Waiting in Vancouver

Things that make you go hmmmmm ??

42 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I am currently living on the west coast in Canada (soon to be moving down to Illinois) ... Anyway here is a little story.

In the building complex that I live in, my designated outside parking spot is right beside the dumpsters. On many occasions when getting in my car there will be, for lack of a better word, "homeless people" digging in the dumpster looking for what not. I am always kind to them and usually if I have some empty pop cans or water bottles I will hand to them from my car. These "homeless people" in the suburb that I live in are all adults and probably have had some bad luck which has put them on the street and not by choice so I don't have a problem giving them a little help.

This one afternoon I was just about to get into my car when I hear this cell phone ringing ... I start digging for my cell phone and relise that it wasn't mine. I start to look around to see where it is coming from and all of a sudden one of these "homeless people" pop his head out of the dumpster and starts talking on his cell phone ...

Just vision this guy standing in a dumpster and all you can see is his shoulders and head sticking out the top and he is talking on a cell phone. I thought to my self "this is unbelievable". This guy is digging through the dumpster for what not yet he can afford to have a cell phone. I wonder if he makes his living digging through the dumpsters and sells things at the local pawn shop. And maybe he lives in a nice a house and has a nice car and really isn't "homeless" ... It just makes me go hmmmmm ??

What other things haave made you go hmmmmm ??

Its also possible that said homeless person had a family that cared about him and gave him a cell phone but couldnt for whatever reason (and yes there are reasons there) couldnt care for him in their home.. (ie drug abuse.. its very common in homeless people)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Poverty in the Western world is really just a lower standard of living. You can't compare it

to poverty in third-world countries and go hmmm when you see a bum with a cell phone.

Most people under the poverty line in the US not only have enough to eat but also own TVs,

MP3 and DVD players, dishwashers, and some even their own homes.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
Dumpster diving??? :huh:

I don't think I could do that sober !

Once I saw a woman on line at the market wearing a full length fur coat and a HUGE rock on her finger paying with food stamps...It was an affluent suburb that I was shopping in...I was 22 and broke-buying store brand cat food with my last $5 until payday ... It made me rather angry at the time, and actually it still does now, 15 years later !

-Rose

Rose.. please this is not directed at you but I am quoting your post ok... no harm intended to anyone..

It is sad to think that we as humans will and do make these kinds of judgments on people based on what they wear or what they drive.

When in line at the grocery store.. and you see someone pay with WIC or Food Stamps.. how do you actually know that these items are being bought for the person using them? This person in the FUR COAT and diamond could very well be a care giver or a helper or someone like that providing service for a indigent or other person unable to do the shopping themselves. I often have clients that are incapable of making a trip to the store.. and if I or neighbors or friends did not take their Foodstamp cards in and purchase for them they would not eat! Does that make me look bad because I am standing in line using it?

One who passes judgements based on what is first percepted.. usually gets a chunk bit off from their nose..

I remember one time.. like 12 years ago.. I was a single mom.. going to college.. working 3 jobs.. yes 3 jobs.. just to pay the basic bills... I qualified for FS and WIC.. my mother.. came to visit.. to help me.. .. she would go do my shopping .. .. one day.. at SAFEWAY.. she was pulled out of line.. moved to a different. line ( and attitude of the checker drastically changed negitively) only due to the fact she was using FS... . NO ONE should ever be flagged nor chastisied for using... It was not that she was any less of a person.. just cause she used a benefit.. I have since never shopped at this store chain nor will I.. goes to show their people skills and tack.. .. comeon folks...

Please remember you never know whooo is the products are for... .. walk a mile in someone elses shoes please...

Love isn't love unless it is expressed;

caring isn't caring unless the other person knows;

sharing isn't sharing unless the other person is included

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

hmmmm cell phone + homeless = illegal activity

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Uhh what?? Homeless are people too with families and friends to keep in touch with.. It is NOT illegal for a homeless person to have a cell phone, nor does it necessarily indicate illegal activity.. You dont know them, you dont know the reasons behind having a cell phone. DO NOT judge people if you have no clue what the story behind their life is. You dont know anything about them. There are plenty of valid reasons for a homeless person to have a cell phone. So dont say that having a cell phone and being homeless means illegal activity. You dont know and you can't know. :(:angry:

Timeline

Uhh what?? Homeless are people too with families and friends to keep in touch with.. It is NOT illegal for a homeless person to have a cell phone, nor does it necessarily indicate illegal activity.. You dont know them, you dont know the reasons behind having a cell phone. DO NOT judge people if you have no clue what the story behind their life is. You dont know anything about them. There are plenty of valid reasons for a homeless person to have a cell phone. So dont say that having a cell phone and being homeless means illegal activity. You dont know and you can't know. :(:angry:

Oh it is in Brazil ;)

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

Timeline

it's a disguise for the fbi to watch people with :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

it's a disguise for the fbi to watch people with :whistle:

oh yeah i've seen that in movies. Does that really happen in the US?

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm originally from Toronto, where there used to be (until it was bulldozed) a Tent City. Now, most people would think that the residents of Tent City were indigent homeless drug addicts and schizophrenics. And I suppose some were.

However, some of the residents there were clean and healthy, and also had full time jobs. These jobs however only paid minimum or slightly more than minimum wage. Making minimum wage in Toronto is a pittance, and not nearly enough to live on. Unless you live in a tent, and use the showers at the local shelter on your way to work. Average rents in Toronto are well over $1000 per month, Plus utilities. If you're making $7 an hour 40 hours per week, how do you pay rent AND eat? You don't. So you live in a tent until they tell you the land is condemned and you have to leave.

In Canada you don't have to pass a credit score in order to get a phone. And with the Pay as You Go plans, you don't even need a permanent address.

Dumpster diving in and of itself does not mean a person is homeless, or sick, or doing anything illegal (if you tossed it in the garbage, its fair game!) unless there's a No Trespassing sign on it. Everyone needs a few extra bucks every now and then, that's why Yard Sales are legal :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Dumpster diving in and of itself does not mean a person is homeless, or sick, or doing anything illegal (if you tossed it in the garbage, its fair game!) unless there's a No Trespassing sign on it. Everyone needs a few extra bucks every now and then, that's why Yard Sales are legal :P

I live in an aprtment complex and you should see some of the things people throw out as their moving, I used to watch people dumpster diving and kinda frown, but now I have to admit.....I've spotted people leaving things in our dumpster area and snuck out later to grab something. They even tend to put the good things like stereo's, TV's, CD's etc off to one side in the enclosure so people can grab them without getting dirty.

You could nicely furnish a home about once a month with some the things people leave as their moving. Two months ago when my neighbors moved out they decided they were throwing out everything they hadn't used in a year, but before taking these things out to the dumpster they came by to see if I might be interested. I only took a couple of things, but of the things I took that would have been in the dumpster were a brand new still in the box answering machine, a brand new cordless phone, an electric roaster that had never been taking out of the box and was till sealed in plastic shrink wrap on the outside. There were tons of other things that had just never even been opened like that they threw out.

Dumpster diving could be profitable!

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

Timeline

I live in an aprtment complex and you should see some of the things people throw out as their moving, I used to watch people dumpster diving and kinda frown, but now I have to admit.....I've spotted people leaving things in our dumpster area and snuck out later to grab something. They even tend to put the good things like stereo's, TV's, CD's etc off to one side in the enclosure so people can grab them without getting dirty.

You could nicely furnish a home about once a month with some the things people leave as their moving. Two months ago when my neighbors moved out they decided they were throwing out everything they hadn't used in a year, but before taking these things out to the dumpster they came by to see if I might be interested. I only took a couple of things, but of the things I took that would have been in the dumpster were a brand new still in the box answering machine, a brand new cordless phone, an electric roaster that had never been taking out of the box and was till sealed in plastic shrink wrap on the outside. There were tons of other things that had just never even been opened like that they threw out.

Dumpster diving could be profitable!

makes me wonder if consumerism is going to far when that above happens.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Timeline

a guy I used to know worked on a garbage truck. He used to take home some really good stuff that he'd find at the curb every morning. Some of it was absolute ####### and drove his wife nutz of course, but hell, they furnished their first home together with stuff he picked up. Like leather chair, a nice couch, a kitchen table, washer & dryer...

Why is it ok for the garbage collectors to get all that stuff and not for anyone else to go diving for it? hell I know some people who get up early on Monday mornings just to check and see what their neighbours have put out to the curb!

I need a new dryer, if anyone sees one lyin around anywhere, let me know eh? ;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

i have had in my past homeless people referred to me..they were dirt azz poor,...most were licked out of the state mental hospiatals pnto the streets without any street smarts or ability to cope..it was sad and they were ######..over 60% were mentally retarded...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
i have had in my past homeless people referred to me..they were dirt azz poor,...most were licked out of the state mental hospiatals pnto the streets without any street smarts or ability to cope..it was sad and they were ######..over 60% were mentally retarded...

I go to LAX (Los Angeles Airport) very often. I've gotten to be very familiar with the shifts of guys that hang out at the main exit off the freeway and it's interesting to note their personalities:

We've got-

6:00am-12:00pm: Down to earth, out of luck older black man. Seems to be a fairly normal guy who's just out of work. Holds up his sign patiently, but stays out of your way.

12:00pm-5:00pm: Actively begging, but possibly mute young black man. He's working it. Actually goes up to the cars waiting at the exit to your window- sometimes 5 to 10 cars back in line, but I've noticed he doesn't say thank you when you give him money. Still, I admire his work ethic.

5:00pm-10:00pm: Dirty white man wrapped in a filthy blanket: Never asks for anything directly. Never looks at anyone in the eye. I'm not even sure if he's got a sign or if he's sure where he is. Looks vaguely like some pictures of Jesus.

I think there are some others but I'm only there during normal working hours.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Dumpster diving??? :huh:

I don't think I could do that sober !

Once I saw a woman on line at the market wearing a full length fur coat and a HUGE rock on her finger paying with food stamps...It was an affluent suburb that I was shopping in...I was 22 and broke-buying store brand cat food with my last $5 until payday ... It made me rather angry at the time, and actually it still does now, 15 years later !

-Rose

Rose.. please this is not directed at you but I am quoting your post ok... no harm intended to anyone..

It is sad to think that we as humans will and do make these kinds of judgments on people based on what they wear or what they drive.

When in line at the grocery store.. and you see someone pay with WIC or Food Stamps.. how do you actually know that these items are being bought for the person using them? This person in the FUR COAT and diamond could very well be a care giver or a helper or someone like that providing service for a indigent or other person unable to do the shopping themselves. I often have clients that are incapable of making a trip to the store.. and if I or neighbors or friends did not take their Foodstamp cards in and purchase for them they would not eat! Does that make me look bad because I am standing in line using it?

One who passes judgements based on what is first percepted.. usually gets a chunk bit off from their nose..

I remember one time.. like 12 years ago.. I was a single mom.. going to college.. working 3 jobs.. yes 3 jobs.. just to pay the basic bills... I qualified for FS and WIC.. my mother.. came to visit.. to help me.. .. she would go do my shopping .. .. one day.. at SAFEWAY.. she was pulled out of line.. moved to a different. line ( and attitude of the checker drastically changed negitively) only due to the fact she was using FS... . NO ONE should ever be flagged nor chastisied for using... It was not that she was any less of a person.. just cause she used a benefit.. I have since never shopped at this store chain nor will I.. goes to show their people skills and tack.. .. comeon folks...

Please remember you never know whooo is the products are for... .. walk a mile in someone elses shoes please...

I was a foster parent for 4 yrs. I used to get a requisition from the gov't to buy clothes for the kids I got. Sometimes I got them for food, if I got a bunch of surprise kids or if some were going home for visits I would get food for their visit.

People would look down at me, I saw the stares and them shake their heads. I know it really p'd them off when they saw me get into a new van. I am sure they assumed I was popping out babies and on welfare.

So yeah, it is not always what it seems.

I find it sad....and I include myself...to hear 'I would never dumpster dive'. Most of use would not no matter what. I can't imagine eating from a dumpster no matter how hungry I was. But many people.....many of them from other worlds would much rather do that than take a hand out.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards