Smelserjl

Complicated issue due to I-751 processing times

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi all,

I've been following the ongoing saga of transferring cases to local offices and my husband and I are in a tough situation--like many others. We would definitely appreciate sincere advice. 

We submitted I-751 for ROC in March 2017. Green card expired June 23, 2017--thus, the extension letter expires June 23, 2018. My husband's passport expires July 2018. He had planned to go back to his home country to get it renewed in May 2018 because doing here at the embassy in DC requires alot of hassle for Egyptian citizens and unnecessary delays (could submit it for renewal and not get it back for several months due to various bureaucratic issues associated with being an Egyptian in a foreign country--it's just a problem). We can file for N-400 on March 26, 2018. 

Given the delay in getting the green card for I-751, passport expiration, and N-400--not sure what to do. I'm worried if he goes to get an I-551 stamp before going to Egypt in May (possibly before the new green card even arrives/ and I-751 approval), they'll take the old green card away. The only thing I can see happening in that case is that he stays in Egypt until the green card arrives and I have to fly there to bring it to him since the original CR-1 visa will be in the passport that expires.

It's a hot mess. We don't have an attorney and don't think we need one. Just curious of what people think might be a good idea for sequencing here since I know alot of people have dealt with similar issues. Thanks for everyone's support. 

Edited by Smelserjl

8 minutes ago, Smelserjl said:

Hi all,

I've been following the ongoing saga of transferring cases to local offices and my husband and I are in a tough situation--like many others. We would definitely appreciate sincere advice. 

We submitted I-751 for ROC in March 2017. Green card expired June 23, 2017--thus, the extension letter expires June 23, 2018. My husband's passport expires July 2018. He had planned to go back to his home country to get it renewed in May 2018 because doing here at the embassy in DC requires alot of hassle for Egyptian citizens and unnecessary delays (could submit it for renewal and not get it back for several months due to various bureaucratic issues associated with being an Egyptian in a foreign country--it's just a problem). We can file for N-400 on March 26, 2018. 

Given the delay in getting the green card for I-751, passport expiration, and N-400--not sure what to do. I'm worried if he goes to get an I-551 stamp before going to Egypt in May (possibly before the new green card even arrives/ and I-751 approval), they'll take the old green card away. The only thing I can see happening in that case is that he stays in Egypt until the green card arrives and I have to fly there to bring it to him since the original CR-1 visa will be in the passport that expires.

It's a hot mess. We don't have an attorney and don't think we need one. Just curious of what people think might be a good idea for sequencing here since I know alot of people have dealt with similar issues. Thanks for everyone's support. 

The I-551 stamp will serve as his green card. Even if they take the green card away, he is still eligible to come back to US with the I-551 stamp.

Timeline
1 minute ago, VeraBradley said:

The I-551 stamp will serve as his green card. Even if they take the green card away, he is still eligible to come back to US with the I-551 stamp.

Thanks for that. What I'm concerned about is that he tries to enter the US using his new Egyptian passport with the I-551 stamp in his expired passport (still having the extension letter of course). Dunno if that'd cause an issue in the US but probably would in Egypt--so kinda of tricky on both ends. Also, can't you only get I-551 stamp up to 30 days before your green card of extension letter expires?

I think he should be good to go with his extension letter. He can also get an I-551 by taking his two passport size pics and they will give him a card with the stamp.

Most of the offices only give stamp 2-3 weeks prior to the expiration of the extension letter. However, if you show the ticket and the need to go, they should be able to give you the stamp regardless of the expiration date. Good luck!

Firstly, I see you guys are VSC, If you applied in March 2017,  I think he would get his approval long before his passport expiration based on the current trend with VSC.

Secondly, if his passport is going to Expire July 2018, there is no way on Earth that you would be able to get an I-551 on a passport that would expire that soon so most likely, he would have to get the stamp on a card (Which is the only option for people with expired passports.). So if he get his I-551 on a card, i assume it would not be an issue when he travels back to Egypt and get a new passport because the I-551 stamp would have no connection to the old passport. So he can just easily board back with the new passport.

Edited by Cocoza

Timeline

Thanks everyone. I'd like to assume the approval would be any day now, but you never know (especially with all the hubbub about moving things to local offices and whether or not it's for interview or to lighten the load at VSC). Thanks for the tip on the I-551 on a card. I didn't even know that they did that, so that's actually helpful to know. 

When he gets the I-551 stamp in his passport he surrenders his expired green card.  Be sure you electronically scan his card prior to your appt to get the stamp.  You will need to submit a copy of his card should you proceed with filing the N-400.  

As for the soon to be expiring passport....humm that's a tricky question.  Does Egypt keep old passports once their renewed?  Each country has its own rules.  If so, and he leaves before issued his 10 GC, then how will he return if they've kept his old passport?  Assuming, the new one is issued without the I-551 stamp?  

I suggest this because I Canada does not keep old expired passports and I had to travel with both old and new for a while till I issued my GC several years ago.  

Advice for readers, never wait for your passport to reach the 6 months prior to expiry point.  IMO, that's just too dangerous.  This could be a tricky one for the poster.

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Maybe you can contact Cairo embassy before he plans anything, explain the situation and see if they can give him a new stamp in the new passport?  

Also we share almost the exact same timeline!  I think I remember you from the I-130 process.  Back on the road again for both of us :)

Petitioner: U.S. Citizen living in U.S. Beneficiary: Egyptian Citizen living in Egypt Seychelles United States!

Visa type: CR-1

01-06-14 Married

03-21-14 Priority Date (Nebraska Service Center)

03-25-14 NOA1

08-26-14 Approved! 5 months, 5 days

09-04-14 shipped to NVC per USCIS website

10-09-14 NVC "received"

10-28-14 Case #

10-30-14 DS261/AOS fee

12-02-14 IV fee

12-03-14 Sent Package

01-30-15 Case Complete! 5 months at NVC with no checklists

03-25-15 Received Interview Letter, date is 05/14/15

05-14-15 Interview Result: APPROVED!

06-08-15 25 days later...CEAC finally shows READY

06-11-15 Visa in Hand

06-15-15 POE in Philadelphia

Total Time from Sending Petition to Visa in Hand: 14 months, 3 weeks

Currently in I-751 ROC and N-400 Citizenship processes.  See Timeline for Details.

Usually, if you have a valid visa in an expired passport, one of 2 things will happen:

1. You will show 2 passports when you try to enter the US. 
    1. Valid passport with no stamp
    2. Expired passport with valid stamp
  2. USCIS may not put a stamp in your husband's passport if that passport is about to expire. Instead:
    1. You need to bring 2 passport style photos to the infopass in addition to everything else (expired 
    2. They will generate a new document that will act as his "greencard" that's not attached to his passport

Either way he should be fine to take the trip to get the new passport 

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I believe some people here are saying something that is incorrect.... When you get the i551 stamp they take your extension letter, not the actual green card. The actual green card you keep, even if expired, because you have to turn it in the day you become a citizen (I just went through this whole process recently.)

9 minutes ago, danielp60 said:

I believe some people here are saying something that is incorrect.... When you get the i551 stamp they take your extension letter, not the actual green card. The actual green card you keep, even if expired, because you have to turn it in the day you become a citizen (I just went through this whole process recently.)

Various folks have reported USCIS employees kept/destroyed/punched a hole in the green card after i551 stamp. 

Everyone should ideally make a copy of the front and back of the Green Card, as well as of the i551 passport stamp, for n400 processing. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
49 minutes ago, danielp60 said:

When I got the I-551 stamp on my passport, neither my green card nor extension letter was retained.

AOS from F1

11/13/2014: Concurrent filing of forms I-130, I-485, and I-765 at Chicago Lockbox

11/18/2014: NOA 1

12/11/2014: Biometric Appointment

01/16/2015: NOA 2

02/27/2015: Employment Authorization Card Received

02/27/2015: Interview

03/09/2015: Green Card Received

3 hours ago, danielp60 said:

Depends on the office and the agent.  I got my stamp last month and they kept both the extension letter AND the expired green card.  In our forum, there are some kept, some returned.  The stamp is all you need.

You would have your new 10 year GC to hand in for citizenship.  If your ROC isn't complete by the time they are ready to do your N-400, they will still approve the ROC first, and either you hand that in or they don't issue a new physical one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
22 hours ago, Smelserjl said:

Thanks for that. What I'm concerned about is that he tries to enter the US using his new Egyptian passport with the I-551 stamp in his expired passport (still having the extension letter of course). Dunno if that'd cause an issue in the US but probably would in Egypt--so kinda of tricky on both ends. Also, can't you only get I-551 stamp up to 30 days before your green card of extension letter expires?

He will get admitted regardless of where the i-551 is located. Of course he will need to have both of his passports.

I went through the same situation when I was doing ROC so I had an expired greencard and an expired passport. If you think trying to get an Egyptian passport is hard, try to get a venezuelan passport here. My neighbor applied for his in February last year and still waiting.

In my case, I thought it was a waste of time and money to get my passport renewed, I just had to wait until February 2016 to applied for my citizenship (this all happened on june-oct 2015).  I had the option of paying $1200 to get a venezuelan passport and likely get it way after my us passport or travel to Venezuela to get without knowing for how long. I had a friend that went to get it, he went for a month and stayed for 4 months. I have a job, a husband and a child.

So I just got my expired passport stamped with an i-551, they didn’t stamped any card or anythingt was kind of stressful to be without a passport for almost a year, but I saved a bunch of money and I didn’t have to go to my almost in a war, country 

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.