bilo86

Immediate Help.. Oath Ceremony Next week and Marital Status change

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi All,

Please help me out. I am really stressfull and need help. I came to US six years ago anf received my green card. My dad sponsored my family and that is how I came here. Last year in September I filed my N400. I was single at that time. I had my interview on April 2nd. Three weeks before my Interview I went to my country and got married on March 10 and flew back to states on March 11. I applied for marriage registration in my country before I came back to states. During my Interview I didnt tell IO that I got married because I didnt have any legal proof to show (And my marriage was not registered). I got my approval letter and invitation to oath ceremony a week after my interview. Now my concern is would disclosing my marital status at Oath Ceremony delays my N400. Can USCIS deny the application on the basis that I didnt told them during the interview? Will they deport me on the basis that I didnt tell them regarding mr marital status change?

I would really appreciate any help? Any body who is in the similiar situation as I am.

I would like to add one thing that I got my marriage registeration certificate after my N400 interview. On the certificate it states that my date of marriage is March 10 and It got registered on March 19. Please I need urgent help on this issue. I am really really freaking out. It was not intentional at all the IO didnt emphasize on my marital status and I didnt told her as I did not get my marriage certificate until after my interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I don't understand why you:

1) got married while in process of your n-400

2) got married when you already knew your interview date

3) got married in a foreign country then left the next day

4) got married then lied at your interview by not disclosing it.

Could you have potential problems? You bet. Will you have potential problems? Who knows. Your n-400 is based on you being here 5 years, not marriage. With that said, you lied at your interview about your marital status. That isn't looked upon very well SHOULD they find out.

I'm curious what others on here are going to say.

Application For Naturalization (N-400)

01/10/2013 - Packet Sent to Phoenix Lockbox

01/16/2013 - NOA & Check Cashed

02/06/2013 - Biometrics Appt

04/16/2013 - Interview - Approval Recommendation!

04/23/2013 - Placed in the Oath Ceremony Queue

05/16/2013 - Received letter showing Oath Ceremony date

06/12/2013 - Oath Ceremony

06/12/2013 - U.S. Citizen!

I didnt knew my interview date when I got married. We know each other for last one year and I really like her so we decided to get married. If i knew this would create problem I would not have gotten married. And I didnt had any intention to lie its just that I was in process of getting my marriage certificate registered and translated in english. My fiance send the certificate to me after it was regesitered and attested by designated authorities in my country. However i received it post my interview. I have no intention of lying or hiding my marriage. But becaue i didnt have my marriage certificate i didnt told IO which is so silly of me. I have no idea what to do. Anybody else who change their marital status on the day of oath ceremony? Is it a hassle? Do they ask a lot of questions?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I got married after sent my I 400. It's not a problem. I had my interview and was approved. I just don't understand why wouldn't you tell them about your marriage at interview? I did.

The OP isn't worried about getting married, he's worried about not disclosing it at his interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If I were you I would call USCIS and ask to speak to someone and ask what you should do. In fact if you remember the name of the office who interviewed you I would try to get a hold of them. I doubt anyone here can give you the right answer. I would write a letter stating exactly what you've said here as your reasoning for not disclosing the marriage at the interview. Attach a certified copy of the relevant document showing your marriage and see if there's some way you can have it added to your file and amended as soon as possible. I would also mark truthfully on the oath form that you are married and bring a copy of the marriage papers as well. As others have said before your green card wasn't marriage based so your marriage wouldn't have affected anything in the process, however you need to get on this now and get it cleared up because if they find out later it may cause problems for you.

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

@ Niagra... I didn't tell them because I got my marriage registration certificate after my interview. During the interview I didnt have anything with me to prof that I am married. Also the interview appointment letter did not mention that if ur marital status change you should bring the certificate. I got my wedding certificate after my interview and when I received the oath letter and saw a box regarding ur marital status change thats when i realized that I should have told her that I got married. During the interview IO asked me if I go to my country and I said yes but we didnt talk marriage and I dont emphasize it thinking that my marriage is in the process of registration and if i dont have marriage certificate it will cause further delays....

I will try to call USCIS office today and talk to them. Thanks a lot for all your help guys.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

bilo86, at your interview were ever asked if your marital status had changed since submitting the N-400? Are you saying that you just didn't mention it or are you saying that you lied to the IO?

If they didn't ask you if anything had changed then I don't see there being any problem, just make sure from now on that you tell the truth. Whether or not you have paperwork to prove your marriage is irrelevent. Are you married requires either a yes or no answer, it doesn't matter whether or not you can prove it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Has there ever been a case were at the interview the officer doesn't go through the n400 with the applicant and confirm the answers? Pretty sure that is standard procedure. There is a whole section on marriage/spouse. Not sure how that could have been "overlooked".

In addition, you are saying you got an interview notice less than 3 weeks prior to your interview?

Let us know how this works out....I'm still dumbfounded as to WHY WHY WHY on so many levels.

Application For Naturalization (N-400)

01/10/2013 - Packet Sent to Phoenix Lockbox

01/16/2013 - NOA & Check Cashed

02/06/2013 - Biometrics Appt

04/16/2013 - Interview - Approval Recommendation!

04/23/2013 - Placed in the Oath Ceremony Queue

05/16/2013 - Received letter showing Oath Ceremony date

06/12/2013 - Oath Ceremony

06/12/2013 - U.S. Citizen!

Marriage in your case is irrelevant. As long as you never misrepresented a material fact, no problem - Material as in being relevant to the decision in your case, which since you filed for citizenship based on five years of continuous permanent residency, your marriage status is immaterial.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Marriage is not going to affect in your case as it is not based on the marriage. You will not have problem getting your citizenship.

I would suggest you to call USCIS and be honest and tell them to update your status as married for your citizenship application.

Even if it delays a month (Which I don't think) it will be worth it when you apply for your wifes immigration. You will need the Citizenship certificate to file I 130 petition for your wife and you wouldn't want them to read single on the citizenship certificate while your marriage certificate saying married.

Best of luck. Be honest and it will work out.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I really don't see why the OP so worried, they not gonna interview you at the ceremony ......all they will ask you for is idea and take your green card...that what they did at mine ...why should you go calling them to discuss marriage leave it as it is ....is simple as that

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I really don't see why the OP so worried, they not gonna interview you at the ceremony ......all they will ask you for is idea and take your green card...that what they did at mine ...why should you go calling them to discuss marriage leave it as it is ....is simple as that

It's not about discussing his marriage as that is irrelevant to his case. The problem is that when he went to the interview he was married and never disclosed this which he is required to just as he would need to disclosed if he had traveled between filing and the interview, or changed jobs, or moved.

It shouldn't be a big issue based on the fact that he didn't receive his green card through marriage but he should inform USCIS and have everything squared away before his oath ceremony to stay on the safe side. If they say it doesn't matter and to just mark it on the form at the oath at least the OP knows that he's fine going forward. To not make the effort and later have it impact things negatively is a risk most wouldn't be willing to take.

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.