SteveG1003

Married my cousin, N-400 stokes interview, nervously waiting the result ...

18 posts in this topic

I write this out to help others in or will be in my situation. It has been a mess, and if we were just a bit more prepare, it would have save us from a lot of headache.

I married my cousin! Please don't judge us. I love her and while I rushed the propose & the marriage to keep her here with me, we do it for love, and have been married for almost 5 years now. Both of us have good jobs, file tax together, live together, share bank accounts, share several credit cards, share car title, insurance ... . The only negative mask for the USCIS to judge us was that she's a couple of years older than me, married one, and we couldn't have kid (and haven't seek infertility treatment).

Married, get 2 years green card, then 10 years green card. Next, we filed for N-400 naturalization based on marriage. We should had consulate a lawyer. We were overconfident in our case, and file all the application ourselves. We expected a smooth process, as our case were so strong, they didn't even interview us when removing the visa condition. Low and behold, they scheduled us for a 2nd N-400 interview. We walked into the interview thinking they just want to verify something and see both of us together hand in hand. Not so! We got separated,  and questioned. I'm not sure what raised the red flag, but probably because the officer found out she is my first cousin (we didn't, and don't have to disclose that, and none of the application form ask for that). They did the stokes interview on us. I think we had about 3 answers not matching, out of about 20, 30 questions. They get nasty, asking each of us separately to confess, then brought in another officer to help scare the out of us (excuse my language).  For a couple who don't even have a traffic ticket in the last 5 years & were expecting a smooth 10, 15 minutes interview, they really did scare the out of us. They threaten fine, jail time, deportation ... and tried to get a us to say that our marriage isn't real. We were questioned for about 4, 5 hours. They let us go and tell us to wait for a mailed decision letter. We were really shaken by the experience, and confused on what will happen next. Talked to a lawyer, and he told us that damaged is done and we should just wait for a decision letter, and possibly a home visit. While we live together, it is still nerve racking waiting for the knock on the door. Wife doesn't even let me go out any more, and makes me stay at home every evening. It has been a month & we are thinking of retaining a lawyer. If any of you guy have any input or advice for us, please share.

Lesson learn for all of you our there:

- Do not apply for naturalization based on 3 years marriage. If you can afford it, wait for the 5 years. We should, and would have avoided this whole mess if we wait just another years before applying (we applied late at around the 4 years mark, and would had been able to applied now under the 5 years rule).

- Be prepared for harsh interview, and try to avoid them at all cost. The way they asked make it really hard to get all the answer correctly, unless you have photographic memory.

- It seems like the USCIS has gotten a whole lot harder since Trump came into the office. Prepare, prepare, prepare.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with applying based on 3 yrs married. Something set something off in your case. Whether the 2 yr or the 10 processing CO dropped the ball or something showed up somewhere. Do you think any family/friends/coworkers could have made a false claim that your marriage is fake?  

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

7 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with applying based on 3 yrs married. Something set something off in your case. Whether the 2 yr or the 10 processing CO dropped the ball or something showed up somewhere. Do you think any family/friends/coworkers could have made a false claim that your marriage is fake?  

I read that the USCIS consider the naturalization based on 3 years married is a privilege, thus check very closely about the marriage. On the other hand, the 5 years naturalization only require you to be a good citizen in the last 5 years (pay tax, no arrest ...). In our case, the cousin marriage might had given out the bad vibe.

One of the lawyer that we talked to mentioned that someone who doesn't like us might had called and reported us. We keep thinking, but can't tell who that person is. We don't really have any enemy at work, or in our social circle. Maybe someone jealous with us. It's kind of suck getting back-stabbed like that.

Timeline
3 hours ago, SteveG1003 said:

I read that the USCIS consider the naturalization based on 3 years married is a privilege, thus check very closely about the marriage. On the other hand, the 5 years naturalization only require you to be a good citizen in the last 5 years (pay tax, no arrest ...). In our case, the cousin marriage might had given out the bad vibe.

One of the lawyer that we talked to mentioned that someone who doesn't like us might had called and reported us. We keep thinking, but can't tell who that person is. We don't really have any enemy at work, or in our social circle. Maybe someone jealous with us. It's kind of suck getting back-stabbed like that.

Yes it should be that way. We have seen it on here more times then I can count about them digging into the marriage at the 5 yr mark too. 

I think a jealous or hateful person must have sent them something. It obviously was enough to cause a stokes interview but it seems you two made it through that. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I agree with others someone who knows both of you must have tipped them off. A friend, a relative, an ex-lover, god knows. I've been following this forum for a while and seen a lot of 3-year based applications. I've seen a few people got RFE'd for no reason despite having their ROC's approved but I've not not seen a single naturalization interview that straight went to stoke interview for a potential marriage fraud.

I totally understand your frustration, I'd be like you guys too but I don't think it would have mattered even if your case was a 5 yr application since what they are after is whether you gained permanent residency thru marriage fraud.

I hope it all works out well, as others pointed out since they are after marriage fraud you might get visited by agents at home, god knows when but since USCIS has to make a decision within 120 days after the interview I assume it would happen within that time period. Best of luck!

16 hours ago, SteveG1003 said:

I write this out to help others in or will be in my situation. It has been a mess, and if we were just a bit more prepare, it would have save us from a lot of headache.

I married my cousin! Please don't judge us. I love her and while I rushed the propose & the marriage to keep her here with me, we do it for love, and have been married for almost 5 years now. Both of us have good jobs, file tax together, live together, share bank accounts, share several credit cards, share car title, insurance ... . The only negative mask for the USCIS to judge us was that she's a couple of years older than me, married one, and we couldn't have kid (and haven't seek infertility treatment).

Married, get 2 years green card, then 10 years green card. Next, we filed for N-400 naturalization based on marriage. We should had consulate a lawyer. We were overconfident in our case, and file all the application ourselves. We expected a smooth process, as our case were so strong, they didn't even interview us when removing the visa condition. Low and behold, they scheduled us for a 2nd N-400 interview. We walked into the interview thinking they just want to verify something and see both of us together hand in hand. Not so! We got separated,  and questioned. I'm not sure what raised the red flag, but probably because the officer found out she is my first cousin (we didn't, and don't have to disclose that, and none of the application form ask for that). They did the stokes interview on us. I think we had about 3 answers not matching, out of about 20, 30 questions. They get nasty, asking each of us separately to confess, then brought in another officer to help scare the out of us (excuse my language).  For a couple who don't even have a traffic ticket in the last 5 years & were expecting a smooth 10, 15 minutes interview, they really did scare the out of us. They threaten fine, jail time, deportation ... and tried to get a us to say that our marriage isn't real. We were questioned for about 4, 5 hours. They let us go and tell us to wait for a mailed decision letter. We were really shaken by the experience, and confused on what will happen next. Talked to a lawyer, and he told us that damaged is done and we should just wait for a decision letter, and possibly a home visit. While we live together, it is still nerve racking waiting for the knock on the door. Wife doesn't even let me go out any more, and makes me stay at home every evening. It has been a month & we are thinking of retaining a lawyer. If any of you guy have any input or advice for us, please share.

Lesson learn for all of you our there:

- Do not apply for naturalization based on 3 years marriage. If you can afford it, wait for the 5 years. We should, and would have avoided this whole mess if we wait just another years before applying (we applied late at around the 4 years mark, and would had been able to applied now under the 5 years rule).

- Be prepared for harsh interview, and try to avoid them at all cost. The way they asked make it really hard to get all the answer correctly, unless you have photographic memory.

- It seems like the USCIS has gotten a whole lot harder since Trump came into the office. Prepare, prepare, prepare.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I didn't even realise that they conducted Stoke Interviews for Naturalization.  I don't think your lawyer is very supportive saying something like that.  I know you feel probably shaken from this awful experience and I couldn't imagine how you both feel, but remember you have a valid marriage, so if they decide to do a home visit then at least you can show them how valid it is! 

I don't think 3 years, 5 years or even 10 years would make a difference to your case, I just feel they flagged something or someone has written to them about your case.  Who knows it could be someone who doesn't think that cousins should marry, there are some weird people out there who like to meddle in other people's business.   

Try and stay calm and although it's easy for me to say as I'm not going through it, welcome any home visit, it gives you the chance to prove it to them and then you can be done with the immigration journey.  Good luck!

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

9 hours ago, Corey911 said:

Again, it has nothing to do with Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/us/politics/dhs-immigration-trump.html

8 hours ago, shell20 said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. I didn't even realise that they conducted Stoke Interviews for Naturalization.  I don't think your lawyer is very supportive saying something like that.  I know you feel probably shaken from this awful experience and I couldn't imagine how you both feel, but remember you have a valid marriage, so if they decide to do a home visit then at least you can show them how valid it is! 

I don't think 3 years, 5 years or even 10 years would make a difference to your case, I just feel they flagged something or someone has written to them about your case.  Who knows it could be someone who doesn't think that cousins should marry, there are some weird people out there who like to meddle in other people's business.   

Try and stay calm and although it's easy for me to say as I'm not going through it, welcome any home visit, it gives you the chance to prove it to them and then you can be done with the immigration journey.  Good luck!

We didn't expect it to be a stoke interview either. Why won't they see that if our marriage is fake, we would had divorced shortly after she has her 10 years green card? I wish they had followed us home on that day, or just give us a straight up "no". We can just forget about the citizenship & apply again 5, 10 years down the road. We do fight from time to time, but I don't see us ever splitting up. Wife was a nervous wreck for a whole week after the interview. Lol, she printed a bunch of our pictures to hang around the house just for the INS to see.

14 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Yes it should be that way. We have seen it on here more times then I can count about them digging into the marriage at the 5 yr mark too. 

I think a jealous or hateful person must have sent them something. It obviously was enough to cause a stokes interview but it seems you two made it through that. 

We are not sure if we made it through. We got a couple of answers mismatched. I read from others that they would give the couple a chance to explain. Not in our case. They jumped on us and asking us to make confession. I asked them if they want me to lie & make the confession the way they want.

39 minutes ago, SteveG1003 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/us/politics/dhs-immigration-trump.html

We didn't expect it to be a stoke interview either. Why won't they see that if our marriage is fake, we would had divorced shortly after she has her 10 years green card? I wish they had followed us home on that day, or just give us a straight up "no". We can just forget about the citizenship & apply again 5, 10 years down the road. We do fight from time to time, but I don't see us ever splitting up. Wife was a nervous wreck for a whole week after the interview. Lol, she printed a bunch of our pictures to hang around the house just for the INS to see.

We are not sure if we made it through. We got a couple of answers mismatched. I read from others that they would give the couple a chance to explain. Not in our case. They jumped on us and asking us to make confession. I asked them if they want me to lie & make the confession the way they want.

Ok getting on my high horse here, did they actually deny your application?  I don't think what I read they did!  Fight for what is yours, your stronger than that, if you can marry each other knowing it might cause a few bias opinions from blind sided people, why can't you both say you know what, this is a true, legal marriage and we will prove it! It sounds like you have a defeatist attitude and I don't know why when you have both followed love instead of other peoples opinions.

Ok off my podium now, good luck with whatever route you choose to take!

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

Timeline
On 10/10/2017 at 7:49 PM, SteveG1003 said:

I love her and while I rushed the propose & the marriage to keep her here with me, we do it for love

I'm wondering if this is the part the IO was focused on....and perhaps he/she is wondering if the GC was adjudicated properly in the first place.

In some instances, USCIS doesn't "catch up" with certain circumstances until the N400 and maybe the IO is questioning the validity of the marriage now, and whether the issuing of the green card was appropriately done.

When you say "rushed"----how rushed was it?  When you say "to keep her here with me"---what kind of visa did your wife cross the border on, and how quickly after crossing the border did you get married and file? 

Not judging you here, just trying to see what the IO may have been thinking when putting all the pieces together.

On 10/10/2017 at 7:49 PM, SteveG1003 said:

- Do not apply for naturalization based on 3 years marriage. If you can afford it, wait for the 5 years. We should, and would have avoided this whole mess if we wait just another years before applying

Filing at the 5-year mark doesn't make anyone any safer than filing at the 3-year mark.  During my interview last month, the IO started questioning when I got married, how I met my husband, how I crossed the border, etc. too....I filed under the 5-year eligibility rule and have been a GC holder for 12 years now....so I don't think that makes any difference in their eyes when adjudicating cases.  Part of how they weed out fraud is by being harsh when doing a Stokes interview as they want the person to crumble under pressure and confess to wrongdoings or catch them in lies.   If you were able to answer their questions calmly and coherently, and what you said matches the evidence they have in your file, you will have done well.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

On 10/12/2017 at 2:30 AM, Going through said:

I'm wondering if this is the part the IO was focused on....and perhaps he/she is wondering if the GC was adjudicated properly in the first place.

In some instances, USCIS doesn't "catch up" with certain circumstances until the N400 and maybe the IO is questioning the validity of the marriage now, and whether the issuing of the green card was appropriately done.

When you say "rushed"----how rushed was it?  When you say "to keep her here with me"---what kind of visa did your wife cross the border on, and how quickly after crossing the border did you get married and file? 

Not judging you here, just trying to see what the IO may have been thinking when putting all the pieces together.

We married after she were here for almost 3 months, and submit the application just a few days before the 3 months mask. She didn't need a visa to enter the US (citizen of a visa waver country), but still under the 3 months rule (i.e. have to exit and return every 3 months if you want to continue to visit the US legally)

On 10/12/2017 at 2:30 AM, Going through said:

Filing at the 5-year mark doesn't make anyone any safer than filing at the 3-year mark.  During my interview last month, the IO started questioning when I got married, how I met my husband, how I crossed the border, etc. too....I filed under the 5-year eligibility rule and have been a GC holder for 12 years now....so I don't think that makes any difference in their eyes when adjudicating cases.  Part of how they weed out fraud is by being harsh when doing a Stokes interview as they want the person to crumble under pressure and confess to wrongdoings or catch them in lies.   If you were able to answer their questions calmly and coherently, and what you said matches the evidence they have in your file, you will have done well.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Those questions that you got are what we were expected, and they can't be compared to a 4, 5 hours of interrogation. We were traumatized for a week after the interview! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Any new update?

N-400 Naturalization Journey SAN FRANCISCO FIELD OFFICE

Total processing time from last successful submission to Oath Ceremony: 253 days (8 months and 11 days)

Spoiler

02/26/2012: Arrived SF airport. 

11/28/2016: Eligible for early-filling.

Day 00 - 12/23/2016: Sent N-400 + I-942 to Phoenix, AZ lockbox via USPS.

Day 03 - 12/26/2016: N-400 application marked delivered.

Day 25 - 01/17/2017: Sent email to support regards to application.

Day 26 - 01/18/2017: N-400 rejected because incorrect payment amount.

Day 32 - 01/24/2017: N-400 + I-942 resent.

Day 34 - 01/26/2017: N-400 application marked delivered.

Day 49 - 02/10/2017: N-400 rejected again because incorrect payment amount.

Day 52 - 02/13/2017: Email form USCIS support responded package was rejected in error (!?) for the first and second time submissions, they requested 3rd resubmission + tracking number in order to apply my earliest priority date. 

Day 52 - 02/13/2017: N-400 + I-942 resent on the same day, also sent a response to Lockbox to provide information to USCIS.

Day 54 (Day 0) - 02/15/2017: N-400 application marked delivered.

Day 62 (Day 8) - 02/23/2017: E-notification, E-mail from USCIS, E-mail from Support announced Resubmission was accepted.

Day 66 (Day 12)- 02/27/2017: Notice of Acceptance as Fees Waiver Approval received. (All fees were waived instead of reduced by half as supposed by filing form I-942)

Day 69 (Day 15) - 03/02/2017: Online Status Update: Fingerprint Appointment was scheduled. 

Day 70  (Day 16) - 03/03/2017: Fingerprint Appointment Letter received. Biometric will be on 3/15/17. 

Day 70  (Day 16) - 03/03/2017: Early Walked-In for Biometric at 3:45 PM.

Day 87 (Day 33) - 03/20/2017: Online Status Update: Case was placed in line for interview. 

Day 234 (Day 180) - 08/14/2017: Online Status Update: Interview has been scheduled.

Day 239 (Day 185) - 08/19/2017: Interview Letter received.

Day 269 (Day 215) - 09/18/2017: Interview 2:30 PM at USCIS SF Field Office. Recommended For Approval. 

Day 280 (Day 226) - 09/29/2017: Oath Ceremony Letter received. N400 is approved.

Day 291 (Day 237) - 10/10/2017: Last Online Status Update: Oath Letter was mailed. Too late!

Day 307 (Day 253) - 10/26/2017: Oath Ceremony in Oakland, CA. Citizenship granted.

Day 307 (Day 253) - 10/26/2017: Passport applied.

Day 321 (Day 267) - 11/09/2017: Passport Booklet received. 

Day 321 (Day 267) - 11/09/2017: Naturalization Certificate received. Journey done.

Timeline
On 10/11/2017 at 9:43 AM, Corey911 said:

Again, it has nothing to do with Trump.

Does anyone else see the irony here? 

05/15/2006 - Moved to Kansas, USA on TN Status

10/16/2009 - Married in Missouri, USA

Family-based AOS from TN Status - Complete

Spoiler

(DAY 00) 06/18/2012 - Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

(DAY 01) 06/19/2012 - AOS Package received

(DAY 04) 06/22/2012 - Texts/Emails from USCIS confirming receipt

(DAY 07) 06/25/2012 - I-130 and I-485 checks cashed

(DAY 08) 06/26/2012 - NOA received in the mail

(DAY 12) 06/30/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received in the mail. Appointment for 7/17/2012

(DAY 29) 07/17/2012 - Biometrics completed.

(DAY 51) 08/08/2012 - Interview email received. Scheduled for 9/11.

(DAY 53) 08/10/2012 - Paper Interview notice received in mail.

(DAY 86) 09/11/2012 - Interview. Approved on the spot.

(DAY 86) 09/11/2012 - GC Production ordered

(DAY 86) 09/11/2012 - EAD production ordered (not that I need it now...)

(DAY 87) 09/12/2012 - Case status moved from "card production" to "decision"

(DAY 89) 09/14/2012 - 2nd GC production ordered notice

(DAY 92) 09/17/2012 - EAD and GC mailed

(DAY 94) 09/19/2012 - EAD and GC IN HAND!

N-400 Application (5 year residency) - San Diego Field Office - Complete

Spoiler

(DAY 000) 08/15/2017 - N-400 Filed Online

(DAY 000) 08/15/2017 - Receipt Received, Case number assigned

(DAY 004) 08/19/2017 - Biometrics Appointment notification received

(DAY 010) 08/25/2017 - Biometrics Appointment PDF Posted (Date: 09/05/2017)

(DAY 013) 08/28/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Completed Early (Walk-In)

(DAY 014) 08/29/2017 - Case status now "We Reviewed Your Biometrics". 

(DAY 053) 10/06/2017 - In-line for interview. EGOV updated to "Interview Was Scheduled"

(DAY 054) 10/07/2017 - Interview scheduled. ELIS updated to "View your letter on your documents tab"

(DAY 057) 10/10/2017 - Interview PDF posted (Interview Date: 11/14/2017)

(DAY 092) 11/14/2017 - Interview in San Diego (Approved)

(DAY 112) 12/04/2017 - EGOV updated to "Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed"

(DAY 113) 12/05/2017 - ELIS updated to "View your letter on your documents tab"

(DAY 128) 12/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony Completed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.