Marrienne

Interview of minors different date from parents???

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Hey guys!
I have a question after reading some other older threads. We have filed 3 Immigrant Visas petitions, myself and two 10 year old boys (my husband's stepsons).
Is it possible they will schedule the interviews at different dates for the 3 of us?? I still can't wrap my head around the fact they would want to interview 10 year olds :)
And ok, silly sub-question, is it possible to DENY a child's IV but approve the parent's (remember I am talking about a 10 year old).
Thank you!!

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

2011 - Met hubby online and became friends
Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)
January 2016 - Finished gathering all documents and getting them translated
* * DCF in Athens, Greece * *

28th January 2016 - Finally filed I-130s
29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

September 2016 - Hubby is diagnosed with congestive heart failure
October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

October 2017 - March 2018 - Situation at home is toxic. He files for divorce.

July 2018 - Divorce is final. I have full custody of our daughter.

ROC (GC expires July 19th 2018)

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

August 30th - NOA1 received with 18 month extension (fee waiver approved).

March 28th 2019 - Biometrics

August 8th 2019 - Case Approved No RFE No Interview - 10 year GC in production

N400 (Online - Detroit, MI office)
June 6th 2023 - Applied for naturalization under 5 year rule.
June 7th 2023 - Application received/Biometric will be reused.
June 16th - Interview scheduled.
July 27th - Upcoming interview.

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Unlikely they will schedule the interview date for a minor on different date.

And your other question: Yes it is possible. I.e. if the Consul has doubt, that the children are legit, and you don't provide further evidence, then your petition can be approved and theirs denied. Probaly happens once a year worldwide though.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

As long as your cases are joined together everyone will get the same interview day. Everyone who is getting an immigrant visa must attend an interview at the very least to assure they are who they are in their passport. They may ask the children a question or two, but it's not really an interview. That means that yes, even babies who are getting an IV need to attend the "interview."

Be sure to have a notarized letter from their other biological parent stating they are aware the children are moving to the USA. Especially if you do not have sole custody, but even if you do it's a good letter to have.

No they won't deny a child's IV when they approve the parent's unless some paperwork was wrong, then they get a 221g... which is not a denial.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

As long as your cases are joined together everyone will get the same interview day. Everyone who is getting an immigrant visa must attend an interview at the very least to assure they are who they are in their passport. They may ask the children a question or two, but it's not really an interview. That means that yes, even babies who are getting an IV need to attend the "interview."

Be sure to have a notarized letter from their other biological parent stating they are aware the children are moving to the USA. Especially if you do not have sole custody, but even if you do it's a good letter to have.

No they won't deny a child's IV when they approve the parent's unless some paperwork was wrong, then they get a 221g... which is not a denial.

Not sure is they joined together although in the approval letter it said smt like CR-1 for me and CR-2 or smt like that for them.

I do have a notarized letter AND have submitted the full custody court decision (I mean I have full custody). I haven't been asked (yet) for that letter but I will have it with me just in case. :)

Thank you guys!!!

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)

29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

I mean that you completed everything about the same time and the embassy knows the cases are together.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hey guys!

I have a question after reading some other older threads. We have filed 3 Immigrant Visas petitions, myself and two 10 year old boys (my husband's stepsons).

Is it possible they will schedule the interviews at different dates for the 3 of us?? I still can't wrap my head around the fact they would want to interview 10 year olds :)

And ok, silly sub-question, is it possible to DENY a child's IV but approve the parent's (remember I am talking about a 10 year old).

Thank you!!

Since it's 3 separate cases, you could end up with different interview dates. Easy to fix by requesting the interviews be scheduled for the same time.

Everyone gets interviews. Even 10 years old kids. It's easier to detect fake marriages by interviewing kids.

It's possible to approve the parent and not the kids. If the non-immigrant parent or local laws does not allow the child to immigrate.

Timeline

Thank you!!

Ok we are covered then. Both the law and their bio dad have given consent plus I have a court verified decision we can immigrate so all is well in that department :)

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

• 7 months later...

I am Petitioning for my Philippine Citizen wife, and she has a thirteen year old son that we decided that we want to bring with us. Only his mother, my wife is on his birth certificate. Do we fill out a separate I-130 for him? Also we fill out a G-325 for him, and we provide proof of his identity by submitting a copy of his birth certificate, and his passport? Then I file those things as the Petition for him? Then he gets an NOA2, and a MNL case number? He fills out a DS-260? He gets a DS-260 completion confirmation page, and he schedules his Embassy Visa Interview Appointment? He complete the St. Luke's Hospital Extension Center's Online Registration, goes to his Medical Examination at St. Luke's, and then goes to his Embassy Visa Interview, with his mother, I hope? Do we pay the same for the Petition as we do his mother's Petition, and the same fee at the hospital as we do for his mother, and do we pay the same for the interview as we do for his mother's interview? I, the US Citizen, had all this pretty well figured out for Petitioning for his mother, but last night we decided that we want to bring him with us. Thank you for helping us to understand all this! Now that we want to bring him with us, we don't know how to correctly process the papers, and how to correctly get it all accomplished. We have to fill out separate forms for him, not just add him on his mother's forms, is that correct? Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.