27 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All

Quick Question my Husbands Father is our main sponsor if my Husbands parents became ill and needed help...can you get an extension to a visitors visa? have never really thought about this before its just something that has came up and would like to know what we would do in this situation.

Thanks Leanne

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Penguin_ie said:

That is incorrect; you CAN apply and be approved for an extension, which is usually another 6 months.  Keep in mind you cannot work in the USA, and taking care of an elderly relative may be considered working.  

This is true IF you enter on a visa.  If you use the Visa Waiver program (ESTA), you can only stay 90 days and there is no extension possible le.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, jan22 said:

This is true IF you enter on a visa.  If you use the Visa Waiver program (ESTA), you can only stay 90 days and there is no extension possible le.

Yeah I know I could stay the 90days...but it was incase something happened before we got our green cards ..and they need our help 

10 minutes ago, LeanneT said:

Yeah I know I could stay the 90days...but it was incase something happened before we got our green cards ..and they need our help 

The main point I was trying to make was in respone to your question regarding an extension of stay -- that is not at all possible with a visa waiver entry.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, jan22 said:

The main point I was trying to make was in respone to your question regarding an extension of stay -- that is not at all possible with a visa waiver entry.

Sorry didn't mean it to sound cheeky ..I just thought something separate in place for this sort of thing 

6 hours ago, LeanneT said:

Sorry didn't mean it to sound cheeky ..I just thought something separate in place for this sort of thing 

No problem...just wanted to be sure I had been clear.  A visitor's visa (B1/B2) would let you stay up to 6 months and you can apply for an extention for another 6 months.  However, you may not be approved for one, since you have a pending I migration petition, and if denied you then couldn'the use the visa waiver program for a while.  Hopefully, you won't be faced with any emergency where you have to worry about this.

Your profile says F-3 (married sons and daughters of USCs). Assuming that is the category you are in, the wait is 12 years and climbing. Not sure how long you have been waiting already. During that time anything can happen, of course. People become unwell, people age, etc. But these are things you just have to take into consideration when you are in a category with a long wait. If they should become unwell, USCIS will not make any special provisions for you - it's part of life and the way they see it there are plenty of doctors, nurses and care workers here in the USA who can take care of them. Your case won't be fast-tracked or expedited if that's what you were asking. If the petitioner dies, your petition dies with him. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
On 21/04/2017 at 0:46 PM, JFH said:

Your profile says F-3 (married sons and daughters of USCs). Assuming that is the category you are in, the wait is 12 years and climbing. Not sure how long you have been waiting already. During that time anything can happen, of course. People become unwell, people age, etc. But these are things you just have to take into consideration when you are in a category with a long wait. If they should become unwell, USCIS will not make any special provisions for you - it's part of life and the way they see it there are plenty of doctors, nurses and care workers here in the USA who can take care of them. Your case won't be fast-tracked or expedited if that's what you were asking. If the petitioner dies, your petition dies with him. 

We only have about 3 1/2 yrs to go...I was only asking as something came up and I just wanted to know what we would /could do in that situation...his parents are only in early 50s so I can't and hope nothing happens 

1 hour ago, LeanneT said:

We only have about 3 1/2 yrs to go...I was only asking as something came up and I just wanted to know what we would /could do in that situation...his parents are only in early 50s so I can't and hope nothing happens 

It's good to be prepared! 

Setiosly, I think the biggest "risk"

you face is your category being closed down completely. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Basically no, the VWP just allows you to visit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 hours ago, JFH said:

It's good to be prepared! 

Setiosly, I think the biggest "risk"

you face is your category being closed down completely. 

I don't really read anything now ..I don't get a chance, the last I heard trump was talking about a merit based...which I guess then we would fall into that?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, LeanneT said:

I don't really read anything now ..I don't get a chance, the last I heard trump was talking about a merit based...which I guess then we would fall into that?

Merit based = education based

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.