90 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

This is what I don't understand about Philippines culture: why does the girl's husband have to support her family in someway? Does it apply to everyone or the 'must be rich' Americans ? Does a son have to support his family and also contribute to his wife's family regardless there in Philippines? Why can't the parents support themselves given they have been able to raise the kids til they are ready to get married? Or must marital happiness have to tie with financial contribution? To me it sounds more like girls are just looking for someone to reply on once they leave the parental nest (only if the girl doesn't work and asks for money otherwise my assumption does not apply so please don't get offended).

It's common in Asian countries for kids to support their parents once they're married and working. It isn't just a Philippines thing. Traditionally it is the son(s) who provide support. I just think Filipinos pops up on VJ more often due to circumstances.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Timeline

Nope, not to me. She is probably quite aware of "horror stories" of other fillipinas moving to the USA and finding out the situation was far from ideal. She's worried it will happen to her, and is getting cold feet. To me, she was saying, "Look, please understand why i'm flipping out. Ask around and you'll see what I'm worried about." Makes sense to me. Not the most direct way, but I wouldn't call it rude necessarily.

That being said, I thought the OP's follow-up info was more worrisome and her response THERE was a bit rude.

Perhaps true...but i suppose we made huge sacrifices in this journey of love and not live by what others have to tell us... this is immature to say the least... Edited by onye uwaoma

Filed: Timeline

It's common in Asian countries for kids to support their parents once they're married and working. It isn't just a Philippines thing. Traditionally it is the son(s) who provide support. I just think Filipinos pops up on VJ more often due to circumstances.

Same in African setting, however, the issue is the approach with the op's fiancee to this as if that's what it's all about... Always family first in any setting be it African, Asian, American, European, etc etc otherwise it won't work out... Edited by onye uwaoma

I hear you and I completely understand that because I'm Chinese.

I have been raised in the culture of brides' price, the desperate needs to save face, importance of financial stability and more, however the fact the so many females (basing on what I have read so far here ) expects a life time financial contribution to their parents still strikes me. To me when you consider those as the priority, the marriage itself is nothing but a business transaction.

I might be going way out of limb on my comment though.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

With PI it seem very much as a family investment both in financial terms immediately and future immigration opportunities.

Obviously there have been many many threads on this subject, usually where the male USA has not appreciated the deal.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Closed for review~~~

***Thread back open, two posts contributing nothing to the discussion removed. From this point on, all replies in this thread are to address the OP. Any additional posts that argue with other posters will be removed and thread bans at the very least imposed.***

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

TRUST is the Key.. she should trust you..

Love is patient and kind.

Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.

Love does not demand its own way.

Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged.

Love is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.

Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

Love will last forever

(1Corinthians13:4-8)

God Bless You!

It's really hard to translate this without knowing more about you and your fiancee. I don't see any sort of cultural cue. However, some impressions:

-It seems she's relying on you to make her happy.
-Sort of seems she doesn't have the skills nor the capability to take care of herself once she's with you in the US.
-It looks like she thinks marriage is this purely happy situation with no problems--and that you are totally responsible for maintaining this happy state. How old is your fiancee? It almost sounds like a child-parent sort of expectation, not an adult-adult expectation.

What seems the most obvious is that she can't tell you directly what her expectations really are. Instead, she sends you on this wild goose chase. I think this is a huge communication hurdle that you guys need to work out. It's going to be more intense when she's in the US. She won't have her friends and family around her and you'll both be spending a lot of time together.

She said she has some doubts and needed me to assure her that she would be “happy and satisfied with no doubts”. She wants to be “assured that I could take care her”.

I tried to ask for specifics but she just advised me to find a Filpina married to an American and ask them.

So ...can this be translated for me...is this just cold feet or am I missing a cultural cue.

Blue Bianchi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

01/08/2020 Day 00 - Submitted N-400 online

01/11/2020 Day 03 - Received NOA online, Priority Date January 8, 2020

01/14/2020 Day 06 - Received notice of Biometrics appointment online.

01/31/2020 Day 20 - Biometrics Appointment (scheduled)
07/08/2020 Day 183 - Received online notice of citizenship interview 
08/21/2020 Day 227 - Citizenship interview
08/21/2020 Day 227 - Citizenship Oath (Same day as interview!)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Now that I have your attention.... maybe some of you experts can advise me.....

We got the I-797 approved and were just starting the process of getting a date for the interview when my fiance suddenly got cold feet.

She said she has some doubts and needed me to assure her that she would be happy and satisfied with no doubts. She wants to be assured that I could take care her.

I tried to ask for specifics but she just advised me to find a Filpina married to an American and ask them.

I actually have a good relationship with her and she says she wants the engagement to continue.

So ...can this be translated for me...is this just cold feet or am I missing a cultural cue.

hey - how are her feets these days,

and

were you successful in talking with a Filipina, face to face, that was married to an American, yet?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

It's really hard to translate this without knowing more about you and your fiancee. I don't see any sort of cultural cue. However, some impressions:

-It seems she's relying on you to make her happy.

-Sort of seems she doesn't have the skills nor the capability to take care of herself once she's with you in the US.

-It looks like she thinks marriage is this purely happy situation with no problems--and that you are totally responsible for maintaining this happy state. How old is your fiancee? It almost sounds like a child-parent sort of expectation, not an adult-adult expectation.

What seems the most obvious is that she can't tell you directly what her expectations really are. Instead, she sends you on this wild goose chase. I think this is a huge communication hurdle that you guys need to work out. It's going to be more intense when she's in the US. She won't have her friends and family around her and you'll both be spending a lot of time together.

eh - I translitered all of the OP's stuff to mean, exactly, that she was to handle her life as a typical OFW. And that he has to handle the monies differential until she got a job.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Ah well, OFWs have more life skills than a young provincial lass who hasn't struck out on her own. Again, really hard to tell since we don't know much about the OP and his fiancee.

It is true that Filipino children are more inclined to take care of their parents and their own young families from afar. But the Filipino woman who expects her husband (Filipino or foreign) to take this on is of a different sort. Even in a marriage between two Filipinos, the woman takes care of her parents and the guy takes care of his.

eh - I translitered all of the OP's stuff to mean, exactly, that she was to handle her life as a typical OFW. And that he has to handle the monies differential until she got a job.

Blue Bianchi

Timeline

Ah well, OFWs have more life skills than a young provincial lass who hasn't struck out on her own. Again, really hard to tell since we don't know much about the OP and his fiancee.

It is true that Filipino children are more inclined to take care of their parents and their own young families from afar. But the Filipino woman who expects her husband (Filipino or foreign) to take this on is of a different sort. Even in a marriage between two Filipinos, the woman takes care of her parents and the guy takes care of his.

I know, right? (the stuff of yers that I bolded) - but

based on what the OP has written, it sure reads that

the family back home

is expecting his contribution into the OFW remittance calendar.

52 percent of all monies declared yearly in the PI from the banks, come in from the monies of the OFW set. 52 percent.

But I digress. It's really hard to get a solid sense of what's going on between the two. Sure, we can all read inbetween the lines and speculate (myself included !) but without that fella coming back and giving long, well-written updates on what he's learned from actually talking with a Filipina married to a USCitizen, he's really not jumped over the bar she raised to him.

Right? Right?

I do wish the OP would return and clear up the mud... or did i miss it, in an earlier post ?

Yup, that 52 percent is how much family means to Filipinos. OFW life is a , until one learns to adapt. Then its okay. But just okay. There is nothing sweeter to Filipinos than Filipino friends and family.

About the OP, one more thing that comes to mind is that Filipinos have a really hard time asking for something directly. This is because such directness is considered rude in Philippine and even Asian culture. This is something OP and fiancee need to get a handle on. I see a lot of indirectness and vagueness in her quoted words.

I've had to really be mindful of how I communicate with my husband and my colleagues. After years in the US, I think I've gotten the hang of it...But then I have to switch back to Philippine-style asking when I'm visiting the homeland. And that's been hard too.

I know, right? (the stuff of yers that I bolded) - but
based on what the OP has written, it sure reads that
the family back home
is expecting his contribution into the OFW remittance calendar.

52 percent of all monies declared yearly in the PI from the banks, come in from the monies of the OFW set. 52 percent.

But I digress. It's really hard to get a solid sense of what's going on between the two. Sure, we can all read inbetween the lines and speculate (myself included !) but without that fella coming back and giving long, well-written updates on what he's learned from actually talking with a Filipina married to a USCitizen, he's really not jumped over the bar she raised to him.

Right? Right?

I do wish the OP would return and clear up the mud... or did i miss it, in an earlier post ?

Blue Bianchi

This is what I don't understand about Philippines culture: why does the girl's husband have to support her family in someway? Does it apply to everyone or the 'must be rich' Americans ? Does a son have to support his family and also contribute to his wife's family regardless there in Philippines? Why can't the parents support themselves given they have been able to raise the kids til they are ready to get married? Or must marital happiness have to tie with financial contribution? To me it sounds more like girls are just looking for someone to reply on once they leave the parental nest (only if the girl doesn't work and asks for money otherwise my assumption does not apply so please don't get offended).

I am married to a Filippina. I told her that when she came here. She will have to work if she wants us to help her family back home. After she got adjusted here a little bit. She got a job she is happy and I am happy for her. I know her family means a lot to her. Also my brother is married to a Filippina and she also works to help my brother and also to help her family. I met some of my sister in laws friends they are the same way

I also have heard that a filippina will expect thier husband to take care of their family.but I have not seen it here. Every Filippina

I know it is just the opposite they want to work to help out. Maybe it what they learn or who they meet when they here or maybe it is how they was bought up in the Philippines. I do know family is very important to a Filippina and if her husband does not want her to work then most likely he will also be paying to help her family. It is a very poor country in most parts.What we take for granted is so much for them

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

I just read through everyone's responses and really want to thank you for the feedback. I guess I should be a little more understanding of her request ....

I was getting a little frustrated and impatient with the whole thing after working so hard to get the I-797... and now it looks like it's going to slide over the 4 month expiration deadline (I'm not looking forward to going through the whole 129f ordeal again).

But anyway I think I will try really hard to explain to her the life here, and how we can try and overcome the away-from-family/nothing-to-do syndrome which is a real issue. She is from a big city, but is really close to her huge family and church so I can see how she could feel isolated. I was thinking of a lot she could do here but to be honest I haven't discussed any of that with her...my bad..

I did assure her that I would support her family in the Phil by more than what she contributes from her job there that she would have to leave...

I guess I might even have to make the trip there again and buy the whole family dinner. But that's a bit much to do just hoping that it'll give her more assurance....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.