fun

tips on best way to get my boyfriend tourist visa to U.S.

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My boyfriend is going to apply for a U.S. tourist visa this month and I would like advise on the best way to have the best chance of it being approved. I have been told that if he tells the interviewer that he has a girlfriend in the U.S. he will be denied for sure. Is this true? I've also heard that its almost impossible to get a tourist visa to U.S. unless you have a really good job and property etc.

We have been together for 3years. I lived in Turkey for 2 1/2 years and we rented a house together and his name is also on the rental agreement. I came back this Christmas to see family but there was a family situation and I stayed longer. I am planning to return to Turkey after summer but I want him to see my country and my culture.

What is the best way for him to get a tourist visa? Should he just say that hes going on vacation and not mention a girlfriend? He has a job but not good job, all his family is in Turkey but his family doesn't have money. Would that be considered strong enough ties to return? Also should he show money in the bank, don't want them thinking that he has a lot of money to go and stay in the U,S.

I really want him to be able to come...anyone done this before or have any advice? Would I have a better chance if an attorney was hired for this or do they even have attorneys for tourist visas...,,.I know they do for fiancee visas.

Any advise on the best route appreciated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

what country will the tourist visa interview be in,

and

what country was your boyfriend born in ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The basic factor to qualify for a B2/visitor visa is strong ties to home country. Your boyfriend must demonstrate and convince the Consular Officer that he intends to return home after visiting the US. The US Consulate/Embassy will definitely look at your boyfriend's occupation, property, any liability that ties him to his home country, financial stability, and so forth. Preferably, he must have a job that pays decent salary (above minimum wage) with medical benefit and future prospect. That is like the first requirement that he must meet. Showing bank statements is important to show that he has the ability to pay for his trip but that cannot be considered as "tie" to home country.

You are correct that if he reveals his relationship to you, a US citizen, then chances are he will be found ineligible for a non-immigrant visa.

Based on the information that you provided, it seems very unlikely that your boyfriend will qualify for a tourist visa. Perhaps consider filing for a K1/fiancé visa if you meet the requirements for it. However, the process of obtaining a K1 visa will take months so that might not be ideal for your situation.

Good luck!

Edited by vegasbound

Timeline after visa approval

Immigrant fee paid on ELIS - Jan 24th

POE - Jan 25th

Update on GC and SSN

(as of March 14th, 2014)

ELIS status - Closed (Card produced)

USCIS case check with receipt number (starts with IOE) - Card delivered in the mail

SSN - Received (Went to SSA location to apply for one)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 Naturalization Process

N-400 package mailed in - Nov 7th

Payment posted on cc account - Nov 10th

NOA (hard copy) - Nov 14th

Biometrics - Dec 7th

In Line - Dec 27th

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My boyfriend is going to apply for a U.S. tourist visa this month and I would like advise on the best way to have the best chance of it being approved. I have been told that if he tells the interviewer that he has a girlfriend in the U.S. he will be denied for sure. Is this true? I've also heard that its almost impossible to get a tourist visa to U.S. unless you have a really good job and property etc.

We have been together for 3years. I lived in Turkey for 2 1/2 years and we rented a house together and his name is also on the rental agreement. I came back this Christmas to see family but there was a family situation and I stayed longer. I am planning to return to Turkey after summer but I want him to see my country and my culture.

What is the best way for him to get a tourist visa? Should he just say that hes going on vacation and not mention a girlfriend? He has a job but not good job, all his family is in Turkey but his family doesn't have money. Would that be considered strong enough ties to return? Also should he show money in the bank, don't want them thinking that he has a lot of money to go and stay in the U,S.

I really want him to be able to come...anyone done this before or have any advice? Would I have a better chance if an attorney was hired for this or do they even have attorneys for tourist visas...,,.I know they do for fiancee visas.

Any advise on the best route appreciated.

His best chance would be in totally understanding what it takes to be granted a tourist visa. All of this relationship and background will sever to ensure he wont get this visa.

This application is about how he will PROVE beyond a doubt that he must return. If he cant do exactly that he will be wasting his time and money. It must consist of something that compels him to return. Not a job for example because he could always get a different one. Money in a bank is easily moved.

There is no need for a lawyer because they cant do anything he couldn't do for himself. Same for any visa including a K 1 type.

My advise in this case is to save the money and plan on seeing him in Turkey.

I guess it is very vague about what are ties to his country. It doesn't really spell out specifically what is acceptable and what is not. This makes the whole process seem unpredictable and basically up to the interviewers mood.

What will convince them he will return? Can someone give me some examples? Has anyone gone through this process before successfully?

Would it be better to explain the situation and that I will be returning to live with him or will any connection to me, being a U.S. citizen disqualify him? I can get him a fiancee visa but need to be with him now. I've already been gone longer than anticipated.

We have documentation that I lived with him in turkey for 2 1/2 years. I've had plenty of time to get him a fiancee visa or just marry and go back but that wasn't what we wanted. Shouldn't that alone convince the interviewer that if it was really about going and staying we've had plenty of time for other more lasting options, It's not like I met him on a 1 week vacation. I lived with him in his country, we have a rental agreement in both our names. I have a Turkish residence visa. To me it seems as though this shows that we have chosen to live in turkey and have had 3 years now to marry or get a fiancee visa if it was only about him coming to the U.S. But maybe they look at things differently...I don't know.

You/he won't have an opportunity to show all that. The interview sometimes is 30 seconds; they're not going to go through your life story.

The decision will be based on his application and the overall impression he gives the interviewer. That means he should be clean-cut, professional, and confident.

Generally young people travelling alone are very risky. He would be better served going with a school group, etc. that has a set program.

Doesn't hurt to try, but given the rate of denials in Turkey, I find it unlikely.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I guess it is very vague about what are ties to his country. It doesn't really spell out specifically what is acceptable and what is not. This makes the whole process seem unpredictable and basically up to the interviewers mood.

What will convince them he will return? Can someone give me some examples? Has anyone gone through this process before successfully?

Would it be better to explain the situation and that I will be returning to live with him or will any connection to me, being a U.S. citizen disqualify him? I can get him a fiancee visa but need to be with him now. I've already been gone longer than anticipated.

We have documentation that I lived with him in turkey for 2 1/2 years. I've had plenty of time to get him a fiancee visa or just marry and go back but that wasn't what we wanted. Shouldn't that alone convince the interviewer that if it was really about going and staying we've had plenty of time for other more lasting options, It's not like I met him on a 1 week vacation. I lived with him in his country, we have a rental agreement in both our names. I have a Turkish residence visa. To me it seems as though this shows that we have chosen to live in turkey and have had 3 years now to marry or get a fiancee visa if it was only about him coming to the U.S. But maybe they look at things differently...I don't know.

If you keep making this about you he has zero chance. It isn't about the interviewers mood at all. Its about him being in a position to prove he must return. There must be absolutely no question about his return.

If during your time in Turkey you wanted to marry you could have done a DCF filing to get him a C R 1 type visa. However I have to assume you weren't ready for that at that time.

You both have to keep in mind that USCIS views all people with any type of visa as intending immigrants. This is why its so difficult to obtain these visas. This is how they look at these things because that's what the rules are.

Additionally even if he is granted the visa it is at the POE where he is really allowed entry and the time he can stay is set. People can and are turned away at that point.

What can he do? Fill out the form and hope he gets a chance to tell them some of the things you have said here about why he wants to go and the plans for his future. That will be the truth and that will have to do. Let the case be decided on its merits as they all are.

Timeline

Did you check the Tourist Visa section online at that US Embassy ? I note it doesn't contain much,

but

The US Embassy BeiJing gives a comprehensive FAQ section over at

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/niv_faq/vir2.html#strict

and it's the same rules.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

"Ties" can be in many different forms. The reason that there isn't a list of things that you can show to establish ties with home country is because every case is unique and therefore having a spelled out set of requirements will NOT work for everyone.

In your case, I think some of the earlier comments have clearly pointed out some of the things that your boyfriend need to show to be eligible for a tourist visa. I think you are choosing to conveniently ignore them because of your strong intention to have your boyfriend visit you in the US.

They do look at things differently. Most of the Consular Officers will not analyze a case that thoroughly within the few minutes of interview. They act upon the intent of the applicant and nature of the visa that is being requested. Since you are applying for a tourist visa, then your boyfriend needs to make a strong case that he is only going to visit and return home. The best way to do that is to show that he has something to come home for - a good job, or business, property, other responsibilities that are applicable to your boyfriend's current situation.

Any mention of your relationship will only hurt your boyfriend's chances of getting a tourist visa. Your explanation about your relationship and justification as to why your boyfriend should receive a tourist visa may sound plausible to many of us but not to a Consular Officer. He/she will look at that and say "Ok, you are in a long term relationship with a US citizen and you qualify to apply for the fiancé visa - NOT a tourist visa." It may sound idiosyncratic but that's how they operate. Always pick the right visa.

Timeline after visa approval

Immigrant fee paid on ELIS - Jan 24th

POE - Jan 25th

Update on GC and SSN

(as of March 14th, 2014)

ELIS status - Closed (Card produced)

USCIS case check with receipt number (starts with IOE) - Card delivered in the mail

SSN - Received (Went to SSA location to apply for one)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 Naturalization Process

N-400 package mailed in - Nov 7th

Payment posted on cc account - Nov 10th

NOA (hard copy) - Nov 14th

Biometrics - Dec 7th

In Line - Dec 27th

Ok so not mention me. If he were to enroll in an English course here would that make his chance better having a reason to come?

I know he owns some land im not sure if its in his name or his family's, all his family is in Turkey, his jobs not so great that's the bad thing. I guess I sound redundant because I like ABCD type applications and this one is like a mystery to me. It doesn't give set guidelines for example you must have a job paying 22.000TL yearly or own x amount of dollars in property etc. I noticed even the fiancee visa is a more defined application.

I haven't looked at the tourist application. Does it ask for info such as assets, employer and income etc? If the whole process is only a few minutes how do they verify and determine which people are eligible for a visa and which aren't? He speaks English pretty good too, if that helps at all.

It's just a shame that it has to be so difficult. I think it would be pretty hard for most people in Turkey to be able to purchase an expensive ticket to fly across the world, then have the money to have a place to stay and survive without family and friends, then try to find work when most don't speak much English and wouldn't even know where to start since the countries are so different. I just can't imagine that this policy is blocking an enormous amount of people who plan to come and stay. The ones that have girlfriends and boyfriends can get fiancee visas, so it just delays things and makes it difficult for the ones who will most likely end up coming anyways.

Ok so not mention me. If he were to enroll in an English course here would that make his chance better having a reason to come?

I know he owns some land im not sure if its in his name or his family's, all his family is in Turkey, his jobs not so great that's the bad thing. I guess I sound redundant because I like ABCD type applications and this one is like a mystery to me. It doesn't give set guidelines for example you must have a job paying 22.000TL yearly or own x amount of dollars in property etc. I noticed even the fiancee visa is a more defined application.

I haven't looked at the tourist application. Does it ask for info such as assets, employer and income etc? If the whole process is only a few minutes how do they verify and determine which people are eligible for a visa and which aren't? He speaks English pretty good too, if that helps at all.

It's just a shame that it has to be so difficult. I think it would be pretty hard for most people in Turkey to be able to purchase an expensive ticket to fly across the world, then have the money to have a place to stay and survive without family and friends, then try to find work when most don't speak much English and wouldn't even know where to start since the countries are so different. I just can't imagine that this policy is blocking an enormous amount of people who plan to come and stay. The ones that have girlfriends and boyfriends can get fiancee visas, so it just delays things and makes it difficult for the ones who will most likely end up coming anyways.

Timeline

at least review the page in the links I referenced in post #8, aye?

The requirements aren't specific because if there was a set limit for everything, it would be very easy to fake. You'd be very surprised what people would do to get to the US, and how easy it is to get fake property documents, bank statements, etc. And, yes, the policy does prevent intending immigrants from coming in mass quantities.

It would likely be easier for him to get an F1 or J1 for short or long term study, but the same requirement about ties applies. There's a lot of money and paperwork involved too.

The K1 does not have this issue because it is for people intending to permanently reside in the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Consulates aren't looking for his reasons to go to the US, Consulates are looking for his reasons to return home. Focus on that

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

In most places that require people to get visitors visas it is very hard for young single people to get visas. They lack ties to home. They want someone leaving a spouse and children with a good job. They probably will ask him if he has a girlfriend, and you should never lie to immigration. When young single adults file for a tourist visa the assumption is they are trying to come to the US to marry. Until they close off the loophole that will remain the assumption and cause almost everyone to be denied.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.