Ben & Katy

Question about IV form DS 260

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Turned in all my documentation last Thursday, all my fees cleared last night and I filled out the IV application online.  I am all done!!!  

Somethings that worried me about the IV application;

on work and school history it didn't ask for my wife's school and work history.  It only asked what her occupation is now and what she plans on working in when she arrives, which i put she will go to English classes to get a better grasp of the language and then maybe eventually get back into wedding planning and floral design. 

After this on the next page it asked if she did military service.  I said no since she never served.  After that it skipped to the next section.  It didn't ask for work history nor school history. I know for other people it did ask for both of this. 

Also I had to put i don't know for her visa classification because the visa that she once had is no longer being issued for Mexican border tourists.  back in the 90's Mexicans that lived on the border received paper permission slips for six months called a Form 13.  It was given before they started giving visa laser border crossing cards to border Mexican citizens.  Is it a problem that I had to put don't know since it wasn't listed on the drop down menu?  We at least remembered the date she was issued and how much time she spent in Nogales,AZ back in the late 90's when she was a teenager.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Ben & Katy said:

Turned in all my documentation last Thursday, all my fees cleared last night and I filled out the IV application online.  I am all done!!!  

Somethings that worried me about the IV application;

on work and school history it didn't ask for my wife's school and work history.  It only asked what her occupation is now and what she plans on working in when she arrives, which i put she will go to English classes to get a better grasp of the language and then maybe eventually get back into wedding planning and floral design. 

After this on the next page it asked if she did military service.  I said no since she never served.  After that it skipped to the next section.  It didn't ask for work history nor school history. I know for other people it did ask for both of this. 

My wife's DS-260 only asked for her current employer, it didn't request any information about employment history beyond that. It also didn't ask for my wife's school history. That matches up with what you're saying. The I-130 is on file and contains employment history information.

Edited by shumway88

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

If you can't remember , don't know etc ... that isn't and issue.. we couldn't remember the visa type we entered with in 1980.. did not create any issue for us in our application in  2015

That’s such a relief.  I mean she was a minor back then it was amazing she even remembered when she entered the US 😆.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Unknown is a perfectly acceptable answer to any question, if it's true.  If a thing is easily "knowable" though, it's best to find the information, if possible.  If not possible, then no problem.

Just as an example, some people don't know their father's name.  However, most of the living mothers of those people DO know the father's name.  Those who don't, are likely to have been prostitutes.  So, people who don't know their father's name, should ask their mother, if living, before writing "unknown" for Dad's name.  ^_^

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
4 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Unknown is a perfectly acceptable answer to any question, if it's true.  If a thing is easily "knowable" though, it's best to find the information, if possible.  If not possible, then no problem.

Just as an example, some people don't know their father's name.  However, most of the living mothers of those people DO know the father's name.  Those who don't, are likely to have been prostitutes.  So, people who don't know their father's name, should ask their mother, if living, before writing "unknown" for Dad's name.  ^_^

The closest option they had was a border crossing card for Mexicans on the drop down but I couldn’t pick that either because it wasn’t a border crossing card.  Those were just barely getting implemented.  So we will see.  It’s all submitted now. It was called form 13 that proves Mexican citizenship with a USA immigration permission slip stapled to the back while again didn’t say anything besides Us citizenship and immigration services on it.  Didn’t say form I-whatever anywhere on it.  It was a very primitive setup back then.  We know because we still have an old copy of her mother’s form 13 and USA permission slip stapled to the back.  

Timeline

One more question guys that got me thinking.  When I logged in this morning I logged in as the petitioner to start the DS 260.  I asked my wife the questions over phone.  At the end I selected no for “did anyone assist you?” 

I had the impression that you would only select yes if you hired a lawyer.  Now it has gotten me freaking out because I have seen many different answers to this question. 

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Ben & Katy said:

One more question guys that got me thinking.  When I logged in this morning I logged in as the petitioner to start the DS 260.  I asked my wife the questions over phone.  At the end I selected no for “did anyone assist you?” 

I had the impression that you would only select yes if you hired a lawyer.  Now it has gotten me freaking out because I have seen many different answers to this question. 

"You" in this case is the immigrant, so your wife was assisted by her husband, you.  Just say so.  It's common and not a problem.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
3 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

"You" in this case is the immigrant, so your wife was assisted by her husband, you.  Just say so.  It's common and not a problem.

Ok thanks for the info.  I was hoping it wouldn’t be a big deal that I selected no help. 

Timeline
Just now, Ben & Katy said:

Ok thanks for the info.  I was hoping it wouldn’t be a big deal that I selected no help. 

Never lie.  This is HER visa application, not yours.  YOU helped.  If she did not already sign and submit, fix it.  Otherwise, no, I doubt it's a big deal.  Never lie.  Always be truthful and accurate.  It's really pretty simple stuff.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Never lie.  This is HER visa application, not yours.  YOU helped.  If she did not already sign and submit, fix it.  Otherwise, no, I doubt it's a big deal.  Never lie.  Always be truthful and accurate.  It's really pretty simple stuff.

Should I call NVC and tell them that I messed up on that part?  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ben & Katy said:

Should I call NVC and tell them that I messed up on that part?  

Can't hurt.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Can't hurt.

Ok I will do that.  I just thought that since I signed in as the petitioner before starting the DS-260 that I had to select no on the assist part at the very end. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ben & Katy said:

Ok I will do that.  I just thought that since I signed in as the petitioner before starting the DS-260 that I had to select no on the assist part at the very end. 

It's an honest mistake by somebody who lost connection to the "context".  Your wife is the visa applicant.  The question asks HER if anybody assisted HER.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.