32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

First things first, Go and try to reschedule. That should buy you some time to reconcile with your wife. If you wife refuses you will be denied and put in removal and eventually deported. You only options are fix your current marriage or get divorced and hopefully fall in love and marry another USC who can file another petition for you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If I get divorced before the next scheduled interview, would I still be out on removal? And will my work permit be useless and will I loose my job immediately?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, James tony said:

If I get divorced before the next scheduled interview, would I still be out on removal? And will my work permit be useless and will I loose my job immediately?

Yes.  Also you'd have to quit your job as you wouldn't qualify to work in the United States 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
21 minutes ago, James tony said:

The interview is on Wednesday, I want to call to reschedule, so I can go reconcile with her. I work with a company in Italy, here in the state. I don't want to loose my work permit. Would it work if I rescheduled on Monday and interview is on Wednesday? If the AOS canceled what would be the next thing I should be expecting? And can't I re-file again maybe after settling with my wife..

You can try rescheduling but you need a very good reason. Call the USCIS National Customer Service Center. They'll guide you on what circumstances they consider legitimate. Emergencies can come up at any time, so should be OK if you send a rescheduling request ahead of the interview. The question is whether your situation counts. Other VJ members might have insight but I'd call the service center as you need to get in touch with them anyway to file a request.

You and your wife both need to be present at the interview. Since you haven't yet adjusted status, you cannot continue the immigration process without her support. Once she withdraws her petition and your case closes, you have to leave the US in a timely manner or you'll be put into deportation proceedings. 

Edited by Allie D

Married to US Citizen. I'm the beneficiary.

Adjustment of Status (AOS) from F-1

• Priority date: 2016-09
  • Initial interview for I-485: 2017-06. Approved on the same day.

Removal of Conditions (ROC)

• Eligible starting: 2019-03

Timeline

So what do I do to find a new love and how long time do I have to do that and probably file another petition. My fear is I don't want to be out in removal 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Similar topics merged and merged thread moved from Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas forum to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits forum.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, James tony said:

So what do I do to find a new love and how long time do I have to do that and probably file another petition. My fear is I don't want to be out in removal 

That would be fraudulent to find someone for immigration benefits

Timeline
1 minute ago, James tony said:

you only get put in removal after your petition is denied. work expires on day you are denied. eventually employer will find out your work permit is not valid anymore and have to fire you. I think your focusing on the wrong things brother. Without marriage every thing stops. You should reschedule interview and then do everything to convince your wife to come home. If you cant do that get a divorce and start over with someone else but if and when you file again you will face extra scrutiny

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
5 minutes ago, James tony said:

My fear is I don't want to be out in removal 

What do you mean? You don't want to be in deportation proceedings? You can leave voluntarily.

Staying in the US, by hook or by crook, is another thing... given your current situation, unless your wife continues the petition, you can't stay legally.

Married to US Citizen. I'm the beneficiary.

Adjustment of Status (AOS) from F-1

• Priority date: 2016-09
  • Initial interview for I-485: 2017-06. Approved on the same day.

Removal of Conditions (ROC)

• Eligible starting: 2019-03

Timeline

Please how long does it take to get divorced? And if I filled a divorce on Monday and and denied on Wednesday. What are my chances 

Timeline

Every divorce is unique and takes different time. You can get divorced whenever before or after being denied. If you have decided that a divorce is the only option. Sit down and write a letter to USCIS explaining that you got married in good faith but the marriage has broken down and it is now untenable to continue with the petition and ask to withdraw your petition. Go to the interview on Wednesday explain what happened to the interviewing officer and give him he letter to add to your file.

At that point USCIS will deny your petition and you will eventually be referred to ICE for removal. What you do after that is up to you. You either leave on your own or ICE will find and forcibly remove you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline
3 hours ago, James tony said:

Please how long does it take to get divorced? And if I filled a divorce on Monday and and denied on Wednesday. What are my chances 

If you file for divorce on Monday or if you don't file for divorce on Monday, in both cases you will get denied. It has nothing to do

with divorcing because your wife won't come to the interview and she wrote to USCIS that she is done with the marriage.
Filing for divorce will not create a way to be approved !!! Staying married to her will not get you approved if she is done.
Living here illegally and finding someone else to marry for purposes of a green card is fraud.

One minute you say you want to re schedule the interview for time to fix your marriage and the next you are talking about divorce

and finding a new love so you can stay. Immigration officers will clearly see through all this and deny you, you can't fool the system.
Why are you just now frantically trying to find a solution 3 days before the interview ?

If you cared why did you not try to win your wife back, if she doesn't want to be with

you then you have to go back, sorry but there is no other way.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

I would like to note that just because YOU think you have a happy marriage and that YOU think you can reconcile with her does NOT mean that's the case.

No happy marriage has a wife go to another state, in anger, 4 months into the marriage. 4 months of marriage should still be a honeymoon period.

If she does not want to reconcile, she does not have too.

If you get divorced, you will not get a green card. If you do not get divorced and you wife does not show, you will not get a green card.

Even if you hire a lawyer, a divorce would not be finalized by wednesday, and again, if it was, you still don't get your green card.

Also, JUST because you marry someone does NOT entitle you to live in the US. You have to prove that your relationship was bona fide, real, and NOT just for you to stay in the US and honestly if your wife maybe felt used, I could absolutely understand why she left four months into the relationship. 

I hope your wife finds this thread and gives it to USCIS. Clearly you're willing to marry anyone to stay here, and that's not how this works.

It's best that you go home, no one here is going to help you commit immigration fraud by telling you to just go find another person to marry (except that one guy).

Once your green card is denied, you will be deportable. 

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.