Davejay656

I'm Flabberghasted

16 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi folks,

Just thought we'd keep you posted. Strange things are happening. We sent in our I-130 petition on March 18th. We got a letter back last week saying that the paperwork was Incomplete.

You'll never guess what they asked for. . . They want a copy of the Marriage Certificate from my husband's first marriage!!! That came out of the blue. As per the instructions, we sent in EVERYTHING they asked for, including my husbands Divorce certificate from his Ex wife. Surely if there was a divorce certificate, there must have been a marriage certificate, but why on earth would they want that item??? Beats us! Never mind, we got a copy and sent it off today. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Just thought we'd let you all know. Be prepared for anything :huh:

Trish and Dave

Yeah they require it for K1 as well - all marriage certs from previous marriages. Not sure why as a legal divorce REQUIRES you to submit your marriage cert to the judge - but hey ho - I had to shell out for a new copy myself

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

No worries. When we sent ours in - and included EVERYTHING - they sent us..and RFE I guess that wanted photocopies of every page of Stewarts passport. It didn't delay us and was no issue but it hadn't ASKED for that...

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

That is really weird. I never heard of such a thing, requiring marriage certificates from previous marriages. Understandably, I had to submit the divorce final but marriage certificates :wacko:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

H MY GOSH if they require the certificate..... guess ill have to send a request and find where to get...

I tore mine up the day I kicked the Abusive SOB out..

Love isn't love unless it is expressed;

caring isn't caring unless the other person knows;

sharing isn't sharing unless the other person is included

H MY GOSH if they require the certificate..... guess ill have to send a request and find where to get...

I tore mine up the day I kicked the Abusive SOB out..

:lol:

gawd.....how rediculous...I wouldn't even know where to for look for mine....I have only just got a copy of my absolute....I am ####### at keeping very important documents... :wacko:

Filed: Other Country: Lebanon
Timeline

on our list it asked for our's too...but we dont have them. i am here in Lebanon with my husband and both our first marriages were in the USA and neither of us have the cert. we did send our divorce papers.....hopefully that will sufice, if not guess ill be callin the clerk in our town..............hope they wont need em, its takin long enough as it is

June 11 05-Married George, civil ceremony in New York

May 30 08-Baby Joshua was born

Jan 15-Back to NY we go...

May 10-made decision not to go back overseas.

July 10-filed for divorce

Jan 11-Divorce final

July 11-1st trip to take Josh to see George

Mar 12-2nd trip to take Josh to see George

MfXV.jpg.png

1LR1.jpg.png

Yeah they require it for K1 as well - all marriage certs from previous marriages. Not sure why as a legal divorce REQUIRES you to submit your marriage cert to the judge - but hey ho - I had to shell out for a new copy myself

At what stage do you need this? Just a certified copy or what? :unsure:

K-1 Process

---------------------------

April 20, 2006 - Filed I-129F (Ahhhhh finally!)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED!

September 28, 2006 - Interview!

September 29, 2006 - VISA in hand!

October 14, 2006 - WEDDING DATE!

AOS & EAD Process

----------------------------

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

December 27, 2006 - Filed AOS and EAD paperwork

January 3, 2006 - Receipt date of NOA1

January 11, 2007 - 'touched'

January 17, 2007 - transferred to CSC

January 19, 2007 - biometrics appointment

January 22, 2007 - 'touched'

January 23, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

January 24, 2007 - 'touched'

January 31, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

February 1, 2007 - GREEN CARD ORDERED!!!

February 5, 2007 - Received Welcome Letter

February 11, 2007 - received GREEN CARD!!

Lifting Conditions

----------------------------

December 31, 2008 - filed I-751

January 10, 2009 - received 1-year extension letter

January 28, 2009 - biometrics

February 13, 2009 - 10-year green card ordered

Filed: Timeline
Hi folks,

You'll never guess what they asked for. . . They want a copy of the Marriage Certificate from my husband's first marriage!!! That came out of the blue. Trish and Dave

Very strange requirement indeed.....

However - I have a question for you:

Is your husband the petitioner or are YOU the petitioner? If your husband is the petitioner, then, when the I-130 was filed and accepted, he HAD had to submit his divorce certificate copy. The I-130 requires one to submit an original AND a photocopy of ONLY the divorce certficate, NOT the PREVIOUS marriage certficate. The original will then be returned to the petitioner.

If YOU are the petitioner (in which case your husband is the applicant/beneficiary), then yes - they do ask for the previous marriage certficate AS WELL AS his divorce certficate. Strange but true.

So, who is the petitioner? If its your husband, then what they are asking you at this point is incorrect - surely a mistake on their part. I would call and let them clarify.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Agrawala: Are you saying that if the beneficiary (the non-USC to avoid confusion!) has been married before, then it is quite normal (and should be expected) to be asked for the marriage certificate from the first marriage?

What a nightmare if it is so; I had to relinquish the marriage certificate to the court that processed my annulment so I don't have it. :wacko:

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

This is what the embassy told me when I emailed them:

We regret the delay in responding to your email.

If you are not in possession of your previous marriage certificates, please furnish the original divorce certificates, plus one photocopy, during the interview.

Thank you for your e-mail correspondence.

Consular Information Unit

U.S. Embassy, London

CONS/CIU/SF

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

When my husband and I filed, I had been previously married and divorced. We were only asked for the divorce decree, and not the marriage certificate. Oh, and I'm the USC. I don't know why they would need a marriage certificate as long as they have the divorce decree. Seems a little like overkill to me.

David & Erin [br]5962a06.jpg.png

6/19/2002- Met Online

11/10/2002- Met in person for the first time at Buffalo International Airport we spend a blissful but all too short week together.

2/23/03- David proposes on the beach in Melbourne Florida at sunrise during his second visit.

9/26/03- After much talk with USCIS we decide to go ahead and get married during David's third visit, with David planning on returning to Ireland the following week.

9/30/03- Phone USCIS to ask questions on filling out paper work and USCIS officer informs us that if David is already here he doesn't need to leave. After numerous calls to the Irish Embassy and two more calls to USCIS to confirm, we decide he will stay.

12/02/03- Petition for AOS recieved

10/8/04- EAD FINALLY arrives

11/10/2004- Our Son Colin Michael Kieran born two years to the minute after our first face to face meeting!

1/26/06- Recieved interview appointment letter.

3/09/06- AOS approved! David is a permanent resident with stamp in passport.

4/4/06- Green card arrives. We are now free to travel back to Ireland so David can see his family for the first time in more than two years.

I have come across many posts recently when members have said for various applications from visa to AOS that former marriage certificates were needed. Today I went through the London Embassy web pages in detail and yes, it says "Marriage certificate* - the original or certified copy bearing the appropriate seal or stamp of the issuing authority for each of the applicant's marriages[/b]."

Edited by RMHurd

I feel Good...........like the moon is shining just for me!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

Eligible in November 2012

Agrawala: Are you saying that if the beneficiary (the non-USC to avoid confusion!) has been married before, then it is quite normal (and should be expected) to be asked for the marriage certificate from the first marriage?

What a nightmare if it is so; I had to relinquish the marriage certificate to the court that processed my annulment so I don't have it. :wacko:

Candace,

I am not saying that it is normal. All I am saying is that they require the marriage as well as divorce certificates from the beneficiary (this they do ask for in writing). Does not make sense to me, but .......

I am just not sure if they need the previous marriage(s) certificates from the USC (petitioner). DOes anyone on this thread know?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.