Coolbreese

I130 paperwork,approval time frame etc

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello everyone

I have been researching alot about this i-130,my wife is from Russia, weve been married 1 year now, weve waited some time because we wanted to have her daughter sonia 6 y.o.a. to learn english. My question is,

Is it better to hire a lawyer for the i-130 process? Or go at it alone? Also am concerned about paperwork...do i submit notarized photocopies (translated ofcourse) or do i submit original? Skeptical about that due to the fact that uscis may misplace the paperwork..and how long is the approval time frame for i-130. Thanks to all in advance. Am new at all this process. Again thank you in advance fir your cooperation and advice 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey,

I'd suggest you do it by yourself. Lawyers may be helpful if you think there's complexity in your case. Filling out forms and trying to figure out stuff could be a pain in the butt but that's pretty much the only thing your lawyer will do for you anyways aside from sending you a hefty bill. As far as I know, USCIS only requires photocopies as they don't automatically return original copies. Instructions wouldn't normally specifically state that the documents should be notarized so I am not sure about it.

Timeframe is kinda hard to say, could range from 9-12 months from the USCIS to Consular processing. It also depends on which service center your case will go to. Some are a little faster than the others. It kinda sucks sometimes. Wish you well.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello, 

I can only offer you advise based on my own experience, my wife is from Ukraine, I filed our I-130 petition back in November, we received our NOA1 on December 2nd, we just received our NOA2 on August 15th, I submitted our paperwork myself. I would recommend to you that you do the paperwork yourself but I also strongly recommend that you double and triple check yourself and have someone else review yhour paperwork before you send it, also I would recommend that you follow the guides posted here on the proper way to send and label your petition. The current time for approval is hard to say, it took us 8 1/2 months for our NOA2 and we do not know how long for NVC or the embassy.

We submitted photocopies of our marriage certificate, my wife's birth certificate and other documents, we did not need an apostle stamp, I submitted the original documents in Russian and the translated documents in English with the notarized stamps.

A lawyer is not needed, you can do it yourself, just be very diligent and follow the guides, you will do just fine!

Good luck to you! I hope this helps you.

Edited by florida racer 73

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from K3 forum, as that visa is obsolete, to the CR-1 spousal visa forum. *******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Unless you have a particularly complicated case (i.e. one or both of you has had criminal problems, or multiple divorces, or something of that nature that is a red flag), a lawyer is unnecessary. 

Lawyers are NOT infallible either, and you are basically paying a few thousand dollars to introduce a sort-of "middle man" into the process, which adds extra weeks onto an already tedious and time-consuming process. Instead of mailing your stuff directly to where it needs to go, you have to mail it to the lawyer, wait for him/her to get it, and then wait for the lawyer to mail it to where it needs to go. 

For my case, I paid for a visa service to help me fill out the forms, but it wasn't a lawyer. Basically I input all the pertinent information on their website and then it generated the filled-out I-130 for us to print and sign. This ensured everything was properly filled and all the right boxes were checked. They also provided e-mail support for questions. This really only helped me with the I-130 and supporting documents for that... The NVC stage is more streamlined and simple anyway, and they have outstanding phone support for questions. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Familiarize yourself with the forms you need to complete and the instructions that go with them and determine what your own personal comfort level is in completing said forms.  As others have alluded to, if there are issues in your or your spouse's background that may complicate things or you are simply not comfortable completing the forms, legal or professional assistance may be for you.  Otherwise, gather the documents you need (you will need to do this regardless of whether you DIY or hire someone), complete the forms, and submit them.  Don't be afraid to ask questions here on things you may not understand after reading the instructions.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Good luck.  I have submitted the initial I-130 forms in December 2016 and got a note saying they received it about a week later.  Since then, I've heard nothing...so I would assume it's still sitting in line to be processed.  From there I'm not sure what the time frame is for the rest of it, but I have heard that once you have an interview, you have 6 months to actually enter the US....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.