Jeraly

~July 2007 K-1 Filers~

4,632 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

:lol:

you know you're welcome any time :)

*goes to prepare booby-traps and add salt to the sugar* :P

I cook loads of things from scratch... I hate hate HATE the waste of packaging that goes alone with single-serving things, or prepared meals, or whatever, and I want to have control over what's in the stuff I'm eating ;)

plus, it's fun! these rolls the other day were to die for; I mixed all-purpose flour, and just a tiny bit of wholemeal flour, did the whole yeast thing with warm water and a pinch of sugar, then added the yeast mixture to the flour and added some salt, a tiny bit more sugar, and spoonful of olive oil... left it to rise for about an hour, then made the rolls, and cooked them at about 450F; just before putting them in the oven I added a little curl of butter (real butter ;) ) and a dash of garlic salt and paprika to the tops

they came out all warm and fluffy and UNBELIEVABLY YUMMY :D

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

:(

*hug*

come and visit us, and I will make you rolls, and more besides :D

truly though, it's not difficult! you should have a go yourself :)

I was always a bit scared of making bread, because of using yeast, and not knowing how it all worked, but it's easy-peasy; I made last week's batch after coming home from work :)

let me know if you want step by step instructions, and you shall have them :)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I was always a bit scared of making bread, because of using yeast, and not knowing how it all worked, but it's easy-peasy; I made last week's batch after coming home from work :)

I'm curious how you learned, b/c I feel the same way. I love going off recipes too but the whole yeast thing... did you follow instructions the first time or wing it? Learn by trial & error?

K1

------------------------------------

07.12.07 - I-129f petition mailed

07.13.07 - I-129f received by VSC

07.18.07 - NOA1 notice

07.20.07 - check cashed

07.22.07 - touch

11.29.07 - NOA2, waited 140 days

11.30.07 - touch

12.03.07 - NVC Received

12.05.07 - NVC Left

12.10.07 - Consulate Rec'd

12.13.07 - Packet 3 Rec'd

03.13.08 - Packet 3 sent back to Montreal

04.08.08 - eligible for interview

05.13.08 - Packet 4 Rec'd

06.02.08 - Interview!

06.09.08 - Visa in hand!

06.16.08 - move date, POE via Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY

06.20.08 - civil wedding

AOS

06.25.08 - AOS package sent

06.30.08 - received in Chicago

07.07.08 - NOA1 for 485 (AOS), 765 (EAD), & 131 (AP), rec'd in mail 07.14.08

07.09.08 - touch on all 3

07.10.08 - check cashed

07.28.08 - case transferred to CSC

08.02.08 - Biometrics

08.03.08 - touch on AOS

08.04.08 - touch on AOS & EAD

08.05.08 - touch on EAD

08.06.08, 08.07.08, 08.21.08, 08.22.08 - touch on AOS

09.03.08 - EAD approved!

09.04.08 - touch on EAD

09.05.08 - EAD card arrives in mail

09.06.08 - AP arrives in mail (no updates online or via email)

09.23.08 - touch on AOS

09.24.08 - welcome letter mailed

09.25.08 - touch on AOS

09.30.08 - AOS approved

10.01.08 - touch on AOS

10.04.08 - Green Card received

02.21.09 - "real" wedding in Montreal

Filed: Timeline
:(

*hug*

come and visit us, and I will make you rolls, and more besides :D

truly though, it's not difficult! you should have a go yourself :)

let me know if you want step by step instructions, and you shall have them :)

After your banana bread recipe (zomg that was *SO* good!!!) I'm gonna give your rolls a try. I think I can do it from your description, but I'll yell if I need help! :thumbs:

Timeline

I'm curious how you learned, b/c I feel the same way. I love going off recipes too but the whole yeast thing... did you follow instructions the first time or wing it? Learn by trial & error?

bit of both... I read through some tips on the internet (of course everyone's ideas were slightly different, but after reading a few some general principles started to come through), and we have this fabulous little book of World Breads, which Dave bought me when I first arrived - I haven't actually made any specialty ones yet, but again there were some general guidelines in the front, which were helpful

and then I just launched in :D

there were never any errors, as such, but some batches were definitely better than others ;)

so glad you liked the banana bread, moxy! :)

I hope you like the rolls too... I think my description was a little vague though, specially as to amounts, so here are the details:

1. put one cup of WARM water in a bowl (not too hot, not too cold; I test with my finger and when it's just above lukewarm I go with that ;) )

2. add one little sachet of yeast (or about two teaspoons) to the water; sprinkle in a pinch of white sugar and stir gently

3. leave for about ten minutes, after which time the water should be cloudy and the yeast starting to froth slightly

4. while you're waiting for the yeast mixture to be ready, put two and a half cups of flour in a bowl; all but two generous dessert spoonsful should be all-purpose flour (the two dessert spoonsful should be wholemeal flour); mix in two teaspoons of salt, and two teaspoons of white sugar

5. when yeast mixture is ready, make a shallow well in the top of the dry flour, and pour the water in; mix briefly, then add a tablespoon of olive oil; continue mixing

6. as soon as dough starts to come together, get it out of the bowl with your hands... it will probably be fairly sticky, so sprinkle all-purpose flour on the bench to knead it on; do this as many times as needed (you want the dough to stay fairly wet and a bit sticky, but not be unmanageable... add only a little flour at a time because you don't want the dough to become too firm)

7. when it's reasonably even in consistency, form it into a ball (you don't have to be too exact with this; just a vaguely uniform lump will do ;) ) and put it back in the bowl; cover with a tea towel and leave for at least an hour

8. after an hour, the dough should have risen; get it out of the bowl again and knead it briefly to get rid of most of the air

9. form dough into small balls - this amount should make around eight or nine small dinner-type rolls

10. place in baking dish(es) as required; it's nicer if you make the rolls touch on at least one side, so then you can break them off each other when you're serving them; smells SO good :D (I use a series of loaf pans, putting three in a row down the middle of each one, but you can do whatever really... I've put them straight onto a non-stick surface with no extra greasing and they've come off with no problems at all; if you're worried about them sticking I recommend cornmeal lightly sprinkled into the pan before putting the dough in; works like a charm :yes: )

11. make a shallow indent in the top of each roll (just press your thumb in lightly, or press with the back of a spoon) and place a shaving of butter in each indentation; shake some seasoning over each roll (I use garlic salt and paprika, but use what you like!)

12. cook for around 10 - 15 min at 450F (this is the real trial and error part, I find; all ovens are different... I have a gas oven, and find if the oven is pre-warmed, and I put the rolls in a lower shelf, they take around 10 min at this temp, but you might need shorter or longer... basically they should just be starting to brown when you take them out. Too short and they'll be doughy in the middle; too long and they'll be a little crisp... but too long is better than too short I think!)

eat with great relish and enjoyment, and make sure EVERYONE at the table knows you made them yourself!! :D

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Timeline

sure :D

Ingredients:

1 cup white sugar

½ cup of brown sugar

½ cup of butter

2 eggs

1 cup sour cream

4 very ripe bananas, mashed

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 tablespoon maple syrup

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmeg

¼ teaspoon salt

1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

1 ½ cups plain flour

¾ cup wholemeal flour

½ cup chopped walnuts

½ cup sultanas

Before beginning, grease two medium loaf baking pans. Mix a small amount of white sugar and cinnamon together, and dust the inside of the baking pans with the mixture.

Mix white and brown sugar together until evenly mixed.

Add butter and mix with sugar.

Add eggs, sour cream and bananas.

Add vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.

Add baking powder and flour.

Add walnuts and sultanas.

Pour mixture evenly into baking pans, place walnuts on the top if desired.

Cook for an hour at 300F. After one hour, test; if not cooked through, increase heat to 350F and test at ten minute intervals.

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

On the homefront here: my mother-in-law is driving me absolutely crazy, and she doesn't even live near us, she's in Canada! She's trying to change some of my wedding plans and she has an opinion about EVERYTHING, even little stuff. She wanted to change my freaking signature drink. Um, who's wedding is this? That's right, mine. :angry:

ah yes, i remember this situation well...except it was my mother, not his

you have to give a lil reminder every once in a while...im pretty sure that she had her turn, now it's yours :yes:

Removal of Conditions NOA: 2/24/11

Biometrics Appt: 8/15/11

ROC Approval: 9/30/11

Card Production Ordered: 10/11/11

Card Received: 10/15/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
5. when yeast mixture is ready
This step should be the yeast of one's worries, si man.
eat with great relish
I'm out of relish; may I use mustard and ketchup, or perhaps treacle, si man?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

you know, I saw that joke coming about half an hour ago, but hoped you wouldn't be around today to make it :P

no points for you :P

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Timeline

many points for you :D

PS meant to add: the recipe for rolls also makes a great pizza base :)

MUCH cheaper and better for you than store-bought bases (and, needless to say, than pizza from a fast-food place ;) )

and FAR less landfill, because there's no packaging :)

if anyone wants my recipe for pizza sauce, just ask... at which point I will start a new recipes thread to keep from clogging this one :D

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.