Mary Kreutz

Affidavit of Support: Joint Sponsor on K-1 Visa?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey : )

So this question just came up because my fiancé and I were certain that we could. But I just read on other posts that joint sponsors are not accepted by every consulate (what exactly does that mean, or rather how do I find out which ones do?) and then others that say joint sponsors are only accepted in special cases(ok so what is that supposed to mean now) and at last that joint sponsors are pretty much never accepted.

People advise to just try to file the affidavit without the joint sponsor and just try to make it on our own, which is, I'm sorry but absolutely not helpful, because if we thought it goes through, well then we wouldn't need a joint sponsor in the first place. Or the advise to just get a better paid job, well that doesn't help me either.

It's not like my fiancé has no income, but his work is seasonal and well, he doesn't make a fortune. He is 20, so am I, therefore his assets are limite and I highly doubt his support form goes through.

His mom is our joint sponsor, she absolutely matches the requirements, but i'm just really really worried now. I'm a German citizen and would go the consulate in Frankfurt.

Can anyone help me at all? Give me any advise on this? Any experience, please, everything is appreciated : )

Yes, the acceptance of co-sponsors and/or self-sponsors for the I-134 can vary by consulate. You should fill in your profile and choose Germany for your country so it gets the attention of those who have experience going through that consulate. Once the petition reaches the consulate stage, what's accepted -- or not -- can vary greatly. Good luck!

So this question just came up because my fiancé and I were certain that we could. But I just read on other posts that joint sponsors are not accepted by every consulate (what exactly does that mean, or rather how do I find out which ones do?) and then others that say joint sponsors are only accepted in special cases(ok so what is that supposed to mean now) and at last that joint sponsors are pretty much never accepted.

People advise to just try to file the affidavit without the joint sponsor and just try to make it on our own, which is, I'm sorry but absolutely not helpful, because if we thought it goes through, well then we wouldn't need a joint sponsor in the first place. Or the advise to just get a better paid job, well that doesn't help me either.

It's not like my fiancé has no income, but his work is seasonal and well, he doesn't make a fortune. He is 20, so am I, therefore his assets are limite and I highly doubt his support form goes through.

His mom is our joint sponsor, she absolutely matches the requirements, but i'm just really really worried now. I'm a German citizen and would go the consulate in Frankfurt.

Can anyone help me at all? Give me any advise on this? Any experience, please, everything is appreciated : )

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Nearly all consulates will allow a financial cosponsor for either fiance or spousal visa processing. A notable exception is the U.S. consulate in Manila who will not currently allow a financial cosponsor for fiance visa processing. In Manila, you must qualify on your own or your fiance will be denied the fiance visa. A financial cosponsor is allowed for all marriage visa processing by rule as well as for stateside adjustment of status to become a permanent resident green card holder.

Here is a video about the process, in the comments the questions is asked about a co-sponsor in Germany and the response was yes you can use one. Click where it says youtube and it will take you to the page.

Edited by reese1

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

So then it will most likely be accepted? Just reassuring, reading the last was a great relief!

According to your country, Germany, yes it will be accepted. Both your fiancé and cosponsor will have to fill in I-134 form.

For fiance visa processing, USC fiance must have stable earnings more than the base income level set by the HHS and is based on the total number of dependents of USC and USC's fiance. In your case, using a financial cosponsor, all cosponsor dependents must be counted.

2012 Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia

Persons in

family/household. Fiance Visa Marriage Visa

1 $11,170 $13,963

2 15,130 18,913

3 19,090 23,863

4. 23,050. 28,813

5. 27,010. 33,763

6. 30,970. 38,713

7. 34,930. 43,663

8. 38,890. 48,613

For more than 8, add $3,960 for a fiance visa and $4,950 for a marriage visa.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Have the USC contact the embassy in Germany to ask for info about the subject. What is done in other countries has nothing to do with yours. If they say they wont accept co sponsors you should consider marrige and then file for the C R 1 type visa where they are accepted.

Nearly all consulates will allow a financial cosponsor for either fiance or spousal visa processing. A notable exception is the U.S. consulate in Manila who will not currently allow a financial cosponsor for fiance visa processing. In Manila, you must qualify on your own or your fiance will be denied the fiance visa. A financial cosponsor is allowed for all marriage visa processing by rule as well as for stateside adjustment of status to become a permanent resident green card holder.

It's not that it's not currently allowed, Manila is just a bit strict. There are good amount of successful stories here with co-sponsorships. They'll review it in a case-to-case basis.

**Petitioners in fiancé(e) (K1) nonimmigrant visa cases are generally expected to provide the adequacy of their own financial resources to ensure that an alien, after admission into the United States, will not become primarily dependent on the US Government for subsistence. While our immigration law does not disallow joint sponsorships for K nonimmigrant visa applicants, the mere submission of an I-134 Affidavit of Support from joint sponsors is not sufficient to establish that the alien is not likely to become a public charge. Accordingly, we make a thorough evaluation of other factors, such as the sponsor's motives in submitting the Form I-134, the sponsor's relationship to the applicant or petitioner, the length of time the sponsor and applicant have known each other, etc. An I-134 Affidavit of Support submitted by a casual friend or distant relative who has little or no personal knowledge of the applicant has limited value. Unlike the I-864 filed by joint sponsors in immigrant visa cases, the I-134 is not legally binding and imposes no legal obligation on the joint sponsor to make good on his or her promises. Please be assured that we look at the totality of circumstances in assessing the credibility of joint sponsorships.

Good luck!

Edited by Tintin and Mike

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It's not impossible to use a joint sponsor at any consulate, including Manila. It's just that some are known to be more difficult (sometimes much more difficult) than others.

There are a few others besides Manila that are known to be reluctant to accept joint sponsors, including Bangkok (Thailand), Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam), Guangzhou (China), Casablanca (Morocco), and Lagos (Nigeria). These are also known to be difficult consulates, in general, to get a fiancee or spousal visa. This doesn't mean that every joint sponsor will be denied at these consulates - all of them have been known to make exceptions. This also doesn't mean that your joint sponsor will definitely be accepted if your fiancee isn't interviewing at one of the above consulates. Every case is unique, and anytime the consular officer has discretion (the I-134 is one of those times) then you can expect them to use that discretion.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.