JVKn'CVO

Building up credit history

131 posts in this topic

As well as the US, Experian has operations in most European countries, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, South Africa, China, Japan and Australia. Also in Canada

Equifax is in the USA, Canada, and the UK.

TransUnion operates in 24 countries.

FICO score uses all three of the above. I had credit scores from all three in Canada yet nothing in the US. Basically what I'm saying is that your credit score should be able to be transfered from one country to another but it doesn't.

But in Canada they go off of your SIN number and in the states they go off your SSN. There is no way it can be transferred. Besides, it's two different countries. One has no right to access your credit rating in the other. Honestly, I'm glad about that.

Question for anyone: can you be arrested when you return to your home country if you haven't (weren't able to) pay your bill?

Answer to my own question: No. You can't.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still waiting to hear back on my application for an Amex card - anyone know how long that normally takes? Hopefull not as long as this visa process :lol:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Being added to your USC spouse's credit card will give you 'fake' history. Meaning, the score will partially attach to the foreign spouse's name, but a quick pull of the credit will show it's an authorized user and not the acct holder, which essentially means bubkus.

not anymore....rules changed Jan 1st - no more piggybacking

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
Being added to your USC spouse's credit card will give you 'fake' history. Meaning, the score will partially attach to the foreign spouse's name, but a quick pull of the credit will show it's an authorized user and not the acct holder, which essentially means bubkus.

Any one where know of a link where I can read more about this change? Is it to "authorized user status" only or "joint account holder" as well?

Yeah - that would be interesting to know :)

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Any one where know of a link where I can read more about this change? Is it to "authorized user status" only or "joint account holder" as well?

If you're joint account holders, both of you own the account, and it's not piggybacking, as the card would lead to a true history and not a fake one gleaned from someone else's score.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
anyone know how long that normally takes? Hopefull not as long as this visa process :lol:

hahahahaha

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Here: http://www.blackenterprise.com/cms/exclusi...en.aspx?id=4030

So, apparently only the FICO scoring system will not take an "authorized user" status into account. All three credit bureaus offer their own FICO alternatives. In other words, adding your SO as an authorised user to your credit card accounts might still be worthwhile.

By the way, getting a decent credit score is surprisingly easy. It took me just a year to get above 700.

I don't even know what my credit score is here... :unsure:

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Timeline

brtlmj,

Thank you for this link. Its pretty interesting, I didn't know that companies used/paid people with good credit to help with credit repair. Makes me think its probably those debt consolidation companies and not the consumer credit counseling companies.

My hubby just got his first credit card in his own name. We're really excited. We wanted to make sure we had access to credit/a score that was not in my name. In the last 3 months, I have received letters from organization saying that my name, address, and SSN has been lost. One of the organizations, filed a police report because their data was lost due to a break-in. I took the police report and placed a security freeze on my credit. I already had a fraud alert because of the first incident, but it was due to expire this month.

FYI for anyone curious, a security freeze prevents (1) anyone from looking at your credit score (except yourself, companies that already had access to your scores, and employment checks) and (2) new credit from being issued (loans, cards, etc). You have to contact each of the 3 credit bureas in writing, its free if you have a police report (rules vary by states, some places a letter or e-mail saying your infor has been "lost, misplaced" etc. will qualify for the free freeze.) Each credit bureau will give you a special code to temporarily suspend the freeze if you would like (to buy a car, home etc). Of course you can still use your credit cards....I think I read that they're may be problems using them for online transaction...I'm not sure if its true, but I'll let y'all know how that turns out.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

My hubby's credit card came in the mail on Saturday. He got a card through WaMu. Its a pretty nice deal, with a $100 or more transfer ($0 transfer fee) he gets 0% interest on NEW purchases until August 2009 plus he's able to view his FICO score for free. I'm not sure if WaMu gives all 3 scores, currently we can only see his TransUnion score. Maybe the others have updated? Who knows. Anyway, I did contact WaMu and they said that when we check his FICO while logged into their system its a "soft inquiry" and not reflected in his credit history/score.

Credit Bureaus recieved my security freeze last week. We were still able to use our joint card to buy phone cards online over the weekend.

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline
I'm not sure if WaMu gives all 3 scores, currently we can only see his TransUnion score. Maybe the others have updated? Who knows. Anyway, I did contact WaMu and they said that when we check his FICO while logged into their system its a "soft inquiry" and not reflected in his credit history/score.

Wamu usually give once a month credit score - for free - of the agency they used when they approve for the card (it could be Transunion, Experian or Equifax). The score is FICO score but it is bank enhanced score.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Haha - think Jeremy just got a card with WaMu as well :D I just got an Amex card which will be helpful hopefully when I move :)

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Most of the secured credit cards are a huge rip off so you have to dig !

I got a secured credit card from fifth third bank

No annual fee

no set up fee

no admin fee

I was going to keep 25k in their money market account anyway , so all they do is mark the bottom 5k as reserved for my card credit limit - it just means you cant take out the bottom 5k while your card is active..

you get interest on all the money in the account

I also begged a GM card -unsecured- because i had a gm card in the uk - they finally gave me one with a 500 limit

So now i have 2 credit cards and they cost me NOTHING

banks dont advertise secured cards much (not the free ones ), so you need to look very hard

alan

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I started to build my credit history by applying for a credit card at Wells Fargo where we have our joint accounts. I was approved for a $2000 limit unsecured cc and I paid on it regularly but kept a small amount on it. I was advised by several credit agencies that its always better to keep a small amount on the card but to make regular payments.

After that, my husband and I got utilities in both names and in August 2007 we bought our new house. It took me about a year to get a credit score of well over 700 on each bureau and ironically my scores are now better than my husbands :lol:

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.