Katherine93

Case Approved - AOS interview experience Houston office

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

We had our AOS interview on Thursday 12/8 and was approved for green card. I have received a lot of help from this forum so I wanted to share my own experience that may be helpful to anyone in the future.

My specific timeline is in my signature. Long story short that my husband (USC) and I (adjusted from F1 visa) have been married for 1 year and 9 months and been together for over 3 years. We are located in Houston, TX. We are about the same age 22/23

Our interview appointment was at 12:45 pm, we arrived 10 mins before as my husband could not get off until noon. We went through security and everyone was asked to power off all electronic devices and put them away. We sat in the lobby with about 40 other couples and waited for over 1.5 hours before my name was called...then the IO who was a mid-aged hispanic looking lady took us to her office. She had a thick stack of file that included everything that we already submitted. She took our DLs, my passport and my husband's birth certificate. I had to explain to her why my husband didn't change his address on his DL after we moved (it's our old apt address on his), but she didn't seem to care. She also took my new i693 envelope as my old medical expired after 1 year. She then started by verifying the information on the i130 and i485 forms and put check marks on there as we answered. She asked my husband most of the questions...I was kinda worried about that as my husband is very careless and extremely forgetful. I was afraid that he was gonna mess up a date or something lol Below are some questions that I remember from the interview:

- How did you meet?

- What is your birthday? And what is your wife's? (my husband almost got my bday wrong!!! because mine and his mothers are very close so he almost said his mom's bday but he corrected it immediately)

-When did you get married?

- When did you move to this apartment? How much is the rent? Where did you live before? and before that? (She took our joint apartment leases of all the apartments we lived at)

- Have you met your wife's family?

- Who cooks at home?

- Do you want kids? and why not?

- Do you have joint bank accounts? (No. because we both work and it's easier for us to keep accounts separate. I explained to her that we use Chase quickpay to transfer money to each other for utilities, rent, eating out. etc. but she wasn't interested in seeing the payment statements I brought)

- Do you have joint health insurance? (No. I get my insurance from grad school and my husband has no insurance)

- Does your husband have any sibling?

- Who lives in the apartment? (My husband said me my wife and our car mr. jiggles and she started laughing and said oh you are funny)

- What else did you bring that can prove that you are a couple?

The rest is just chit chat. She went through our photo album that had 80+ photos including vacations, friends and family pics, holiday pics, bday pics, party pics, graduation pics and she made comments on many of them. She ended up taking 4 or 5 for her file. We brought a lot of documents but she was only interested in the ones that had both of our names on it. She even used a highlighter to highlight our joint information on them. She didn't want to see any of the concert tickets or gift receipts that we brought. She ended up taking for her file our apt leases, most recent joint tax return, our cat's adoption documents, and our joint car insurance paper.

I think the whole interview lasted about 15-20 mins. She said she would review and let us know a decision by mail in 4-6 weeks. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get approved on the spot but we were confident that we would get approved. An hour later I got case update that it's been approved and new card has been ordered.

I wanted to point out couple things that I had questions about through out the AOS process and hopefully this can be helpful to someone:

1. We did not have joint bank accounts or credit cards. A lot of people say it's important, but it seems like if you have plenty of other evidence showing co-mingle of finance and just life in general, you should be fine.

2. My husband was charged with an Adam Walsh Act offense. Due to some crazy ex-gf drama he was charged with a felony sexual offense that he didn't deserve but could fall under AWA. That charge was eventually amended to a misdemeanor non-sexual offense and that was what he was convicted of. I was very worried about this at the beginning of our AOS process that he might get additional background check and may be found ineligible to sponsor. After consulting with a very experienced attorney we decided to not disclose it in our application. It was never brought up during the whole process and did not cause any issue. I remember someone on this forum had similar question so just wanted to put this out there for any future reference.

3. My husband's income was just a little over the poverty requirement when we filed. We used his current income that consisted of 6 months worth of paychecks and a letter from his employer stating his position, hours and wage. We never got an RFE. He later lost his job and his current income did not meet the requirement anymore. I brought an updated i864 to the interview that included my income which significantly exceeds the requirement, and our most recent 4 paychecks. However the IO didn't ask for it. I think that we might just have got lucky. I would still suggest being prepared for an updated i864 if your sponsor has changed jobs.

I'm glad this is over for now as we waited for 13 months already. Best of luck everyone on your immigration and life journeys!

Edited by Katherine93

08/13/2013 Came to the US on F1 visa

09/26/2013 Met my husband

11/03/2013 Started dating

03/11/2015 Got married at the court house

10/23/2015 Medical exam done

11/04/2015 AOS package mailed out by USPS priority (I130 & I145 concurrent filing)

11/06/2015 Packaged delivered to Chicago Lockbox

11/13/2015 Both checks cashed by USCIS

11/15/2015 Received text msg notification of receipts of I765, I131, I130 and I485

11/19/2015 Received NOA in mail

11/20/2015 Received biometrics appointment letter in the mail

12/04/2015 Biometrics appointment completed

12/09/2015 Case ready to be scheduled for interview

01/25/2016 Submitted online service request for EAD

01/27/2016 I765 case status updated to "New Card Being Produced"

01/28/2016 EAD officially approved and card has been mailed

02/03/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in the mail. YAY!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10/27/2016 EAD/AP renewal application mailed USPS priority

10/29/2016 EAD/AP renewal package delivered to Chicago Lockbox (Saturday)

11/02/2016 Online case status updated to interview scheduled for December 8th

11/12/2016 New medical exam done due to one year validity

12/08/2016 AOS interview and case was APPROVED, new card is being produced

12/12/2016 Received Approval/welcome notice in the mail

12/16/2016 Received conditional green card in the mail

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01/31/2017 Filed for divorce (long story)

07/26/2017 Final divorce decree granted 

08/21/2017 i-751 with divorce waiver package mailed USPS priority 

08/28/2017 NOA/Extension letter received in mail 

11/01/2018 New card is being produced

11/02/2018 Case approved 

11/06/2018 Card has been mailed to me

11/08/2018 Received 10 year green card in mail

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/21/2022 Applied for N-400 Naturalization online. Bio-reuse. 

8/16/2022 Interview scheduled for 9/19

9/19/2022 Interview. Recommended for Approval 

10/12/2022 Oath Ceremony 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for sharing your story, really awesome post. Congratulations!

AOS Package sent: 12/20/2016

AOS Package received: 12/22/2016

Fees accepted: 01/05/2017

NOA email received: 01/09/2017

NOA letter received: 01/13/2017 (dated 01/06/2017)

Biometrics appointment letter received: 01/21/2017 (dated 01/14/2017)

Biometrics appointment date: 01/30/2017

Case status changed to ready to schedule interview: 02/10/2017

EAD card status changed to being produced: 03/24/2017

EAD card sent in the mail 04/03/2017

Interview scheduled for: 05/10/2017 (Case status changed on 04/04/2017)

Good to hear about the health insurance too! My husband and I pay so much for the two of us and since I'm going to work at the same company, I'm getting my own. Much cheaper! But I'm slightly worried they'll ask questions why we don't share. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Timeline

Thank you for sharing your story, really awesome post. Congratulations!

Congrats ;)

Thank you! :)

Good to hear about the health insurance too! My husband and I pay so much for the two of us and since I'm going to work at the same company, I'm getting my own. Much cheaper! But I'm slightly worried they'll ask questions why we don't share. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

You are welcome :) I wouldn't sweat it. If they do ask you at the interview I'd just tell them the honest reason. They are not going to determine whether your marriage is legitimate solely based on whether or not you have health insurance together. They'll take everything into consideration so if you have lots of other evidence you'll be just fine!

11/04/2015 AOS package mailed out by USPS priority (I130 & I145 concurrent filing)

11/15/2015 Received text msg notification of receipts of I765, I131, I130 and I485

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11/02/2018 Case approved 

10/12/2022 Oath Ceremony 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from the "AOS from WS&T Visas" main forum to the Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We had our AOS interview on Thursday 12/8 and was approved for green card. I have received a lot of help from this forum so I wanted to share my own experience that may be helpful to anyone in the future.

My specific timeline is in my signature. Long story short that my husband (USC) and I (adjusted from F1 visa) have been married for 1 year and 9 months and been together for over 3 years. We are located in Houston, TX. We are about the same age 22/23

Our interview appointment was at 12:45 pm, we arrived 10 mins before as my husband could not get off until noon. We went through security and everyone was asked to power off all electronic devices and put them away. We sat in the lobby with about 40 other couples and waited for over 1.5 hours before my name was called...then the IO who was a mid-aged hispanic looking lady took us to her office. She had a thick stack of file that included everything that we already submitted. She took our DLs, my passport and my husband's birth certificate. I had to explain to her why my husband didn't change his address on his DL after we moved (it's our old apt address on his), but she didn't seem to care. She also took my new i693 envelope as my old medical expired after 1 year. She then started by verifying the information on the i130 and i485 forms and put check marks on there as we answered. She asked my husband most of the questions...I was kinda worried about that as my husband is very careless and extremely forgetful. I was afraid that he was gonna mess up a date or something lol Below are some questions that I remember from the interview:

- How did you meet?

- What is your birthday? And what is your wife's? (my husband almost got my bday wrong!!! because mine and his mothers are very close so he almost said his mom's bday but he corrected it immediately)

- When did you move to this apartment? How much is the rent? Where did you live before? and before that? (She took our joint apartment leases of all the apartments we lived at)

- Who cooks at home?

- Do you have joint bank accounts? (No. because we both work and it's easier for us to keep accounts separate. I explained to her that we use Chase quickpay to transfer money to each other for utilities, rent, eating out. etc. but she wasn't interested in seeing the payment statements I brought)

- Do you have joint health insurance? (No. I get my insurance from grad school and my husband has no insurance)

- Who lives in the apartment? (My husband said me my wife and our car mr. jiggles and she started laughing and said oh you are funny)

The rest is just chit chat. She went through our photo album that had 80+ photos including vacations, friends and family pics, holiday pics, bday pics, party pics, graduation pics and she made comments on many of them. She ended up taking 4 or 5 for her file. We brought a lot of documents but she was only interested in the ones that had both of our names on it. She even used a highlighter to highlight our joint information on them. She didn't want to see any of the concert tickets or gift receipts that we brought. She ended up taking for her file our apt leases, most recent joint tax return, our cat's adoption documents, and our joint car insurance paper.

I think the whole interview lasted about 15-20 mins. She said she would review and let us know a decision by mail in 4-6 weeks. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get approved on the spot but we were confident that we would get approved. An hour later I got case update that it's been approved and new card has been ordered.

I wanted to point out couple things that I had questions about through out the AOS process and hopefully this can be helpful to someone:

1. We did not have joint bank accounts or credit cards. A lot of people say it's important, but it seems like if you have plenty of other evidence showing co-mingle of finance and just life in general, you should be fine.

2. My husband was charged with an Adam Walsh Act offense. Due to some crazy ex-gf drama he was charged with a felony sexual offense that he didn't deserve but could fall under AWA. That charge was eventually amended to a misdemeanor non-sexual offense and that was what he was convicted of. I was very worried about this at the beginning of our AOS process that he might get additional background check and may be found ineligible to sponsor. After consulting with a very experienced attorney we decided to not disclose it in our application. It was never brought up during the whole process and did not cause any issue. I remember someone on this forum had similar question so just wanted to put this out there for any future reference.

3. My husband's income was just a little over the poverty requirement when we filed. We used his current income that consisted of 6 months worth of paychecks and a letter from his employer stating his position, hours and wage. We never got an RFE. He later lost his job and his current income did not meet the requirement anymore. I brought an updated i864 to the interview that included my income which significantly exceeds the requirement, and our most recent 4 paychecks. However the IO didn't ask for it. I think that we might just have got lucky. I would still suggest being prepared for an updated i864 if your sponsor has changed jobs.

I'm glad this is over for now as we waited for 13 months already. Best of luck everyone on your immigration and life journeys!

Thank you for posting this, our interview sometime in 2017 will be Houston office.

Did they ask you for any documents?, or further proof of an on going marriage since after you originally filed? Want to be really prepared for this.

Congrats on your approval.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Timeline

Thank you for posting this, our interview sometime in 2017 will be Houston office.

Did they ask you for any documents?, or further proof of an on going marriage since after you originally filed? Want to be really prepared for this.

Congrats on your approval.

She only asked for our new apt lease since we had moved this year, and the new medical since the old one expired after one year. She then asked if we had anything else that we wanted to submit that could prove that we are a couple, so we gave her our 2015 joint tax return, our cat's adoption document, flight & hotel reservations for the trips that we took since the time that we filed, and our joint car insurance documents. We front loaded our application package so there was not much that she specifically wanted. We didn't apply for AOS until about 9 months after we get married, so we did already submit a lot of evidence in the original package. We actually brought EVERYTHING that we had submitted PLUS the new evidence, but she was only interested in seeing the new ones. So I would focus on the new material, although it wouldn't hurt to have everything just in case.

11/02/2018 Case approved 

10/12/2022 Oath Ceremony 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

- How did you meet?

- Who cooks at home?

Congratulations! We have the same PD, same interview date and we were both approved on the spot @ Houston USCIS Field Office :joy: Best of luck in the future, x.

Naturalization Journey(Time elapsed from N-400 filing date to case approval - 1 year, 1 month, 14 days)

03/03/2020 Filed N400 application online

02/22/2021 Biometrics appointment

04/16/2021 Interview and Approval

05/12/2021 Oath Ceremony

ROC Journey(Time elapsed from ROC filing date to case approval - 1 year, 2 months, 8 days)

09/11/2018 ROC Petition mailed via USPS Priority Mail

09/13/2018 Package delivered by USPS to Texas Lockbox

09/19/2018  Received text message and email confirmation from USCIS confirming receipt of ROC Petition 

10/29/2018 Received three (😲) NOA/I-797 Letters in the mail ; NOA date - 10/22/2018, ROC received date - 09/13/2018

05/25/2019 Biometrics Waiver Letter received from USCIS (dated 05/17/2019)

10/03/2019 Case transferred to Potomac Service Center

11/20/2019 Case was approved

11/22/2019 Card mailed to me

11/27/2019 10 Year P.R. Card received in the mail, Praise God!!!

AOS Journey(Time elapsed from AOS filing date to case approval - 1 year , 1 month, 4 days)

08/14/2015 Date of Marriage in Houston, TX

11/02/2015 Concurrent filing package for AOS sent: I-130, I-485 and I-765 (mailed via USPS Priority Mail)

11/4/2015 Package delivered by USPS to Chicago Lockbox

11/13/2015 Checks cashed by USCIS

11/20/2015 NOA/I-797Cs received in the mail (Priority Date - 11/5/2015)

12/04/2015 Biometrics Appointment Date

01/26/2016 EAD Approval Date

01/29/2016 EAD received in the mail

10/21/2016 EAD Extension Package sent via USPS Priority Mail

10/24/2016 EAD Extension Package delivered by USPS to Chicago Lockbox

10/26/2016 Confirmation of EAD Extension Package Receipt by USCIS

10/31/2016 AOS Interview Notice Date. Interview scheduled for 12/08/2016 in Houston, TX

12/08/2016 AOS Interview - Approved on the Spot

12/08/2016 I-130 and I-485 approved; text messages and emails received, Case Status updated on USCIS website

12/12/2016 I-130 and I-485 Approval Notices received in the mail

12/13/2016 Green Card mailed to me

12/15/2016 2 Year Green Card received in the mail :dancing: Thank you Jesus!!!

Timeline

Congratulations! We have the same PD, same interview date and we were both approved on the spot @ Houston USCIS Field Office :joy: Best of luck in the future, x.

Right I remember haha! We are on the same timeline :D Congrats to you too!!

11/02/2018 Case approved 

10/12/2022 Oath Ceremony 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.