Angeli

Yellow envelope/visa packet received but with rips

12 posts in this topic

Hi! I just received my passport and the sealed yellow envelope. I was able to read the instructions that the plastic clear pouch can be opened to get the passport but should NOT open the yellow envelope. The yellow envelope is open on it's one corner in a diagonal cut and I believe it should be that way. But I noticed that the side is ripped and there's another cut that goes down but not all the way. I cannot fully assess the extent of the cut because of the immigrant data summary sheet blocking its view. The damage may be due to handling while in transit because the plastic pouch was loose and didn't hug tight the yellow envelope. Someone could've picked it up on it's side tearing the yellow envelope inside. So I only made a small cut of the plastic, clear pouch on the top, opposite to the ripped portion of the yellow envelope, just enough for my passport to slide through. Then I put scotch tape to make the plastic pouch tight hoping it would protect the yellow envelope inside from additional cuts.

Now my problem is, I am scheduled to leave on Monday. It's in the instructions that torns on the yellow envelope can cause significant delay at the port of entry. These are my questions:

1. Should I have it re-sealed? Chances are it should take a couple of days. What should I do?

2. Do people at the airport inspect the visa packet? As I had describe above, I kept tried to keep it intact as possible. I wanted to show at the POE that all I did was cut the small slit on top of the plastic pouch and I didn't try to tamper the yellow envelope. If the security will open the plastic pouch, then I couldn't defend myself at the POE anymore.

Any advice/insights is very much appreciated. I am so worried. :(

Edited by Angeli

What city did you have your Visa delivered to? That was very fast. How did you get it so quickly?

As far as the tear goes on the envelope, I suggest that you call the embassy and ask them and describe to them the extent of the tear. Anything after that is a guess and you are looking for facts. Sorry I can not help you more.

Congradulations on receiving your Visa. Our Visa is not in the 2go system yet.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi! I just received my passport and the sealed yellow envelope. I was able to read the instructions that the plastic clear pouch can be opened to get the passport but should NOT open the yellow envelope. The yellow envelope is open on it's one corner in a diagonal cut and I believe it should be that way. But I noticed that the side is ripped and there's another cut that goes down but not all the way. I cannot fully assess the extent of the cut because of the immigrant data summary sheet blocking its view. The damage may be due to handling while in transit because the plastic pouch was loose and didn't hug tight the yellow envelope. Someone could've picked it up on it's side tearing the yellow envelope inside. So I only made a small cut of the plastic, clear pouch on the top, opposite to the ripped portion of the yellow envelope, just enough for my passport to slide through. Then I put scotch tape to make the plastic pouch tight hoping it would protect the yellow envelope inside from additional cuts.

Now my problem is, I am scheduled to leave on Monday. It's in the instructions that torns on the yellow envelope can cause significant delay at the port of entry. These are my questions:

1. Should I have it re-sealed? Chances are it should take a couple of days. What should I do?

2. Do people at the airport inspect the visa packet? As I had describe above, I kept tried to keep it intact as possible. I wanted to show at the POE that all I did was cut the small slit on top of the plastic pouch and I didn't try to tamper the yellow envelope. If the security will open the plastic pouch, then I couldn't defend myself at the POE anymore.

Any advice/insights is very much appreciated. I am so worried. :(

Hello Angeli, i am very happy that you are going to travel on Monday, my opinion is that in the worst case scenario they will just delay you at the POE but nothing bad is gonna happen, My prayers are with, but what do u mean reseal it ? like sending it back to the embassy to reseal the package again ?

Find a job you love to do, and you will never work another day in your life.

us-eg.gif

What city did you have your Visa delivered to? That was very fast. How did you get it so quickly?

As far as the tear goes on the envelope, I suggest that you call the embassy and ask them and describe to them the extent of the tear. Anything after that is a guess and you are looking for facts. Sorry I can not help you more.

Congradulations on receiving your Visa. Our Visa is not in the 2go system yet.

I was surprised also but thankful that it didn't take very long but now I'm worried. Thanks for your input Tom. I will call the embassy tomorrow.

Hello Angeli, i am very happy that you are going to travel on Monday, my opinion is that in the worst case scenario they will just delay you at the POE but nothing bad is gonna happen, My prayers are with, but what do u mean reseal it ? like sending it back to the embassy to reseal the package again ?

Yes Sam, send it back to the embassy and have them transfer it to another sealed envelope and maybe I can just pick it up from them. I read old posts here on VJ that it can be done but it will take days or weeks. Not sure if it's possible in US Embassy in Manila though that's why I'm posting this in the Regional forum. Thanks Sam for your opinion.

I heard someone here said that there was a schedule of visa printing last 3/24/11, so all visa approval that day and prior was printed... and most of us received it tuesday. I guess it's all depends on the date of visa printing which is erratic, in my case, i waited for 8 days, in Angel's case... it's just 5 days.

As for Angel... I don't think you should worry... immigration officer should know whats the difference between tearing due to handling, and intentional tearing. Goodluck on your journey on Monday!!!

I heard someone here said that there was a schedule of visa printing last 3/24/11, so all visa approval that day and prior was printed... and most of us received it tuesday. I guess it's all depends on the date of visa printing which is erratic, in my case, i waited for 8 days, in Angel's case... it's just 5 days.

As for Angel... I don't think you should worry... immigration officer should know whats the difference between tearing due to handling, and intentional tearing. Goodluck on your journey on Monday!!!

I really hope so. I'm so tired of worrying already. As you can see in my timeline I had so many bumps I think I'm gonna burst if I failed on the very last step that is the POE. Thanks very much HarveyAndTheresa for your input. I don't feel that bad now. :)

i would suggest to call USEM to resealed your yellow envelope to avoid some delays in your POE specially when you encounter a "not in the mood" IO and give you a hard time :blush:

03.14.2011 -------I-751 sent overnight

03.15.2011 -------package says "Delivered"

03.30.2011 -------ASC Appointment Notice Received

04.22.2011 -------Biometrics Appointment

08.29.2011--------APPROVED! GC RECEIVED!

I'm the wife of an American Soldier;

I'm the hope that lives within him after storm clouded days.

The freedom from war that gives wings to his heart,

May they reach across the miles and bind our hearts together

against all that we must face in this world.

I agree with several that you should not worry. The POE is the only point of concern and they should be able to tell the difference between handling damage and you tampering witht the packet. Besides you already have your ticket and there is no time for it to go back to the embassy.

Good luck.

i would suggest to call USEM to resealed your yellow envelope to avoid some delays in your POE specially when you encounter a "not in the mood" IO and give you a hard time :blush:

Thank you for your opinion. I had been doing nonstop thinking about it and talked to my husband also and we both think that we didn't have much time to have it resealed because I am already scheduled to fly in 5 days. All I can do is just keeo the packet as secure and safe as not to cause more damage, be honest at the POE and pray.

I agree with several that you should not worry. The POE is the only point of concern and they should be able to tell the difference between handling damage and you tampering witht the packet. Besides you already have your ticket and there is no time for it to go back to the embassy.

Good luck.

You're right Tom. I have no control of this anymore so come what may. Besides, it's not me that is supposed to worry. It should be the courier or whoever ripped it :rofl: My husband and I had an overwhelming paperwork submitted to USCIS and NVC. The thin yellow envelope had a hard time withstanding the thickness and motion while in transit.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Thank you for your opinion. I had been doing nonstop thinking about it and talked to my husband also and we both think that we didn't have much time to have it resealed because I am already scheduled to fly in 5 days. All I can do is just keeo the packet as secure and safe as not to cause more damage, be honest at the POE and pray.

You're right Tom. I have no control of this anymore so come what may. Besides, it's not me that is supposed to worry. It should be the courier or whoever ripped it :rofl: My husband and I had an overwhelming paperwork submitted to USCIS and NVC. The thin yellow envelope had a hard time withstanding the thickness and motion while in transit.

Hello guys,

I m also having the same problem in the other hand.I got my visa on friday but i was working in the other city so they sent it to my house.I went to check my passport if my visa in it then i saw the yellow envelepo is already got a big cut off with the scissors then the package already opened all the way i called to the ups office i f they opened it they told me that we are not able to open it we just delivered it the way it we got..The officer told me maybe the package got damaged in the truck i think he is right bec it was so thick tight and heavy thats possible to happen

here is my packages pics

http://i51.tinypic.com/10fubdi.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/5vxhfk.jpg

tell me guys what to do ?all i can think is to contact with the embassy

here is my package pics

Tell me guys what i really need to do i m also so worried too

ROC

03/12/2013 - I-751 Package Mailed

03/14/2013 - Received NOA1

04/16/2013 - Biometrics App. Scheduled

• 8 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
On 3/30/2011 at 7:50 PM, Theresa0828 said:

On 1/22/2020 at 6:35 PM, Princess69 said:

My friend name in her venom at was type wrongly. Instead Princess, it became Prince. Is it big issue to us embassy?

On 3/30/2011 at 7:50 PM, Theresa0828 said:

On 4/10/2011 at 9:25 PM, KdRjN said:

Hello guys,

I m also having the same problem in the other hand.I got my visa on friday but i was working in the other city so they sent it to my house.I went to check my passport if my visa in it then i saw the yellow envelepo is already got a big cut off with the scissors then the package already opened all the way i called to the ups office i f they opened it they told me that we are not able to open it we just delivered it the way it we got..The officer told me maybe the package got damaged in the truck i think he is right bec it was so thick tight and heavy thats possible to happen

here is my packages pics

http://i51.tinypic.com/10fubdi.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/5vxhfk.jpg

tell me guys what to do ?all i can think is to contact with the embassy

here is my package pics

Tell me guys what i really need to do i m also so worried too

Yeah, you’re right. Open intentionally and tear accidentally are two different things.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.