mrsSpitze

Kidney Donor - Tourist Visa

6 posts in this topic

I am recently diagnosed with a renal disease which will eventually require a kidney transplant. I have 2 siblings that are willing to be kidney donors. Unfortunately they are residing in the Philippines. I am naturalized usc with insurance. I have read that if they are going to be a donor, they would have to apply as a a regular tourist. 

I was wondering if there is anyone here who had gone through the process of applying for the visa for such purpose. I am hoping to get at least a map of what i/we have to do, documents we would need to prepare to help with the application process. Being on the organ donor list would put me in many years of waiting and having to be on dialysis for far longer than i honestly would want.

TIA for the response and time reading.

Regards

MrsSpitze

Edited by mrsSpitze

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

as my brother had lung transplant (in Pittsburg)  and cousin had a kidney transplant NY  in NY (from his wife)  i can tell you it is not a fast process 

they put you on a waiting list and (no matter if you have a willing donor)  you go thru tests and evaulations for the transplant test

my brother had a almost 3 year wait and they made him get on treadmill even though at first he could do only 2 minutes along with putting him on a healthy diet 

my cousin waited a year for the transplant to happen with his wife the donor

your family may not even be a good match

but any major transplant hospital can not only instruct you as what to do,  they can arrange the travel for a willing and compatable donor

many surgeries on foreigners take place in the US and all is arranged by hospital and doctors so bringing a donor  may be possible

so,  ask your doctor on the procedure to get them matched in your home country 

the hospital has the paperwork to allow one to travel if matched with your blood and tissue types

you will also have to know who will pay for the surgery of the donor    this is not a cheap operation and your insurance will not cover the donor 

that is major reason for people doing fund raising 

so sorry 

been there    

done that

and i know what you go thru

they will arrange for dialysis if needed while you wait for the donor

the list is long and most have to wait their turn even for the operating room space and all personal needed to get together to do this surgery

Best places in the east for transplants are Pittsburg,  Phillidephia and Burmingham

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Would it be easier to have it done in PI?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

58 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Would it be easier to have it done in PI?

This is another option that we have as a back up. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

probably not easy to do outside the country as most kidney patients (for a transplant )  must be on dialysis when flying / expensive with all the equipment and medical personal needed to fly.   this is often decided by doctor along with airline as most do dare to take responsibility

my cousin was on medevac helicopter for transpotation to get transplant /  not cheap

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.