Hotter Otter

Anecdotes from America

53 posts in this topic

Oh swimming costume...I laughed my head off the first time I heard that or cozzy for short.

"Bring your cozzy," Say what?? :rofl:

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

My husband (the Brit) was recently looking around our new house to check for outdoor outlets. I didn't think too much of it (other than thinking all houses have these) until he commented how it was good there was one in front and one in back for the lawn mower. I was SO confused. Apparently electric/plug-in lawn mowers are the norm in England. I've asked around, and it seems we do have them in the states (or used to at least), but I've certainly never seen one! Our realtor/friend was over and had the same reaction. Sometimes you just don't know what you don't know I guess!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have seen battery ones here.

EasyGlide300V2.JPG

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I'm Cornish. :) I've had to explain what/where that is, too, and what all that "recognised national minority" stuff was that happened.

Ah Cornwall, Devons angry little sister! ;)

One of the things I miss most from the UK is a good pasty.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Ah Cornwall, Devons angry little sister! ;)

One of the things I miss most from the UK is a good pasty.

And Rhodda's clotted cream (cue list of everyone's most missed foods).

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

I'm flying home for 2 weeks tomorrow and I was asked how long it takes to get to the other side of the world :lol:

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

And Rhodda's clotted cream (cue list of everyone's most missed foods).

It's something that amused me no end when I was living in Florida, every once in a while we'd drive an hour over to Kissimee to visit a British shop so I could get my fix of things I missed like proper Mars bars, Walkers crisps, choccy Hobnobs, real bacon and that sort of stuff. And when there I'd usually have a craving for a can of Dandelion and Burdock at about $3 a can. In the 12 years I've been back in the UK I've probably had about 4 cans of D&B but while over there I just had to have it!

What amused me most, being Florida so Brit tourists everywhere, was watching the people who'd probably only been there a week or two going mad over the same things at ridiculous prices that they could get at normal prices just a few days later when they get home!

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline

I just got an email to "get tossing for charity!" Apparently tossing doesn't mean the same thing it does in the UK and in this case refers to corn tossing. I died when I opened my emails :lol:

I just got an email to "get tossing for charity!" Apparently tossing doesn't mean the same thing it does in the UK and in this case refers to corn tossing. I died when I opened my emails :lol:

Oh lord that's gold!

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

One of my first trips to the USA, the belt on my bum bag broke. My friends took me to the local Target to buy another, but we couldn't find the aisle they were supposed to be in. My friend then went up to one of the Store Clerks and said "'Scuse me Lady, where can I find some fanny packs?"

I was absolutely mortified, went bright red and wanted the ground to swallow me up. Someone I thought was a well mannered friend had just gone up to a complete stranger and used such derogatory language towards her!

To my complete surprise, the Store Clerk didn't bat an eyelid and directed us to the aisle where we could find 'fanny packs'. My friend sensing that I was in a bit of shock asked me what was up. I told him that I couldn't believe he'd gone up to lady store worker and used the word "fanny". It was then it was explained to me that the word "fanny" in the USA has a totally different meaning, and meant English "bum"...

And "bum" means something different too! We use to describe an #######/ ###, they use it to describe a tramp. So many UK/ USA words are spelt exactly the same yet have different meanings. With all my trips to the USA I am now bi-lingual - UK English and USA English!

I made the mistake of telling my husband's mates to kiss my fanny on a night out. A couple of evenings later I made the mistake of telling a friend's mother that I was out of breath from chugging (my drink). Pants are also not the same. My mother in law looked at me strangely when I told her before a day trip that I'd spilled #### all over my pants and need time to change. I've wanted to die many times over. Really.

This is brilliant.

I've not had anything like these yet, apart from the fact that no one can ever understand me, especially when I spell out something...

It's literally like they think I'm talking gibberish.

I said to a few friends the other day though that I had to buy a swimming costume... That sent their heads rolling.

I die at swimming costume. I. Die.

My husband (the Brit) was recently looking around our new house to check for outdoor outlets. I didn't think too much of it (other than thinking all houses have these) until he commented how it was good there was one in front and one in back for the lawn mower. I was SO confused. Apparently electric/plug-in lawn mowers are the norm in England. I've asked around, and it seems we do have them in the states (or used to at least), but I've certainly never seen one! Our realtor/friend was over and had the same reaction. Sometimes you just don't know what you don't know I guess!

Our first time to mow the lawn my husband looked for the plugs too.

K-1:

I-129F sent to Dallas Lockbox: 20/09/2013

USPS delivery confirmation: 23/09/2013

Check cashed: 26/09/2013

NOA1 email: 26/09/2013

NOA1 hardcopy: 28/09/2013

Alien Registration Number: 18/10/2013

NOA2 email: 29/10/2013

NOA2 hardcopy: 31/10/2013

TSC ships to NVC: 12/11/2013

NVC received: 15/11/2013

NVC left: 22/11/2013

London received: 25/11/2013

CEAC marked as "Ready" 02/12/2013

'Packet 3' received: 18/12/2013

DS-2001 emailed: 02/01/2014

Medical: 13/01/2014

Medical logged: 16/01/2014

Interview scheduled (CEAC update called DoS): 23/01/2014

Interview: 20/02/2014...APPROVED!!!

CEAC case creation date changed: 21/02/2014

CEAC changed to Administrative Processing 21/02/2014

CEAC changed to Issued: 24/02/2014

DX delivered visa package: 27/02/2014

Entered US: 05/05/2014

Married: 04/07/2014

NOA1-NOA2 = 33 days

AOS:

Filed: 22/07/14

NOA1: 27/07/14

Biometrics: 02/09/14

EAD/AP:16/09/14

NPIW letter: 02/01/15

RFE for new medical: 21/05/2015

RFE mailed: 15/06/2015

AOS approved: 23/07/2015

Welcome Notice rec'd: 25/07/2015

Green Card rc'd: 24/08/2015

NOA1-NOA2 = 364 DAYS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I always think of chugging as charity mugging, but it can also mean loading up with alcohol.

I have comes across chuggers here but seems much less common.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I always think of chugging as charity mugging, but it can also mean loading up with alcohol.

I have comes across chuggers here but seems much less common.

There's loads or those people around. I tell them I'm a tourist and don't have a US bank account, another advantage of the accent ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Being born and bred in South East London, certain phrases and pronunciations of words are often greeted with strange and quizzacal looks.

For instance, I once asked for a bottle of water. With my accent, the "t's" in that very simple request become obsolete, meaning it sounds like I'm asking for a "Bo ill of war-err". I now often asked if I want a bottle by my fiancées family, much to their hilarity.

However, my most embarrassing moment would be when I first met her mother. Again, with my accent, a "H" at the start of a word is often silent. "Hillbilly" become "illbilly", "Hello" becomes "Ello", "House" becomes "Ouse" and so on. Say it quickly and "Ouse" becomes "a$$".

You should have seen everyone's faces when I complimented her mother on her beautiful a$s.

Edited by JoeyKeano

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Pizza Hut (I think) had a Meat Tossers Pizza on the menu. One day I had to order a few pizzas for work. The poor guy on the other end of the phone couldn't understand why I burst out laughing when I said meat #######.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Pizza Hut (I think) had a Meat Tossers Pizza on the menu. One day I had to order a few pizzas for work. The poor guy on the other end of the phone couldn't understand why I burst out laughing when I said meat #######.

I'm sure our yankee-doodle cousins would feel the same ordering spotted dick or faggots :) Edited by MacUK

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.