Dashinka

ESPN Layoffs: The Struggling Industry Giant Sheds On-Air Talent

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Does anyone actually watch ESPN anymore?  I know I hardly ever turn it on unless it is College Football Season, but even that is getting boring.

The “Worldwide Leader in Sports,” as ESPN brands itself, laid off scores of journalists and on-air talent on Wednesday, showing that even the most formidable media kingdom was vulnerable to the transformation upending the sports broadcasting industry as more and more people turn away from cable television.

Among the prominent people let go were the former N.F.L. players Trent Dilfer and Danny Kanell, the former N.B.A. player Len Elmore, the former baseball general manager Jim Bowden and the longtime N.F.L. reporter Ed Werder.

ESPN is by far the biggest and most powerful entity in the sports media industry, and it has felt the sting as viewers turn away from traditional ways of consuming live sports.

The network has lost more than 10 million subscribers over the past several years. At the same time, the cost of broadcasting major sports has continued to rise. ESPN committed to an eight-year, $15.2 billion deal extension with the N.F.L. in 2011; a nine-year, $12 billion deal with the N.B.A.; and a $7.3 billion deal for the college football playoffs, among many others.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/sports/espn-layoffs.html?_r=0

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

35 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Does anyone actually watch ESPN anymore?  I know I hardly ever turn it on unless it is College Football Season, but even that is getting boring.

The “Worldwide Leader in Sports,” as ESPN brands itself, laid off scores of journalists and on-air talent on Wednesday, showing that even the most formidable media kingdom was vulnerable to the transformation upending the sports broadcasting industry as more and more people turn away from cable television.

Among the prominent people let go were the former N.F.L. players Trent Dilfer and Danny Kanell, the former N.B.A. player Len Elmore, the former baseball general manager Jim Bowden and the longtime N.F.L. reporter Ed Werder.

ESPN is by far the biggest and most powerful entity in the sports media industry, and it has felt the sting as viewers turn away from traditional ways of consuming live sports.

The network has lost more than 10 million subscribers over the past several years. At the same time, the cost of broadcasting major sports has continued to rise. ESPN committed to an eight-year, $15.2 billion deal extension with the N.F.L. in 2011; a nine-year, $12 billion deal with the N.B.A.; and a $7.3 billion deal for the college football playoffs, among many others.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/sports/espn-layoffs.html?_r=0

College football and thats it. I have been ticked with them ever since the tried to award  USC a three peat back in the early 2000's when it wasnt. I get tired of the pumping USC Ohio State sunshine 

Timeline

I stopped watching ESPN in the early 2000s because their hockey coverage was mediocre, plus with satellite, even in California, I could get Canadian channels like TSN, CBC, Sportsnet, etc., which are scores above ESPN.

What doubly made me shun ESPN entirely was their foray into politics. Like, really? Can you guys be any more stupid? Your sports coverage.. your niche, was mediocre as it was. Chris Berman was one of the main reasons ESPN didn't die years ago. Now you want to alienate even more people from watching your network. Hah.

They deserve every bit of this. It's a warning sign for the other sports networks. I've seen FOX start to delve into politics a tad lately on their football shows (seemingly taking a more rightist approach), I'd advise them against this too. 

Edited by IAMX

ESPN has been bombing all around in the New England area since they did everything they could to bury Tom Brady and the Patriots with deflategate. They spread false rumors and allowed false stories to stay on their website even after they were shown that they were false. I haven't watched them at all since they hired the Ray Lewis a few years ago to do Sunday Countdown.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I follow NBA, hence watch ESPN whenever there is a game on. I also use ESPN3 a lot to follow international soccer/tennis and a few other low-rating sports.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, IAMX said:

I stopped watching ESPN in the early 2000s because their hockey coverage was mediocre, plus with satellite, even in California, I could get Canadian channels like TSN, CBC, Sportsnet, etc., which are scores above ESPN.

What doubly made me shun ESPN entirely was their foray into politics. Like, really? Can you guys be any more stupid? Your sports coverage.. your niche, was mediocre as it was. Chris Berman was one of the main reasons ESPN didn't die years ago. Now you want to alienate even more people from watching your network. Hah.

They deserve every bit of this. It's a warning sign for the other sports networks. I've seen FOX start to delve into politics a tad lately on their football shows (seemingly taking a more rightist approach), I'd advise them against this too. 

Odd...TSN is owned by ESPN.  When Jay and Dan went to espn I was heartbroken.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
41 minutes ago, Teddy B said:

ESPN has been bombing all around in the New England area since they did everything they could to bury Tom Brady and the Patriots with deflategate. They spread false rumors and allowed false stories to stay on their website even after they were shown that they were false. I haven't watched them at all since they hired the Ray Lewis a few years ago to do Sunday Countdown.

Meanwhile others players are doing drugs,beating up their wifes,getting in fights,public intoxication you name it and Tom Brady is the bad guy.

5 minutes ago, eieio said:

Meanwhile others players are doing drugs,beating up their wifes,getting in fights,public intoxication you name it and Tom Brady is the bad guy.

Yep, and ESPN hires guys like Ray Lewis and Cris "you gotta have a fall guy" Carter.

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

Odd...TSN is owned by ESPN.  When Jay and Dan went to espn I was heartbroken.

I miss Joe Bowen.. hate the fact that he's on radio. The talent nowdays (even though I hardly watch the NHL anymore since their last lockout) is rather boring.

I don't see much relevance though in the stake ESPN's parent company (Disney?) has in TSN, the only similarity was the Sportscentre program and that's where the similarities ended. I've noticed all Canadian sports channels better cover the vast majority of NA and worldwide sports, especially for hockey and football (soccer).

My fav announcer has always been Gord Miller, though he's kinda dwindled of late. I can't possibly see who will take up the mantle of exciting PBP.

Edited by IAMX

Timeline
18 minutes ago, IAMX said:

I miss Joe Bowen.. hate the fact that he's on radio. The talent nowdays (even though I hardly watch the NHL anymore since their last lockout) is rather boring.

I don't see much relevance though in the stake ESPN's parent company (Disney?) has in TSN, the only similarity was the Sportscentre program and that's where the similarities ended. I've noticed all Canadian sports channels better cover the vast majority of NA and worldwide sports, especially for hockey and football (soccer).

My fav announcer has always been Gord Miller, though he's kinda dwindled of late. I can't possibly see who will take up the mantle of exciting PBP.

TSN no longer owns NHL coverage (which is a damn shame).  They show a lot of ESPN specials and pardon the interruption and the such.  One of my faves is James Duthie, a fantastic guy who used to live down the road from me in Canada.  

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

TSN no longer owns NHL coverage (which is a damn shame).  They show a lot of ESPN specials and pardon the interruption and the such.  One of my faves is James Duthie, a fantastic guy who used to live down the road from me in Canada.  

Yeah, TSN has gone downhill of late.. and as for Canada and programming, I haven't the foggiest as to how this is good for fans, but then again, I finally figured out after the lockout that the league doesn't give a rats ### about fans.

Edited by IAMX

Timeline
6 minutes ago, IAMX said:

Yeah, TSN has gone downhill of late.. and as for Canada and programming, I haven't the foggiest as to how this is good for fans, but then again, I finally figured out after the lockout that the league doesn't give a rats ### about fans.

That's why I like smaller market teams (Ottawa, St. Louis, Winnipeg) it's a lot more fun than day going to a game in toronto.  In my last marriage my ex was a junior hockey coach and I fell in love with Jr A and the OHL.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

That's why I like smaller market teams (Ottawa, St. Louis, Winnipeg) it's a lot more fun than day going to a game in toronto.  In my last marriage my ex was a junior hockey coach and I fell in love with Jr A and the OHL.

I used to hate all the minor/junior leagues, just seemed a lot more boring, slow, etc. than upper professionals.

But.. because I realized I liked hockey more than the NHL (and see the NHL in some ways as dangerous to hockey as a whole) I just might start doing that too (attending those minor/junior games). I can see that your appreciation for hockey seems more comprehensive than mine.

Edited by IAMX

Timeline
5 minutes ago, IAMX said:

I used to hate all the minor/junior leagues, just seemed a lot more boring, slow, etc. than upper professionals.

But.. because I realized I liked hockey more than the NHL (and see the NHL in some ways as dangerous to hockey as a whole) I just might start doing that too (attending those minor/junior games). I can see that your appreciation for hockey seems more comprehensive than mine.

Well...Canadian lol.  It's funny because college football doesn't peak my interest at all.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

Well...Canadian lol.  It's funny because college football doesn't peak my interest at all.

Same here. Can't even make myself like it. Doubt this will ever change regardless of my feelings for the NFL. Funny thing.. when I was at SJSU we were the Spartans. When I was at SAIT we were the Trojans. Found that kinda humorous.

I also grew up in a hockey family, even though I'm from California. My dad was from Livonia, Michigan, big time Detroit-everything fan (Red Wings, Lions, Tigers, Pistons, etc.), played goalie himself in college and was going to make the pros (knee problems screwed him up so he went into carpentry rather than sports).. despite that he didn't really teach me much about hockey. It was when he died when I was 10, and I visited family in Michigan, that I was introduced to it and started to like it. Some sad irony as well, relating to his Detroit Red Wings fan-dom. He was born in 1960, 5 years after the last Wings cup win w/Gordie (RIP). He died in 1993, 4 years before they won their next cup, so he never got to see them win, whereas I saw them go on to win 4 cups (and lose 2 finals). That's gotta suck.

Also, thanks to sites like ancestry, and mapping our DNA, I found out that along with my moms side being from Germany (she was born there) and British royalty, some of them are Irish, but regarding my dads side.. they seemingly go back and forth between the Detroit area and Windsor, then when going further back they are from Quebec and France. I didn't learn much of this until I moved to Canada, so I had been wondering why family found my move so ironic. As you can see, our family doesn't communicate very well.

Edited by IAMX