Did you eat them?" She only laughed, and wouldn't answer.

The people of Hanoi seem to have unusually strong teeth, and I guess they can do things like that. I wouldn't dare, I've got way too much money invested in dental work!

I ate balut and that was weird. I actually had five of them at one sitting but think the San Miguel had some influence in that :P

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Durian is good. I'm not sure why people make a big deal out of it. Tastes like vanilla custard. Strangest thing would be insects but that really isn't strange.

I should add, the smell of Durian is a little strange (sulfur like)...you will definitely remember it a day or two after eating it every time you burp. I couldn't get enough of it but it is pretty rich.

Durian isn't really weird. But I don't care for it. It doesn't taste as bad as it smells, but you do get an aftertaste for a at least a few hours afterwards when you burp.

Durian reminds me of fermented herring that you can get in Sweden. Very strong smell.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I've eaten Hot vit lon and incubated quail eggs.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Posting for my husband - it's avocado juice :lol:

He thought it was weird at the beginning but he said it actually taste good.

For me, durian is acquired taste. Personally I do not care about it at all, but there are people who crave for it (my dad is one :lol: )

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.