Lewis K

"i-864 Important Notice instructions"...?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions on details that aren't very clear to me:

I received a letter from the NVC requesting more supporting documents for my i-864. It says "make sure that the documents submitted are in the correct order and stapled together, as stated in the I-864 Important Notice instructions." What are the "I-864 Important Notice instructions" and where can I find them? I have searched all over the internet for this.

It also says they need me to "complete and submit a new form with the changes noted on the attached checklist". What do they mean by "with the changes noted on the attached checklist"? Should the changes be noted on the form or on the checklist, and how should the changes be noted?

Am I just being overly meticulous with their instructions? Before getting this request for more documents I thought I was being real meticulous with the packet I originally sent, but since that wasn't good enough I don't know what to think! :wacko:

Thanks

Lewis

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

What was your RFE for?

Respond to the RFE as required. Stick on the barcoded cover sheet.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

I believe it on the payment portal page. If you look at your page for tha AOS payment, there will be a link that leads the the travel.state.gov site. It will have a place to download the I-864 and other information and instruction. FWIW, I never stapled mine and just put it in the most logical order for me. Of course the NVC never really processed my stuff (was expedited).

Give it a look through this page: https://ceac.state.gov/CTRAC/Invoice/signon.aspx

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

The USCIS website includes "special instructions" for the I-864, but I couldn't find any "Important Notice Instructions" either. Did you include your own cover letter (behind the NVC Document Cover sheet, of course) listing all of the enclosed forms and documents; and then did you include all of the documents listed in the order mentioned in your cover letter? Also, were there actually some supporting documents that were not included with your I-864 submission, i.e. employment verification letter, pay stubs for past 6 months, tax transcripts for 2006-2008? If something was missing, focus on that. I mean, the NVC isssues these form letters and they all pretty much say the same thing, including 'friendly reminders' about how to submit that sometimes cause more confusion. Unbelievable, the USCIS does not want anything stapled or attached together and prefers 2-holes punched at the top with the original petition, but the NVC DOES want documents stapled. (stupid)

Here's to families being together sooner,

KayaEel

Timeline:

06-29-2008: Met in person

07-01-2009: Wedding Date (1 year after meeting & multiple trips to visit)

09-01-2009: Civil (Legal) Marriage Date

12-05-2009: I-130 Sent

02-25-2010: I-130 NOA2 Date

06-04-2010: Case Completed at NVC (Sign-in Failed)

08-02-2010: Interview at Consulate & VISA APPROVED!!

08-14-2010: POE in Houston, TX

07-09-2012: Filed I-751 Petition for Removal of Conditions

07-11-2012: NOA Date (Extended Green Card for one year)

08-16-2012: Biometrics Appointment

03-07-2013: Approved

03-22-2013: 10-year Green card arrived.

10-06-2022: Filed to renew 10-year Green card. No biometrics required.

10-19-2022: 10-year Green card arrived.

01-20-2023: Filed N-400 Application for Naturalization. NOA receipt and no biometrics required.

Timeline

Thanks KayaEel and Scott & Mhay for your replies! I've gone through pretty much everything and can't find any information about the proper order of documents. There are lists of documents and it's logical they should be in that order, so I'll just try to be logical about it. Anyway it's hard to imagine they'd reject a case because of the order of documents. It is easy to get carried away with this stuff, though you never know what people can find problems with. Some of the documents they're requesting do seem a bit excessive, I already sent proof I'm a US citizen (that's part of why my i-130 was approved), already sent what I thought was proof of US domicile, what I thought was an explanation for why I was exempt for filing taxes, what I thought was my wife's valid passport (her passport renewal page is separate from the bio-data page, which probably caused the confusion), but I got asked for all these things again. After calling the NVC they basically said I should send these things again and be as clear as possible, but I already thought I was being as clear as possible..

BTW I did the two hole thing for the NVC instead of staples and at least got no complaints from them on that!:=)

Thanks again

Lewis

Timeline

Sorry, one more question, they say they need the i-864 submitted again. Does this mean I have to include the i-864 coversheet again? The RFE letter had its own barcode, and I wouldn't like sending two barcodes. What do they need sent again? I assume they only need the documents listed in the RFE letter and that I don't have to send again things not listed, or... ??

Lewis

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Sorry, one more question, they say they need the i-864 submitted again. Does this mean I have to include the i-864 coversheet again? The RFE letter had its own barcode, and I wouldn't like sending two barcodes. What do they need sent again? I assume they only need the documents listed in the RFE letter and that I don't have to send again things not listed, or... ??

Lewis

Use the most recent cover sheet. Your tax return or transcript pages should be in the proper order, as should the pages of the affidavit itself. Forget USCIS on this one NVC, part of the Dept. of State is processing your I-864. Use THEIR instructions.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

There is SLIGHT POSSIBILITY that this is actually a false RFE.

CALL NVC on Monday, and inquire about it.

There's been some internal issues at NVC in March and April, with things not getting reviewed in a timely fashion, then an RFE being automatically issued.

IF IT IS A TRUE RFE - and if it's for the I-864 -

If it's as you say, that you did not have to file taxes - then you still need to be able to prove up yer income. If you lived overseas and took advantange of the exemption, for NVC/I-864 purposes, you still need to FILE taxes (even showing the exemption amount). But that's just one example - if yer particular case on income is something else, entirely, then you should include a letter of attestation as to WHY you are exempt from paying taxes - keep it down to 1 page.

FWIW - a 'true RFE' comes to you as a I-797-C formletter, so be sure the thing you've received is an I-797-C, or NOT.

Good Luck, however it turns out.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

There is SLIGHT POSSIBILITY that this is actually a false RFE.

CALL NVC on Monday, and inquire about it.

There's been some internal issues at NVC in March and April, with things not getting reviewed in a timely fashion, then an RFE being automatically issued.

IF IT IS A TRUE RFE - and if it's for the I-864 -

If it's as you say, that you did not have to file taxes - then you still need to be able to prove up yer income. If you lived overseas and took advantange of the exemption, for NVC/I-864 purposes, you still need to FILE taxes (even showing the exemption amount). But that's just one example - if yer particular case on income is something else, entirely, then you should include a letter of attestation as to WHY you are exempt from paying taxes - keep it down to 1 page.

FWIW - a 'true RFE' comes to you as a I-797-C formletter, so be sure the thing you've received is an I-797-C, or NOT.

Good Luck, however it turns out.

I-797C is a USCIS document. This case is at the NVC. RFE is not really a valid term for NVC and they certainly don't use USCIS forms. If something is missing at NVC, you get a "Checklist Cover Letter" and yes, sometimes those are sent for things they don't know they already have. This one sounds like something was actually requested and needed though as they refer to changes noted on the checklist.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks for all the responses! Yes, I don't think it's a false checklist letter (sorry for calling it an rfe) and even if it were I already talked to the NVC people on the phone and they just said it's probably best to play it safe and send things again with clear explanations. It is weird that they themselves seemed to be outside of the loop, unsure of what exactly they needed or why I was asked for certain things, but I'll do what they say. They did say that it wasn't necessary for me to prove I'm a US citizen again. In fact, on my checklist sheet, which was addressed to me, it said "You, the joint sponsor, have not provided...etc" which seems in itself an error since I am not the joint sponsor.

Thanks

Lewis

Thanks for all the responses! Yes, I don't think it's a false checklist letter (sorry for calling it an rfe) and even if it were I already talked to the NVC people on the phone and they just said it's probably best to play it safe and send things again with clear explanations. It is weird that they themselves seemed to be outside of the loop, unsure of what exactly they needed or why I was asked for certain things, but I'll do what they say. They did say that it wasn't necessary for me to prove I'm a US citizen again. In fact, on my checklist sheet, which was addressed to me, it said "You, the joint sponsor, have not provided...etc" which seems in itself an error since I am not the joint sponsor.

Thanks

Lewis

You are dealing with people that answer the phone, and don't review the information. If you are in doubt, call and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Wait for the detailed email RFE to come in.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.