TeamKplusA

Long form/Short form birth certificate for packet 3/4

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello!

Me and my fiancée are waiting for our applications arrival at the consulate in Montreal and we are starting to get all the paperwork together for packet 3 and 4.

My question is for both packet 3, 4 and our interview do we both need to provide a long form birth certificate? I submitted a short form with the I-129F application and it was accepted with no issues.

Thank you!

The beneficiary needs to provide their long form. The I-134 won't require another proof of citizenship unless you have a co-sponsor (and then only from the co-sponsor, not from the petitioner.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

The beneficiary needs to provide their long form. The I-134 won't require another proof of citizenship unless you have a co-sponsor (and then only from the co-sponsor, not from the petitioner.)

But we don't need a co-sponsor so does that mean the beneficiary still requires a long form?

But we don't need a co-sponsor so does that mean the beneficiary still requires a long form?

Yes. Beneficiary ALWAYS is required to get the long form.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The long form. I just had my interview last week and that was exactly what she was looking for. The original long form plus a copy of it, front and back.

I know, but we know this because for the immigrant visa it specifically says long form.

Timeline

So my next question is: what form is it that my fiancée actually needs? Canada doesn't exactly have long and short forms like the US does. They have what's called "Birth Certificate with Personal Information and Parentage" and "Photocopy of a Registration of Birth" which is a copy of the actual registration that the mother filed out when the child was born. Just want to make sure we get the right form so we have no issues!

Timeline

Current new birth certificates are all long form, I might be wrong but I don't think they give out short form anymore. Head to the nearest registry agent with a bunch of your ID and request a new birth certificate, you'll receive it within a couple of weeks. It will have the names of your parents on it and it's made of a polymer/plastic similar to Canadian dollar bills.

It will look just like this when you get it, regardless of province. I'm from Alberta and mine looked identical except it had the Alberta logo on it instead:

https://shawglobalnews.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/front1.jpg?quality=70&strip=all

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

For ontario you get the one with parentage.

Long form = with parents names

Short form = no parents names

Just like each state is a little different, each province is as well. Vital statistics is by province first. So some provinces definitely give short form bc.

Edited by NikLR

Timeline

So my next question is: what form is it that my fiancée actually needs? Canada doesn't exactly have long and short forms like the US does. They have what's called "Birth Certificate with Personal Information and Parentage" and "Photocopy of a Registration of Birth" which is a copy of the actual registration that the mother filed out when the child was born. Just want to make sure we get the right form so we have no issues!

They must have changed it recently. Before you were only able to get a copy of the birth registration.

Looks like they are still doing th short form and long form has not changed. You want the certified copy of the birth registration.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-or-replace-ontario-birth-certificate#section-4

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.