theuniverse

U.S consulate is requesting additional sponsor for no good reason.

31 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I'm petitioning my dad from Costa Rica and I'm a U.S citizen and my dad has already been scheduled an interview but the U.S consulate in costa rica told my dad he needs an additional sponsor which is ridiculous since I make $40,000 a year with my mom in a household of 4 people and it meets 125% of poverty line. Now, I'm planning to add my brother who lives and works in the u.s as a joint sponsor but he is only a resident and the consulate in the e-mail said they needed prove the joint sponsor is a u.s citizen they mentioned they need "birth certificate or passport", does this mean my brother can't be a joint sponsor if he's just a permanent resident?

Edited by theuniverse

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your brother can be a joint sponsor. He must provide:

- copy of his green card (front & back)

- copy of his birth certificate and copy of your birth certificate to show sibling relationship

- copy of his 2014 ITR and W2

- his income alone must meet the requirements for his own number of household plus dad

As previously stated, no combining of incomes. Good luck!

Edited by apple21

you cannot combine income

Not for joint sponsor, I understand that. My mom and I live in the same household so in this case with an I-864A I was able to combine the income of both, but that doesn't answer what i'm asking in the original post.

Your brother can be a joint sponsor. He must provide:

- copy of his green card (front & back)

- copy of his birth certificate and copy of your birth certificate to show sibling relationship

- copy of his 2014 ITR and W2

- his income alone must meet the requirements for his own number of household plus dad

As previously stated, no combining of incomes. Good luck!

Thank you! you reply is helpful. Since we need to mail all documents to Costa rica my brother cannot provide his original green card, would a notarized copy of it be enough?

Timeline

Thank you! you reply is helpful. Since we need to mail all documents to Costa rica my brother cannot provide his original green card, would a notarized copy of it be enough?

Plain photocopy is enough. No need to notarize.

Plain photocopy is enough. No need to notarize.

The consulate representative is a hard asss and included something like "you should bring all original documents, if original documents are not presented during the interview, your Visa will be denied" so I'm worried. I don't think the rep even understands U.S immigration law is there a way for me to appeal in case something happens? let's say for example if they tell me that the joint sponsor needs to be a U.S citizen or that they will not take photocopies of permanent resident card.

Edited by theuniverse

Timeline

Original beneficiary civil documents must be brought to the interview. Maybe that's what they're saying.

For the affidavit of support in your case, the new original i864 must be submitted. Signed by your brother. The supporting docs that I mentioned above should be photocopies only. Nobody in their right mind would mail in the original green card. Lol.

is there a way for me to appeal in case something happens? let's say for example if they tell me that the joint sponsor needs to be a U.S citizen or that they will not take photocopies of permanent resident card?

You're over thinking this. Go read the i864 instructions again.

I did read it and even read the law in which the form is based on. What confuses me is that they are requesting an additional sponsor just because they feel like it, because I did the math and was able to combine household income with my mom using I-864A and we both make $40,000 a year which is above 125% of poverty line for 4 people, I included an income statement from all employers, W2s, pay stubs and copies of all tax returns. The State dept here never told me there was an issue with the income, So now the morons at the consulate in Costa rica decide to ask for an additional sponsor just because they feel like it, that doesn't seem right to me.

Edited by theuniverse

Timeline

Here is the IV unit email: consularsanjose@state.gov

http://costarica.usembassy.gov/ivfamily.html

Here is the IV unit email: consularsanjose@state.gov

http://costarica.usembassy.gov/ivfamily.html

Thanks, I'm not going to argue with these people I don't want to throw money away on a lawyer either, I'm just going to give them what they ask for. You've been very helpful.

Can you believe they gave us 7 days to submit the new i864 and gather all documents? they expect we use overnight international shipping. They say they will reschedule appointment if all documents are not obtained by the 24th which in this case it's very likely to happen, if they reschedule does anyone have any idea for how long it will be postponed?

Edited by theuniverse

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.