ecce

would a government shutdown also close US consulates?

37 posts in this topic

With all due respect, I was just looking for information about a possible shutdown. Not opinions.

That was not an opinion, it's a known fact....Everyone who goes thru this immigration process is told up front...Never make plans until actual visa is in hand. YOU could be put in AP for a whole year.....

This would be an opinion, you haven't done enough fact checking about the immigration process, but I didn't state that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

YOU could be put in AP for a whole year.....

This would be an opinion, you haven't done enough fact checking about the immigration process, but I didn't state that.

I sure could. Thanks so much for reminding me. I forgot for a second.

It's obviously been a long time since you were separated from your loved one. Your statements are unnecessary. I'm chalking them up to the fact that perhaps you don't remember what it's like in the final weeks of waiting for your NOA2. Signing off for the night...

09/02/10 Mailed I-129F

09/07/10 NOA1

03/17/11 NOA2 approved

06/06/11 Interview. Visa approved. Told we'll get visa in 7-10 days. Lies.

07/12/11 Visa in hand

07/15/11 Arrival in the U.S.

07/21/11 Marriage

07/28/11 Mailed I-485

08/03/11 NOA for I-485

08/29/11 Biometrics

10/17/11 Greencard interview. Approved.

I sure could. Thanks so much for reminding me. I forgot for a second.

It's obviously been a long time since you were separated from your loved one. Your statements are unnecessary. I'm chalking them up to the fact that perhaps you don't remember what it's like in the final weeks of waiting for your NOA2. Signing off for the night...

Oh no I haven't forgotten that why I am trying to save you some heartaches and headaches, but you can/shall do as you please. Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

oh c'mon.. we know we shouldn't make plans, but everyone does! if you are having a proper ceremony, there's no way it could come together by the 90 day deadline! sure, maybe some people really are doing everything at the last minute... but i would imagine that if you are on visa journey and going through this process, then you are one of the think-ahead, planning types. we have no choice but to make plans.. sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.. but there's no reason chastise anyone for trying to get all the information they can so that they can have at least some idea of time frames! we are here to support each other, not step on each other, once we have made it successfully through this process. i have been seeing a lot of stepping on other people lately and it is driving me crazy. i imagine that to all of the veterans, we newbies seem like blubbering idiots.. but no one was born knowing everything about the immigration process! we are all blubbering idiots at one time or another...

1-129f sent: 08-21-2010

NOA1: 08-30-2010

NOA2: 01-20-2011 (OMG! that darn dot finally moved!!!! just under 5 months later...)

NOA2 hard copy received: 01-27-2011 (and called NVC to get case number)

Case received by consulate: 01-28-2011

Packet 3 sent by embassy: 02-03-2011 (received hard copy 02-11)

Packet 3 returned to embassy: 02-10-2011 (logged by embassy 2-24)

Medical: 02-11-2011 (results received by embassy 2-16)

Received interview date over the phone: 02-28-11

Packet 4 sent by embassy: 02-28-11 (received hard copy 3-5)

Interview: 03-15-11 APPROVED!!! (visa received 3-18)

POE: 03-30-11 ~ Marriage: 04-06-11

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

oh c'mon.. we know we shouldn't make plans, but everyone does! if you are having a proper ceremony, there's no way it could come together by the 90 day deadline! sure, maybe some people really are doing everything at the last minute... but i would imagine that if you are on visa journey and going through this process, then you are one of the think-ahead, planning types. we have no choice but to make plans.. sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.. but there's no reason chastise anyone for trying to get all the information they can so that they can have at least some idea of time frames! we are here to support each other, not step on each other, once we have made it successfully through this process. i have been seeing a lot of stepping on other people lately and it is driving me crazy. i imagine that to all of the veterans, we newbies seem like blubbering idiots.. but no one was born knowing everything about the immigration process! we are all blubbering idiots at one time or another...

I do get a kick out of how the Brits always know what's "proper". If the government shuts down because they don't have a budget, that's a shame in many ways for all who are inconvenienced. Certain adjustments need to be made when dealing with immigration matters. Some of them may feel "improper". That's how the cookie crumbles. We've all been through it and understand the emotion.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I do get a kick out of how the Brits always know what's "proper". If the government shuts down because they don't have a budget, that's a shame in many ways for all who are inconvenienced. Certain adjustments need to be made when dealing with immigration matters. Some of them may feel "improper". That's how the cookie crumbles. We've all been through it and understand the emotion.

i'm not sure what you are trying to say... but i can tell you that i am american and am planning on having a marriage "ceremony" that is as far from "proper" as you can get. my british fiance and i have a plan that he will arrive on april 1st and we will get married on wednesday, april 6th (wednesdays are the only day the courthouse conducts marriages). it will not be the end of the world if something changes this. he would have to pay through the nose to re-book his flight, sure, but that is a risk we take for trying to make a plan. we are planning because we want to be together as soon as possible. of course you make some sort of a plan, why wouldn't you? and if something unexpected occurs, you adapt.

i'm just trying to convey that anyone who is doing more than the courthouse thing needs to do quite a bit more planning than that.. and as you can see, even we, minimalist marriage as it is, have something of a plan. maybe there are a handful of people on this site who waited to book a flight until they had their visa in hand.. after i complete this process, it would be so easy for me to say to someone don't plan anything until you have your visa! but i know that realistically that is very difficult to do. so, i will help them work through the issues instead of throwing stones

NOA2: 01-20-2011 (OMG! that darn dot finally moved!!!! just under 5 months later...)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

i'm not sure what you are trying to say... but i can tell you that i am american and am planning on having a marriage "ceremony" that is as far from "proper" as you can get. my british fiance and i have a plan that he will arrive on april 1st and we will get married on wednesday, april 6th (wednesdays are the only day the courthouse conducts marriages). it will not be the end of the world if something changes this. he would have to pay through the nose to re-book his flight, sure, but that is a risk we take for trying to make a plan. we are planning because we want to be together as soon as possible. of course you make some sort of a plan, why wouldn't you? and if something unexpected occurs, you adapt.

i'm just trying to convey that anyone who is doing more than the courthouse thing needs to do quite a bit more planning than that.. and as you can see, even we, minimalist marriage as it is, have something of a plan. maybe there are a handful of people on this site who waited to book a flight until they had their visa in hand.. after i complete this process, it would be so easy for me to say to someone don't plan anything until you have your visa! but i know that realistically that is very difficult to do. so, i will help them work through the issues instead of throwing stones

Could not agree more Meredith......and yes i am British, just in case anyone in particular was wondering :)

10/30/2010 FIELD I-129F
11/09/2010 NOA1
11/30/2010 TOUCHED
12/29/2010 TOUCHED
03/15/2011 TOUCHED
03/15/2011 NOA2 APPROVED
04/04/2011 NVC RECEIVED
04/12/2011 LEFT NVC
04/15/2011 CONSULATE RECEIVED
04/23/2011 PACKET 3 RECEIVED
04/25/2011 PACKET 3 SENT
05/24/2011 PACKET 4 RECEIVED
06/07/2011 INTERVIEW DATE smile.png
06/07/2011 APPROVED WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO smile.png)))
06/17/2011 ENTERED THE UNITED STATES
10/12/2011 BIOMETRICS
10/21/2011 WORK AUTHORIZATION AND ADVANCE PAROLE RECEIVED
11/21/2011 AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED smile.png))))))))

10/21/2013 I-751 PACKAGE SENT

10/28/2013 NOA1 RECEIVED 1 YEAR EXTENSION

11/1/2013 BIO-METRICS APPOINTMENT RECEIVED FOR 11/19/2013

02/24/2014 I-751 APPROVED. RECEIVED GREEN CARD IN POST dancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gif

Ecce, the government won't shut down. I think this little bandaid shows that it won't happen, although people are happy to prod along bit by bit to make it seem possible. It's all a game of political chicken. I know there are a lot of unknowns out there, but I wouldn't count on this being one of them. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Embassies and Consulates will not shut down even in a government shut down. The President by executive order can keep certain departments of the government operating regardless, one of which is the diplomatic corp.

Other obvious ones are homeland security, FBI, etc.

Anything to do with security and protection of citizens abroad does not close down.

Many people here think an Embassy or Consulate is strictly there for VISA or relations with another country, when the actual function is to help American Citizens abroad.

Timeline

Embassies and Consulates will not shut down even in a government shut down. The President by executive order can keep certain departments of the government operating regardless, one of which is the diplomatic corp.

Other obvious ones are homeland security, FBI, etc.

Anything to do with security and protection of citizens abroad does not close down.

Many people here think an Embassy or Consulate is strictly there for VISA or relations with another country, when the actual function is to help American Citizens abroad.

makes perfect sense! this is great information... thanks so much for that!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_shutdo.html

good description of what would be affected.

I-129F Fiance Visa

For full details see my "About me"

USCIS

11-22-2010 Received NOA1 01-27-2011 --> NOA2 *APPROVED!!!! (email)

NVC

02-24-2011 Receive Packet 3.5 via email --> 03-18-2011 Packet 3.5 Submitted

04-05-2011 Receive Packet 4

04-08-2011 INTERVIEW *APPROVED!!!!* --> 04-18-2011 Visa in hand

05-04-2011 **POE** JFK, NYC

AOS

05-21-2011 Social Security Card

06-18-2011 MARRIED!

07-11-2011 Filed AOS - 485, EAD, AP

07-13-2011 Received Confirmation email 07-14-2011 check cashed

07-18-2011 NOA1, I-797C received for AOS, EAD, AP

07-22-2011 Received Biometrics Appointment Notice

08-15-2011 Biometrics Appointment

09-09-2011 EAD and AP Approval notices via email

09-20-2011 Receive EAD/AP Card in the mail

09-29-2011 Interview! APPROVED!!!!

10-03-2011 Receive Welcome Letter

10-08-2011 Receive Greencard

Timeline

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_shutdo.html

good description of what would be affected.

this is not good news... from the website posted:

"While the diplomatic and security aspects of the Department of State (DOS) operations would continue, visa applications would likely not be processed in the event of a shutdown. It is anticipated that the consulates will not be open for visa appointments and processing. Thus, depending upon the duration of such an event, individuals could be stranded abroad with no way of obtaining required travel documents. The same is true for the processing of U.S. passports. "

But for those of you still in the USCIS.. you're okay:

"The USCIS is expected to continue to adjudicate benefits applications and petitions. This is possible because these operations are funded by the filing fees that are submitted with the various applications and petitions. "

I know the threat of a government shutdown has been postponed...but only for 2 weeks! If I can get my NOA2 and clear the NVC by March 18, am I in the clear?

it will never happen. They will just keep it running two weeks at a time until the budget is agreed apon.

it will never happen. They will just keep it running two weeks at a time until the budget is agreed apon.

I think you're right. These threats happen from time to time, but in many instances nothing much comes of them. All the same COME ON PACK 4!!!!

Question: If your visa is approved before the shutdown, would it have to be mailed before the shut down to arrive? Or would you just have to wait even after paying?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.