AJMUK

Possible to switch to Adjustment of Status while file is at the NVC? (split topic)

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

Im not sure if this needs to be moved to a different board or not - I wasn’t sure where to post it. I need some advice and some input.

The story in a nutshell - i-130 was filed September 2013. NOA1 and NOA2 received and all fine. Case sent to NVC.

I sent in the Affidavit of Support form around a month ago, and a few days ago I received an email from NVC to tell me that I’d basically screwed the form up. I hadn’t filled it in properly, so I received an RFE by email. Thats not a major problem, I just need to fill it in again and send it to them.

However…

This whole ridiculously long and over-complicated process has taken its toll on us both. Just like it has for many of you, its been horribly stressful and annoying, and although we’ve been dealing with it together, we’ve also been dealing with it apart, as I’m in the US and my other half is living in the UK. So all in all, its been very stressful, and I know you can identify with that.

Here’s the thing though. My other half is now with me in the US. She arrived a few days ago and she’s here for 3 weeks, which is great. She’s not due to go back to the UK until mid July.

However, after talking a lot face to face, its become very clear that neither of us are handling this very well on our own, and we don’t want to be parted any more.

As such, we want to change from consular processing to adjustment of status.

She entered the US legally using the visa waiver programme, and she had no intention of staying in the US until I suggested it.

Now, I’m going to call the NVC on Monday to ask how we can do this, because right now, I don’t even know if such a thing is possible.

So until Monday comes around, I wanted to ask all of you if you’ve ever heard of anyone changing from consular processing to adjustment of status, and if so, how the hell do we do it?

I know adjustment of status is more expensive, but to be honest, I don’t really care. I want this process to be over with, and I don’t want us to be separated any more.

So, thats basically my question. Have you heard of anyone changing from CP to AOS, and if so, how? (oops, thats 2 questions!). I’ve looked on the internet, and I can see one post on this very site which asks more or less the same question(s) I’m asking, but there wasn’t really a definitive reply.

Im happy to jump through more of America’s rings of fire to get this process completed, but I’m not prepared for us to go through the rest of this journey on two different sides of the Atlantic. Now that she’s here, I plan on her being here until she gets a green card.

It has always been difficult for us to spend time apart, but it wasn’t until she arrived on this trip that I realised just how difficult its been. When I suggested we go down the AOS route rather than the CP route, she was overjoyed.

The only real source of information I can find is on the following link, but its difficult to read and it doesn’t make an awful lot of sense to me. It looks as if its saying that Visa Waiver entrants who are immediate relatives can apply for adjustment of status - but is that possible after going half way through the consular processing route?

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/nativedocuments/2013-1114_AOS_VWP_Entrants_PM_Effective.pdf

As I said, I will call both NVC and USCIS on Monday, but until then, your input would be great. Thanks a lot as always.

Hi everyone.

Im not sure if this needs to be moved to a different board or not - I wasnt sure where to post it. I need some advice and some input.

The story in a nutshell - i-130 was filed September 2013. NOA1 and NOA2 received and all fine. Case sent to NVC.

I sent in the Affidavit of Support form around a month ago, and a few days ago I received an email from NVC to tell me that Id basically screwed the form up. I hadnt filled it in properly, so I received an RFE by email. Thats not a major problem, I just need to fill it in again and send it to them.

However

This whole ridiculously long and over-complicated process has taken its toll on us both. Just like it has for many of you, its been horribly stressful and annoying, and although weve been dealing with it together, weve also been dealing with it apart, as Im in the US and my other half is living in the UK. So all in all, its been very stressful, and I know you can identify with that.

Heres the thing though. My other half is now with me in the US. She arrived a few days ago and shes here for 3 weeks, which is great. Shes not due to go back to the UK until mid July.

However, after talking a lot face to face, its become very clear that neither of us are handling this very well on our own, and we dont want to be parted any more.

As such, we want to change from consular processing to adjustment of status.

She entered the US legally using the visa waiver programme, and she had no intention of staying in the US until I suggested it.

Now, Im going to call the NVC on Monday to ask how we can do this, because right now, I dont even know if such a thing is possible.

So until Monday comes around, I wanted to ask all of you if youve ever heard of anyone changing from consular processing to adjustment of status, and if so, how the hell do we do it?

I know adjustment of status is more expensive, but to be honest, I dont really care. I want this process to be over with, and I dont want us to be separated any more.

So, thats basically my question. Have you heard of anyone changing from CP to AOS, and if so, how? (oops, thats 2 questions!). Ive looked on the internet, and I can see one post on this very site which asks more or less the same question(s) Im asking, but there wasnt really a definitive reply.

Im happy to jump through more of Americas rings of fire to get this process completed, but Im not prepared for us to go through the rest of this journey on two different sides of the Atlantic. Now that shes here, I plan on her being here until she gets a green card.

It has always been difficult for us to spend time apart, but it wasnt until she arrived on this trip that I realised just how difficult its been. When I suggested we go down the AOS route rather than the CP route, she was overjoyed.

The only real source of information I can find is on the following link, but its difficult to read and it doesnt make an awful lot of sense to me. It looks as if its saying that Visa Waiver entrants who are immediate relatives can apply for adjustment of status - but is that possible after going half way through the consular processing route?

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/nativedocuments/2013-1114_AOS_VWP_Entrants_PM_Effective.pdf

As I said, I will call both NVC and USCIS on Monday, but until then, your input would be great. Thanks a lot as always.

If you're going to go down the road of adjusting status, I think you'd be best hiring a lawyer, too. Adjusting status on a VWP while it is legal, can be risky. With the case currently at NVC, your wife is intending to immigrate and the current petition is proof of that. When someone travels on to the US on VWP, they're saying they will not adjust status. It's a catch 22.

With the Affidavit of Support documents, when you send in the corrected form, it will take about 20-30 days, which by that point your Immigrant Visa documents should have already been approved. Have those already been sent in? London schedules interviews about 6 weeks from case completion (case complete at NVC before July 15 & you should get August interview).

I'm no expert in this matter, and I think the NVC thread may be the best place to post this scenario as you will likely get better and more accurate advice. :-)

5/21/2016: Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

5/23/2016: NOA1

7/29/2016: Biometrics Appointment

11/22/2016: I-751 Approved!

oprahbees.gif

Yup, I hear what you're saying (and thanks for saying it!).

My gut feeling is that given the link I posted above, they do expect that some spouses will enter the US using visa waiver, and once they're in the country, they decide they want to stay, otherwise they wouldn't have created the 'you can't adjust status on a visa waiver - unless you're an immediate relative' rule.

I know it's wishful thinking, but I'm hoping they'd see that because we are already so far down the NVC route,we aren't trying to do anything dodgy. I agree it's a catch 22, and I can see how it might 'look' dodgy, but it would look a whole lot dodgier if we'd done this a year ago, before jumping through all the hoops we've already jumped through. Also, in reality, as they very rarely take action against immediate relatives who overstay on a VWP, why would they get the hump with people who are obviously trying to go through the correct channels?

(I'm just thinking aloud)

You're right, I should probably post this in the NVC board but I'm worried now about getting too many conflicting pieces of advice, because that will make me even more confused than I already am :-/

I've just had enough of the whole process. We both have. We have been together for 17 years and we just want to stay together now that we are physically together.

:(

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Posts split into separate thread as question is a unique set of circumstances. This is also the forum to discuss such issues, not the monthly NVC thread.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Okay so the fact you had a return flight for your wife's visit is definitely a point in your favour because although they may be suspicious it's still evidence she was planning to return. I think calling the NVC is a good idea and hopefully they can give you good news. But incase it isn't what you want to hear you are legally allowed to stay 90 days maximum on VWP so perhaps you could extent her visit then she can return to the UK for a week or so to do the interview finish everything off then come back on the visa. There should be a date where they stamped her passport when she entered on the VWP and that's the date the 90 days is up and she would have to return to the UK unless you have something sorted out. Hope that helps :)

You can do it, no need for a lawyer. But, it is much more expensive (add in $1070 and a medical exam).

If you have a problem with the I-864, then you will have the same problem and can be denied.

Your choice. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I switched from a CR-1 to AOS when our file went to NVC, and I had no issues. I was in the US on a B-2 visa.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

I switched it also, my case was at NVC I came visit my husband an didn't want to leave, I came here on wvp. We called NVC to send all documents to uscis and explained it. The money you paid for NVC are gone. If you send all paperwork your wife can have travel and working visa in 3 months and tha wits for green card. At the interview I was never asked why or how I came here.also if there are no big red flags or troubles I don't think you need lawyer.

Edited by teanet

• 3 years later...
On 6/23/2014 at 12:46 PM, ValerieA said:

I switched from a CR-1 to AOS when our file went to NVC, and I had no issues. I was in the US on a B-2 visa.

Hi! I need your advice. My file was at NVC. I came to visit my husband on a tourist visa and changed our mind to adjustment of status. My interview is this month. Can you please suggest what questions i might get asked about switching from consolute to adjustment of status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2014 is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.