Su Nguyen

Take care my mom

30 posts in this topic

Timeline

My parents have divorced since i was a kid, and my mom went to US with my grandpa . Now my dad is gone . And my mom just told me that she got lung cancer.though we dont talk or keep in touch much, but I want to fulfil my duty as a son that to take care of her . May i ask that wether i can go to the Us for couple months to do that , and then return  to Vietnam ?

How is the healthcare for cancer in Vietnam?

Possible reunite with her in Vietnam to provide for her throughout her ordeal?

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
10 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

How is the healthcare for cancer in Vietnam?

Possible reunite with her in Vietnam to provide for her throughout her ordeal?

Its terrible, and costs lots of money . I already suggested her but she said the health care in Us is much better and the insurance can cover the expense . On the other hand, insurance in Vn is no more than a blank paper, only cover flue and cold

Edited by Su Nguyen

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

Sorry about your mom.

Your only option is applying for a tourist visa.  Qualifying for a tourist visa will depend on your strong ties to Vietnam.

Strong ties mean i must have a job, family and garuante that i will return Vietnam after visa expires ?

Filed: Timeline

No such thing as a guarantee.  You can not guarantee that you will return to Vietnam.  The US Consulate does not accept guarantees. 

Strong ties means the reasons that you are likely to return to VN after a visit.  Your job and family in Vietnam is only part of the considerations.  Google "strong ties to home country."

Here is the sad news, you are unlikely to get a tourist visa to come to the US unless you have a good job and a family in Vietnam.  If you are young, single, and have an average job in Vietnam, you are unlikely to get a tourist visa.  The US Consulate will also want to know what kind of job would allow you to spend months in the US.  

Sorry.

Edited by Jojo92122

You are unlikely to get a tourist visa.  Unlikely does not mean no.  It could be 90% no and maybe 10% yes (numbers are not real - just examples).

If you want to apply, it's only $160.  

If you don't apply, your chances are zero.

If you apply, you have at least a chance even if it's a small chance.

3 minutes ago, Su Nguyen said:

Im single , 22 , working at receptionist and tourguide .

Unfortunately, that doesn't bode well for you. It is pretty unlikely for an approval on a tourist visa, especially with a tie to the US (your mom).

But the only risk in trying is the application fee. Good luck!

And yes, you cannot work while in the US. You can support your mom emotionally and such, but you cannot act as a nurse or in-home assistant or anything else that a US employee would do as part of their job.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Did your mom ever become a citizen?

Maybe she can petition for you. It will take a few years but the end result is that you can be reunited with her and, as you said, "fulfill your duty" and take care of her during this ordeal.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
Just now, NuestraUnion said:

Maybe she can petition for you. It will take a few years but the end result is that you can be reunited with her and, as you said, "fulfill your duty" and take care of her during this ordeal.

Yes. She is. Petition mean i will move to us and become citizen ?

Just now, NuestraUnion said:

It's not a few years.  OP is 22.  If mom petitions him now, it would take at least 7 years in either the F1 or F2b categories.  This would not be a solution to his immediate need to be here now to care for his mother.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.