maghfira

credit card score!

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

Hi everybody, is it good to build a credit card score? Why? Sorry but I never had credit card before to understand these things, I'm not added to none of my husband's credit card, am almost 1 year resident in usa, not working yet taking care of my new born son, is it important to be added? His credit must be good to not be infected if it's not?

Thanks a lot for your help

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Building credit in the United States is very beneficial.

Those with higher credit scores get lower interest rates for homes and cars which saves you a lot of money in interest.

Since you are married and your husband has credit it may not be as critical for you, but in my opinion it would be beneficial to you both if you also established credit and maintained a high credit score.

RobbieG,

Dallas, TX

event.png

Timeline

Thank you for your answer,I want to be added to one of My husband credit card ,do I need just to be authorized user to his credit account to build my Credit Score (Same LIKE HIS score)? or I need to be "joint" card holder to have credit score?

What about if his credit score goes very bad, in this case if my name added to his account should i be charged paying bills on his credit ?

Thanks your help is much appreciated

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I agree with RobbieG. Just about everything in the united states revolves around credit, and having a good score is very helpful. Get a credit card that will track your FICO score and provide it to you for free. I have gotten Mong one, using our household income (mine), but had requested a low credit limit because she needs to understand this also.

Timeline

I agree with RobbieG. Just about everything in the united states revolves around credit, and having a good score is very helpful. Get a credit card that will track your FICO score and provide it to you for free. I have gotten Mong one, using our household income (mine), but had requested a low credit limit because she needs to understand this also.

yes i agree , thanks for answer

hopefully somebody help answering few questions in this post this will help me and help the others

i asked a few questions in my above post , sorry i may be asking stupid questions i should know their answers years ago while i was little girl :(, but we are learning in this life

thanks

Try to get added on your husbands credit card. Get some bills in your name. Maybe a small (easy to pay) loan. It sounds silly but that's how you build up credit.

Credit is pretty important in the states. Pretty much everything is based on your credit score. How high your interest will be on your mortgage or loans. Even getting a mobile plan is based on your credit score.

It's the chicken and the egg story you have to have credit to build up credit. Since your husband is already established i would ask him to get on his credit card or be your "sponsor" for a loan so you can build credit yourself.

I was lucky and could get a car loan with my job and after 6 months of working i got enough credit build to get my first credit card. It's the quickest way to build up your credit score but don't get any late payments because it also is the quickest way to lower in as well.

Timeline

Try to get added on your husbands credit card. Get some bills in your name. Maybe a small (easy to pay) loan. It sounds silly but that's how you build up credit.

Credit is pretty important in the states. Pretty much everything is based on your credit score. How high your interest will be on your mortgage or loans. Even getting a mobile plan is based on your credit score.

It's the chicken and the egg story you have to have credit to build up credit. Since your husband is already established i would ask him to get on his credit card or be your "sponsor" for a loan so you can build credit yourself.

I was lucky and could get a car loan with my job and after 6 months of working i got enough credit build to get my first credit card. It's the quickest way to build up your credit score but don't get any late payments because it also is the quickest way to lower in as well.

happy for you, you could get a car loan , with enough credit build and paying in time there will be no problem. it will be more easier for me to build my own credit when i will start working, i do manage my things and like to pay in time

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I don't think an authorized user can build credit. They are just allowed to use the account of the account holder.

Authorized users can use a credit card just like the account holder, but the credit is only in the account holders name.

I would look into a joint credit card or a small loan as someone else suggested.

RobbieG,

Dallas, TX

event.png

what ability the authorized user has in the credit card account? what can do and not?

please if somebody know the answer i really appreciated it

I added my husband as an authorized user to a few of my credit cards. He got a credit score that way. I don't really know how that works, but I know when he decided to look himself up on the free credit report website, he had a report and listing of the cards where he was only a user. When he went to T-mobile to switch from a pay as you go, to a regular account for himself they looked up his credit. He asked the guy if it was good and he said it came back the best rating. That wasn't a FICO score, but I guess some ratingT-mobile goes by. He called it an A-rating and the best.

Another reason you should get your name added to an account is because you will have to remove conditions on your 2 year greencard. Bills, leases, bank accounts, and credit cards in both names are common evidence to support your application.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

what ability the authorized user has in the credit card account? what can do and not?

please if somebody know the answer i really appreciated it

You can build your credit score as an authorized user. I added my husband to my two major banking credit cards and less than 6 months he has an established a strong credit score. As the others have said, having your own credit score in the US is essential.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The best way to build credit scores, is go to the bank your husband deals with. Get a "secured credit card" for 200.00 or 300.00 dollars, (you put up cash to secure the card) but use the 'line of credit' to buy things, and pay it off quickly, like groceries, gas, etc.

Gradually increase your amount. In about 8 months, of very good payment history, you will have a decent credit score. Worked for my wife.

The best way to build credit scores, is go to the bank your husband deals with. Get a "secured credit card" for 200.00 or 300.00 dollars, (you put up cash to secure the card) but use the 'line of credit' to buy things, and pay it off quickly, like groceries, gas, etc.

Gradually increase your amount. In about 8 months, of very good payment history, you will have a decent credit score. Worked for my wife.

What do you mean gradually increase the amount? The amount being spent using the card? Or the cash secured amount? And since it is cash secured getting it (as a k1 visa holder) won't be an issue?

Any specific companies you recommend?

Edited by NYjones

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's worth noting that when you are trying to build credit on a 'pre-paid' or Secured credit card, that you never go near the credit limit - treat the card as a credit score builder, pay it off in full every month, and always spend less than 50% of the card limit.

After a year you will have a nice score.

Word of warning - try and get the secured card through your bank, don't touch the 'you have been approved' cards that come through the door, as every application whether approved or otherwise will also show up, and your bank if you have a good balance and secure the 200 - 300 is a sure thing :)

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Please review the following thread for all information you need:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/496946-building-credit-score-tips-tricks/

• Want to transfer money from abroad to a US account? Or do you want to transfer money from your US account to your foreign loved one? Use TransferWise for rates MUCH lower than banks! Click HERE to TRANSFER MONEY internationally CHEAP!
  • You have some bad remarks on your credit report, and want to clean it up by the time your loved one comes to the US? Use a reputable Credit Repair company. Fortress Credit Pro has a money back guarantee AND only charges you for entries that are actually removed! Click here to enroll for Credit Repair

(Disclosure: The links to TransferWise and FortressPro are affiliate links, and their use can accumulate in benefits for me. Using the links does offer a discount to you by using them over enrolling through the main website, unless any promotions are run by the company)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.