Anderall

adjustment from VWP and overstay?

15 posts in this topic

Hello all!

My wife and I married spur off the moment while she was visiting on the VWP. I am curious as to what will happen with AP and if she leaves when she tries to enter again will she have a ban?

Facts -

- Married in June

- Sending AOS next week pending some documents being sent from her home country.

- Wife out of status as of July the 9th.

- Wife wants to visit her home country in late December for Christmas.

- Wife will have been out of status since July 9 to December 15 AND then out of the country.from December 15-28.

Will she have any problems with getting back into the US if she has AP? She will potentially be out of status for nearly 6 months while AOS is pending.

Thank you all for your help!

Edited by Anderall

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like she will not have a ban but best not to risk it until she has GC to hand.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Sounds like she will not have a ban but best not to risk it until she has GC to hand.

Could you explain why she probably wont or why she may (please excuse my ignorance). Her family has already purchased her ticket to return and she really wants to spend Christmas in her home country.

I don't think she will have her GC by December. Is that likely?

Edited by Anderall

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Some of these cases, AOS from tourist visas, aren't always taking forever. Depends on the local office, if it's backlogged or not. You'll definitely have an interview though.

Even with AP, your wife may be refused entry since she has overstayed her visa/VWP and it's up to the CBP officer whether or not to let her enter the US because she has an overstay. Better bring AP and NOAs with her when traveling. In very few cases, if AOS is denied while out of US, the AP becomes void and because of overstaying, she can't return to the US.

HOWEVER, submit your AOS while all supporting form, AP and EAD ASAP and hopefully you'll have AP in hand in 90 days or less. I would like to add that some people do not receive AP/EAD before their interview.

Am not trying to scare you but to have you understand that AOS from inside US may have its ups and downs with a pending AOS. I'm only mentioning the worst case scenario because you ask why it may or may not be a good idea to leave during AOS, even with AP in hand.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Does your overstay stop accruing once you file for AOS?

Is it really such a big risk leaving with AP?

I tried to look on the USCIS website for i485 processing times but it did not have the option for adjusting from a tourist visa so I couldn't get processing times. Can I call to enquire about processing times?

Should we wait and see and the cancel the ticket if we do not have the GC?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

No and yes - you're in a new period of authorized stay with a pending AOS - that's why it's possible to have AP/EAD approved.

Somewhat, every case is unique and while some have absolutely no issues entering the US, there are a few who have problems.

Well, you have to find your local office and see processing times for "Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status" - here; https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do

Might be just as good to upgrade to a flex(can't recall the correct name) where you can alter the departure/return date. Sometimes, the airline company is more willing to upgrade rather than refund.

Does your overstay stop accruing once you file for AOS?

I tried to look on the USCIS website for i485 processing times but it did not have the option for adjusting from a tourist visa so I couldn't get processing times. Can I call to enquire about processing times?

Should we wait and see and the cancel the ticket if we do not have the GC?

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Thanks we will look at the ticket. It would be such a shame if she misses seeing her family. :(

Our centre appears to have a 4 month i485 processing time so maybe we will get lucky and have the i485 approved by the time she is to leave, but I doubt it.

This is all paranoia. Your wife will be out of status from July 9 until the point the AOS is accepted for initial review. It sounds about one month overstay if you send in your AOS next week. A ban only kicks in at 180 days. She can travel with AP for Christmas.

I have never seen a problem with anyone on this board having problems returning on AP. In fact, I have seen the opposite, people that should have a ban or who have no status who are allowed back in. If the person had 5 months overstay I would say stay home, but one month is not something to worry about.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks we will look at the ticket. It would be such a shame if she misses seeing her family. :(

Our centre appears to have a 4 month i485 processing time so maybe we will get lucky and have the i485 approved by the time she is to leave, but I doubt it.

Late December is more than 4 months away. You might be cutting it close, but more than likely you'll be done by then. My local office says it has a 4 month processing time too, but I'm going to the interview today, 2.5 months after first filing.

Don't stress. But don't delay turning in your paperwork ASAP either.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

This is all paranoia. Your wife will be out of status from July 9 until the point the AOS is accepted for initial review. It sounds about one month overstay if you send in your AOS next week. A ban only kicks in at 180 days. She can travel with AP for Christmas.

I have never seen a problem with anyone on this board having problems returning on AP. In fact, I have seen the opposite, people that should have a ban or who have no status who are allowed back in. If the person had 5 months overstay I would say stay home, but one month is not something to worry about.

Now we are quite confused.

People say we will have 4 months of overstay.

Others say we will have 1 month.

Some say don't risk it.

Some say it's just paranoia and she will be fine...

Now I am sure everyone has good and valid points, I just wish we knew which was " more right" so we could have a game plan!

BTW: thank you so far everyone for your replies.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You do not want to miss the interview. I have seen people try and reschedule, nightmare.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Now we are quite confused.

People say we will have 4 months of overstay.

Others say we will have 1 month.

Some say don't risk it.

Some say it's just paranoia and she will be fine...

Now I am sure everyone has good and valid points, I just wish we knew which was " more right" so we could have a game plan!

BTW: thank you so far everyone for your replies.

Once her 90 days from VWP expires, she begins to accumulate overstay.

Once her AOS package is accepted for initial review, the overstay clock will stop and she will begin a new period of authorized stay.

From the dates you posted above (expire July 9 and plan to send in AOS next week) I count around a month of overstay.

A ban kicks in at 180 days of overstay. (Actually, there was a recent decision that the ban will not be in effect when using AP, but it is new, so I am going off of the "old" advice" to keep it simple.)

So one month of overstay is not 180 days of overstay.

She can use AP. The whole point of it is to travel while AOS is pending. I am against paranoia, so advising to not use something for its intended purpose makes no sense to me.

Don't miss the interview. You will get one month notice about it.

I could link you to various information from USCIS to prove I am right, but I don't care THAT much to take the time to do it :) You can assume the people who think you will have 4 months of overstay have no clue and you shouldn't listen to their advice. You are free to do what you wish.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Here is the direct link to the BIA decision on matter of Manohar Rao ARRABALLY in RE; use of AP while out of status -->>> http://www.justice.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/vol25/3748.pdf

In it BIA held that if AP is issued the person who traveled with it is not considered to have "departed" the US and thus not subject to inadmissibility specifically under 212(a)(9)(B))i)(II).

It's published on official government website (www.justice.gov/eoir) and sure carries a legal weight.

But, it's probably not codified in CFR yet (not sure, just guessing) and it's hard to predict what position will CBP, Courts and USCIS take on any other case that may be similar but in some way different from matter of ARRABALLY (different enough for any agency to take a position that it doesn't apply to it).

Since you will be less than 180 days out of status by the time you travel it may be argued that you shouldn't be worried at all.

However, as VWP beneficiary who applied for AOS you may have a ground of inadmissibility other than overstaying your visa , which I have no idea about because I am not very familiar with VWP and how it affects inadmissibility of overstayed and applied for AOS.

May be others here have more knowledge and expertise to advise you, but the safest route most immigrants take is

"do not travel unless you have your GC in hand".

Paranoid? Perhaps, but who wouldn't be when considering the immense complexity of regulations that you would need to spend years in school to fully comprehend.

Edited by asdfg

I-485/I-130 filed: January 26,2012 (130/485 sent to Chicago lockbox, transferred to MSC, field office Baltimore, MD).

I-130 Approved: June 25, 2012

I-485 RFE issued: June 25, 2012

Contacted offices of Honorable Senator Ben Cardin and Barbara Mikulski at the end of July.

I-485 DECISION MADE on August 03, 2012 , LESS THAN A WEEK AFTER CONTACTING THE SENATOR'S OFFICE TO INQUIRE ON CASE STATUS!

I-485 WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED IN MAIL: 08/08/12

Green Card in Mail: 08/11/12

I agree with Harpa. I didn't have overstay, but did travel with my AP actually more than once, and had no problems. I really do not believe that one month of overstay will cause any issues whatsoever - and it most certainly is not long enough to result in a ban.

Anderall - as Harpa said, the overstay clock stops when your AOS paperwork is received and accepted by USCIS. Your wife will not have 4 months of overstay, if you file soonish - she will have a month, roughly. Entrance to the US is never guaranteed to anyone who is not an American citizen, and AP does not guarantee re-entry, but I also have never read about anyone who would have been denied re-entry when using AP for traveling with a pending AOS.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I asked a similar question to this a little while ago and didn't get much of a response. I am still concerned and still not 100% sure what we will do :unsure:

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.