whyisthissohard

Does immigration in Manila airport Philippines ask for proof of funds?

8 posts in this topic

In practice, does immigration in the Philippines, when you arrive at Manila airport, as for proof of funds upon arrival for USC? What about when renewing tourist visas. Also what about when applying for a 13a residency visa through spouse.... I have read contradictory reports that they require you to have 10k in your account. Other sources say they as your Filipina spouse to prove she can support you. Other sources say they don't even really bother to ask. My main concern is arrival at Manila airport because I had to make alot of unexpected expenses before trip which lowers what I would be able to show them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Country-specific thread is moved from the Emigrating Outside the US forum to the Philippines regional forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

No, they do not ask for proof of funds in the bank when you come in to the country. I have NEVER heard that at all and I don't know where you heard that from. You just need a return ticket that is it. 

2 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

No, they do not ask for proof of funds in the bank when you come in to the country. I have NEVER heard that at all and I don't know where you heard that from. You just need a return ticket that is it. 

Well I didn't hear they require a certain amount of funds upon entry. It's also a general question about when you apply for extensions also. And for return ticket, I have an "throw away" ticket to Taiwan, which I'm sure they will know it's a throw away but hopefully won't care. The particular amount of funds was based more on the 13a

2 minutes ago, Cott789 said:

Well I didn't hear they require a certain amount of funds upon entry. It's also a general question about when you apply for extensions also. And for return ticket, I have an "throw away" ticket to Taiwan, which I'm sure they will know it's a throw away but hopefully won't care. The particular amount of funds was based more on the 13a

I have never done the residency path at all and I admit I know next to nothing about it. But what I do know is going to the Philippines and flying back out of it. So initially when you get there they just want to see if you have a ticket out of the country that is it, they have never cared if it is a throw away ticket or not as long as it's a ticket. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Cott789 said:

In practice, does immigration in the Philippines, when you arrive at Manila airport, as for proof of funds upon arrival for USC? What about when renewing tourist visas. Also what about when applying for a 13a residency visa through spouse.... I have read contradictory reports that they require you to have 10k in your account. Other sources say they as your Filipina spouse to prove she can support you. Other sources say they don't even really bother to ask. My main concern is arrival at Manila airport because I had to make alot of unexpected expenses before trip which lowers what I would be able to show them.

Nope.  Not sure where you read about $10k ...

13A visa ... hmm.   No where does it state you need $10K with a spousal 13A visa, there is mention of adequate finances, but no amount.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/permanent-resident-visa

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/visa-requirements/immigrant-visa/non-quota-visa/conversion-to-non-quota-immigrant-visa-by-marriage

Why not simply do the BB stamp when you arrive with your spouse... unless she is not with you  at entry (of course) 

37 minutes ago, Cott789 said:

13A visa     I would use the BB stamp, in fact I do.

If you do not (can not) avail to the BB stamp, then you need to get a visa extension before your 30 day tourist visa expires, next would be a 59 day visa.

Throw away tickets are proof of onward travel, once you clear the airport that issue is history.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

30 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Nope.  Not sure where you read about $10k ...

13A visa ... hmm.   No where does it state you need $10K with a spousal 13A visa, there is mention of adequate finances, but no amount.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/permanent-resident-visa

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/visa-requirements/immigrant-visa/non-quota-visa/conversion-to-non-quota-immigrant-visa-by-marriage

Why not simply do the BB stamp when you arrive with your spouse... unless she is not with you  at entry (of course) 

13A visa     I would use the BB stamp, in fact I do.

If you do not (can not) avail to the BB stamp, then you need to get a visa extension before your 30 day tourist visa expires, next would be a 59 day visa.

Throw away tickets are proof of onward travel, once you clear the airport that issue is history.

For the BB visa, it's my understanding that the Filipino citizen must of been out of the country for at least a year prior to arrival in order to "avail" the BB visa. 

Maybe that's the confusion regarding the 13a spouse visa. Perhaps a residency visa is called a 13a even if it's not through spouse but without spouse you must prove income, but with spouse there is no set limit?. I'm not working in the Philippines, but she has a great job and I am on her bank account, so I wonder if her pay can somehow sponsor me for the 13a. Will have to ask a immigration attorney there I guess.

But yeah, the BB would be nice if I'm wrong about the one year requirement.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cott789 said:

For the BB visa, it's my understanding that the Filipino citizen must of been out of the country for at least a year prior to arrival in order to "avail" the BB visa. 

Maybe that's the confusion regarding the 13a spouse visa. Perhaps a residency visa is called a 13a even if it's not through spouse but without spouse you must prove income, but with spouse there is no set limit?. I'm not working in the Philippines, but she has a great job and I am on her bank account, so I wonder if her pay can somehow sponsor me for the 13a. Will have to ask a immigration attorney there I guess.

But yeah, the BB would be nice if I'm wrong about the one year requirement.

Not sure what websites you are getting your info from, but you should delete it from your bookmarks.  :lol:

BB is not a visa, it is a privilege.. thus it doesn't fall under any of the requirements related to visas.

You and your spouse only need to be out of the country for 24 hrs. to avail yourself to a year of BB privilege.

There is NO payment for sponsor a spouse.. except for the required fees... you need to provide a PSA marriage certificate with asawa ko.

For sure don't need an attorney to accomplish this.. just a trip to BI.

13A is a resident visa, there are various ways to apply for one, spouse is just one of those.   I gave you links for details from the government website, not a blog.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.