bilo86

Immediate Help.. Oath Ceremony Next week and Marital Status change

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

I'm still at loss why OP lied about his marital status at the interview. Not having a hardcopy of the marriage certificate yet is pretty lame explanation.

@OP: If you didn't have you birth certificate in hand, would you say you were not born yet?

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

During the interview, I doubt the IO didn't ask about any changes with regards to an applicants status or any changes right after filing. They are very thorough when it comes to going through the whole N-400 application form. Like what others have said, his change in marital status wouldn't have affected the outcome of his interview since the basis of it is 5 yr residency & not marriage to a USC. Why not make an infoPass to get this all straightened out. In his certificate of naturalization his marital status has to reflect that he is married. So when he files for a spousal petition for his new bride the date of marriage in his marriage certificate will not be in conflict with that of his naturalization certificate.

Filed: Timeline

She went over with me on the N400 during the interview. N i didnt lie I just didnt have marriage certificate and in my country you are not considered married until you have it registered the marriage with the court. I passed on this marriage issue thinking its really is irrelevant and I dont have my marriage registered in court yet. However when I received my Oath letter and it says you have to tell USCIS if your marital status change thats when I freaked out that I should have told the IO about my marriage but again if i would have told her i didnt have any legal document to proof my marriage.

Did anybody have their marital status change on the day of Oath Ceremony? I am going to a lawyer today to get a legal advice on this issue. It is getting on my nerves now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Before the oath ceremony, you will be giving a form to complete. It asks you if there has been any changes in situation after your naturalization interview and one of the question is whether you've been married since the interview?So if you are worried, just check yes on that form and you will be fine. Congrat

Edited by kari81

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Before the oath ceremony, you will be giving a form to complete. It asks you if there has been any changes in situation after your naturalization interview and one of the question is whether you've been married since the interview?So if you are worried, just check yes on that form and you will be fine. Congrat

But he wasn't married between the interview and the oath ceremony...he was married BEFORE the interview.

I don't see how adding further lies to his situation could possibly help.

Timeline

She went over with me on the N400 during the interview. N i didnt lie I just didnt have marriage certificate and in my country you are not considered married until you have it registered the marriage with the court. I passed on this marriage issue thinking its really is irrelevant and I dont have my marriage registered in court yet. However when I received my Oath letter and it says you have to tell USCIS if your marital status change thats when I freaked out that I should have told the IO about my marriage but again if i would have told her i didnt have any legal document to proof my marriage.

Did anybody have their marital status change on the day of Oath Ceremony? I am going to a lawyer today to get a legal advice on this issue. It is getting on my nerves now.

What's done is done. What you can do is make an InfoPass with your local USCIS where you had your interview & explain everything to them. Bring your marriage certificate. Unless you talk to them directly, all this fretting about the issue is not going to be resolved.

Filed: Timeline

at the interview did they ever ask u if your single or married? if yes, did u lie and told them your single?

anyways no immigration officer will ever bother to talked to u during oath ceremony

...you just go there to do your oath taking nothing else.

anyhow i suggest to call USCIS ask how to update your marital status and be honest with them...goodluck!!!

The longer it takes to happen the more you'll appreciate it when it does!

Oh my goodness.

Just because most of the cases in this community revolve around marriage to a US citizen, doesn't mean that marriage is the only way to get a green card or to naturalize.

The OP has not been granted citizenship based upon marriage to a USC.

His marriage to someone from his own country has nothing to do with his naturalization!

For instance - my husband has never naturalized. He came here on a K1 and could have naturalized quite some time ago via his marriage to me. However, he just has never bothered. So now, he's been here over five years. If he chooses to naturalize, he would do so based upon the length of time he has been here legally. Our marriage would have nothing to do with his naturalization. True, the Service may query about a change in marital status so they can determine if there is a evidence via TOTALITY OF CIRCUMSTANCE of some sort of marriage fraud. But that is the only reason for the question.

It is not an OMG gotcha never tell a lie to immigration kind of moment - at least not for the OP. His original petition for citizenship was NOT based upon marriage to a USC!

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

Everyone who posted here knows that the OP's N-400 application is based on 5 yr residency. What we are trying to tell him is he has to inform USCIS about his change in marital status because when they print out his Certificate of Naturalization his marital status will reflect as SINGLE when in fact he is already married before his interview. Wouldn't it be better to have this straightened out now so when he files a petition for his wife his paper works are in order?

Everyone who posted here knows that the OP's N-400 application is based on 5 yr residency. What we are trying to tell him is he has to inform USCIS about his change in marital status because when they print out his Certificate of Naturalization his marital status will reflect as SINGLE when in fact he is already married before his interview. Wouldn't it be better to have this straightened out now so when he files a petition for his wife his paper works are in order?

You've got an excellent point.

Maybe I'm reading the thread wrong, but it seems to me most of the hoo-hah in the thread is about how the OP lied and all the big trouble he is about to get into (other people's perception).

He became legally married between the time he interviewed and the oath ceremony. Kari81 writes that before the ceremony, there is a form the alien must file to report any changes since the interview. If that is indeed the case (as I mentioned earlier my husband has never naturalized so I've no personal experience with the process) then filing the form honestly is the OP's best remedy. There is no need for an Infopass appointment or anything else.

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You've got an excellent point.

Maybe I'm reading the thread wrong, but it seems to me most of the hoo-hah in the thread is about how the OP lied and all the big trouble he is about to get into (other people's perception).

He became legally married between the time he interviewed and the oath ceremony. Kari81 writes that before the ceremony, there is a form the alien must file to report any changes since the interview. If that is indeed the case (as I mentioned earlier my husband has never naturalized so I've no personal experience with the process) then filing the form honestly is the OP's best remedy. There is no need for an Infopass appointment or anything else.

That's the thing. He was married BEFORE the interview, not after.

During the interview he should have had his marriage status changed from single to married, but instead he let the IO go through the whole form and signed off on it without bringing up this fact. He knew he was married on the date he signed the form that now says he was single on that date. While the marriage isn't a material fact that would determine his eligibility to naturalize, him not bringing it up at the interview and also signing off on incorrect information (single when actually married) could be construed as misrepresentation if left uncorrected.

All I think most people are suggesting is that the OP check with USCIS to see if they can update his form to reflect what his true marital status was at the time he signed it as it was accidentally overlooked before.

I personally don't feel the OP "lied", but I do think he should get it sorted out and clarified as soon as possible.

Edited by Jamericanlove

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

if the officer asked you about your martial status and you said single, then you lied under oath, they can deny you based on not having a good moral attributes . you had to disclose your spouse information, since you got married.

what to do now, you can book an info pass and inform them about your mistake, the worst case scenario they would delay your oath. most likely they could just update your form and that's it.

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had my interview a couple of weeks ago for Naturalization, and I specifically recall being asked if all the information given on my forms at the time of application was still correct. I know most people are asked that. So it would have for sure, been in their best interest to point out at that time, that they were married right?

I have my Oath ceremony form, and it does indeed state on the back questions about if your situation has changed since your interview. In my opinion, that is the last opportunity the OP has to clear the air, and set things straight.

Good luck though! Hope it all works out!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

What can be said about this issue when the paper trail already exists, ASSUMING the OP is going to petition for his wife. Will have to supply his certificate of citizenship and his marriage certificate that already specifies these dates. And will be noted his marriage did occured prior to him receiving his citizenship. If they check back on his N-400 that they keep on file, will quickly learn this error.

It's not the fact that he was married, wouldn't have made any difference with the five year that he was, but didn't give the truth about his marriage status. Can be good reason for deportation. Over such 5000 cases in court going on right now.

Only thing to do, is to come clean and see what happens. May want to get the advice of a very experienced and honest immigration attorney.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.