e-migra

Terrified about Citizenship Interview [merged threads]

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have my interview tomorrow, and I'm really scared. I didn't save a copy of my application, and just found out that they ask you details about your employment, like dates, etc. I worked in so many places at the same time (part-time jobs), it will be impossible to remember!

Did you get a lot of questions about that? What if I make a mistake and tell the wrong date? Any advice?

Thanks!

My IO didn't care about my employment history. She just asked if my current employer is the same as I listed and what kind of work I do. Not a single question was asked to confirm the dates of my past employments. Good luck!

Hi,

I have my interview tomorrow, and I'm really scared. I didn't save a copy of my application, and just found out that they ask you details about your employment, like dates, etc. I worked in so many places at the same time (part-time jobs), it will be impossible to remember!

Did you get a lot of questions about that? What if I make a mistake and tell the wrong date? Any advice?

Thanks!

Please don't be terrified, just let the Officer know exactly what you said here, we are not there to be mean or to try and make you nervous. Just be honest that you forgot to make a copy of the application before you sent it in, and that you have worked so many places that to remember everything if asked on the spot might be hard to remember, when I was interviewing N-400's I pretty much just asked where you were currently working and really didn't have time to go into depth about all the past employers. We are usually only give 20-25 mins per interview and most of the time we are rushing to try and get everyone interviewed on time. Just relax, don't loose sleep over this. It will be OK

Hi,

I had my interview last week and something really strange happened: the officer told me I spent over 400 days out of the US in the last 2 years. That is not true, I was out for 3 weeks only. He told me that according to the USCIS records I was out for more than 6 months, so he could not approve my application. They are going to investigate and let me know in 30 days what the final decision is.

How is that possible? How do they calculate? There's obviously a mistake from their part. I hope they get this straight and approve my citizenship.

Has this happened to anyone before?

Hi! They did't ask me almost anything special, just to confirm the current address and employment, how many kids I have, very relaxed. I passed the English and civics test.

I did have a problem, because according to their records I spend more than one year abroad, which is not true. They'll investigate more and let me know what the final decision is in 30 days. I asked if I needed to provide proof that I was only out of the country for 3 weeks, but they said that no, they have to investigate, I cannot provide any evidence. So, still waiting...

Thank you for your your support! Good luck to all!!!!

Edited by e-migra

Did you tell them at the time that they were mistaken?

It sounds like CBP recorded a departure but not the re-entry three weeks later, meaning their records reflect that you were gone for much longer than you actually were.

You should be able to prove they are in error by showing financial and other documents indicating that you were physically present in the US during the period they believe you were overseas.

Continuation thread has been merged with main thread and moved from the US Citizenship main forum to the Case Progress subforum.

Did you tell them at the time that they were mistaken?

It sounds like CBP recorded a departure but not the re-entry three weeks later, meaning their records reflect that you were gone for much longer than you actually were.

You should be able to prove they are in error by showing financial and other documents indicating that you were physically present in the US during the period they believe you were overseas.

Yes, I told them it was a mistake. I told him that I cannot take off from work more than 3 weeks, so it was impossible for me to leave for a year. I asked the officer if he needed proof from me, and he said no, they have to do their internal investigation. I guess all I can do now is wait...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.