Tanya510

can i change my last name after getting married to USC if i am out of status

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

While filing the forms (applying I-130 I-485 concurrentlty ) i faced a problem: i am putting down my maiden name. Can i change my last name if i am out of status, how is it done and how long does it take? or should i change my name when the process of getting GC is over? I would like to get my GC with my new last name on it though)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your last name is changed to your married name when you get married. All you do use use your marriage certificate for proof to get your IDs changed. If you want your green card in your married name you file for it in your married name.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Your last name is changed to your married name when you get married.

There's a little more to it than that. Your name doesn't just change - you need to officially change it, I believe with the Social Security Administration. As I am sure you know, many couples keep their separate surnames after marriage (that's what we did).

As for OP, if you have already changed your name, you should use it on the AOS. But it doesn't sound like you have changed it yet, so I wouldn't use it on the forms. I think it would come down to time - would you rather file ASAP to get the ball rolling or wait until your name change is official?

Also, remember that the forms include space for other names that you have gone by. You can include your maiden name, married name, etc there to help avoid any confusion. You can also include a statement on your cover letters if you wish. Whatever you decide to do, I would make sure you are consistent throughout the process.

A marriage certificate is a valid name change document, if you choose to change it. It doesn't automatically change, but you are permitted to start using a different name based on your husband's name if you so wish. If you want to start going by your husband's name, then it is definitely advisable to apply for your GC in your married name - what a great way to eventually show the SS Office that you changed your name! (BTW a marriage certificate also serves this purpose at the SS Office). USCIS is used to this and it's totally fine. Bottom line, if you want to go by married name, apply for your GC in your married name. You can use it on the forms.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In Oregon, anyways, you have to let them know you are changing your name and how (spouse's last name or hyphenated) when you apply for the marriage license. If you didn't do this at the time, you'd have to go through the normal name change process through the courts. It sounds like it's not like this everywhere, but the OP may want to look into their state's laws.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

There's a little more to it than that. Your name doesn't just change - you need to officially change it, I believe with the Social Security Administration. As I am sure you know, many couples keep their separate surnames after marriage (that's what we did).

As for OP, if you have already changed your name, you should use it on the AOS. But it doesn't sound like you have changed it yet, so I wouldn't use it on the forms. I think it would come down to time - would you rather file ASAP to get the ball rolling or wait until your name change is official?

Also, remember that the forms include space for other names that you have gone by. You can include your maiden name, married name, etc there to help avoid any confusion. You can also include a statement on your cover letters if you wish. Whatever you decide to do, I would make sure you are consistent throughout the process.

This doesn't make sense to me. A lot of immigrants getting married here in the states don't have Social Security numbers, so there's no way to "officially change" their name with SSA. My wife didn't have a SSN until after she got her green card.

To the OP: when you fill out your AOS forms, put the name you want to be officially called (using your married name, if that's what you want). That way, the Green Card will be in your official married name. That's what my wife did. She filled out everything with her married name and put her maiden name on any line that said, "other names used," etc. As long as you're consistent, there shouldn't be any problems. As Harpa pointed out, the marriage certificate should serve as the notice of name change for USCIS, SSA, or any other interested parties.

Good luck!

AJ

Our Timeline (AOS from VWP with short overstay):

Day 00: 19 Sep 2010 AOS package (I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765) sent to Chicago Lockbox

Day 18: 07 Oct 2010 Biometrics appointment letter received for 29 Oct 2010 (dated 01 Oct 2010)

Day 19: 08 Oct 2010 Walk-in biometrics (took about 10 minutes)

Day 47: 05 Nov 2010 Received letter (dated 01 Nov 2010) for Interview on 07 Dec 2010

Day 68: 26 Nov 2010 I-131 TOUCHED: AP approved

Day 73: 01 Dec 2010 I-765 TOUCHED: EAD approved

Day 76: 04 Dec 2010 AP received

Day 79: 07 Dec 2010 Interview at 1 p.m. (took maybe 15 minutes): RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL!

Day 82: 10 Dec 2010 EAD received (dated 01 Dec 2010)

Day 83: 11 Dec 2010 "WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" letter received (dated 07 Dec 2010)

Day 90: 18 Dec 2010 GREEN CARD IN HAND! (dated 07 Dec 2010)

Day 000: 27 Nov 2012 ROC package (I-751) sent to California Service Center

Day 005: 03 Dec 2012 Received hard copy of NOA (dated 28 Nov 2012)

Day 244: 29 Jul 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received for 07 Aug 2013 (dated 27 Jul 2013)

Day 247: 01 Aug 2013 Walk-in biometrics (took about 25 minutes)

Day 308: 01 Oct 2013 Received approval notice for ROC (dated 24 Sep 2013)

Day 317: 10 Oct 2013 GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Day 000: 16 Sep 2017 N-400 filed online

Day 007: 23 Sep 2017 Biometrics appointment scheduled for 12 Oct 2017

Day 024: 10 Oct 2017 Walk-in biometrics (took about 10 minutes)

Day 059: 14 Nov 2017 Received notice that Interview scheduled for 19 Dec 2017

Day 066: 20 Nov 2017 Received hard copy of Interview notice (dated 14 Nov 2017)

Day 094: 19 Dec 2017 INTERVIEW (PASSED!)

Day 145:  08 Feb 2018 OATH CEREMONY

In Oregon, anyways, you have to let them know you are changing your name and how (spouse's last name or hyphenated) when you apply for the marriage license. If you didn't do this at the time, you'd have to go through the normal name change process through the courts. It sounds like it's not like this everywhere, but the OP may want to look into their state's laws.

You're right. I got married in NY and there was a box to check to change name. However, as I understand it, USCIS (federal laws) uses the marriage cert. as proof of name change, and the SS offices do too. (I have seen a SSA checklist for workers explaining what the permissible combinations were for name change when presented with a marriage cert.) It seems to me that if someone had a GC in a married name then getting a state ID with married name would be easy (even if they hadn't checked the box on their marriage cert). I have also read that most states don't have this check box regarding name change. Anyway, I wonder how these state laws would hold up against federal ones.

Bottom line to the OP: It is fine to use your married name on your AOS application.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Thank you for your help!!! Now im gonna put my married name on my forms for sure) The thing that made be confused is that none of my documents have my married name. When we got married the marriage certificate didnt have "name change" check. My SSN has my maiden name too. As my husband says it would be better to get GC in my married name so that i can change my last name on SSN easily.

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hiya

1) Does anyone knows by any chance on I-131 Form do I use our family name or her name? I am asking this because to my eyes I don't understand how they can issue a document such as the Advanced Parole under a name that will be different from the one that she has on her passport (how can it be valid in other words?).

Geee I feel like I am sinking here with all these small details

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

While filing the forms (applying I-130 I-485 concurrentlty ) i faced a problem: i am putting down my maiden name. Can i change my last name if i am out of status, how is it done and how long does it take? or should i change my name when the process of getting GC is over? I would like to get my GC with my new last name on it though)

I asked the exact same question yesterday,Im out of status too,I went to the Social Service website and read about the name change-unfortunately u cant change ur last name when u r our of status cause when u go to the social service u have to bring a proof of immigration status...so some people on VJ advised me to file my AOS papers in my new name(my husbands last name),and when I get the green card with the new name on it,then change my passport and my SS card..

p.s. if u wait to do it until u get ur GC it'll cost u $$$$,so better do it with the AOS filing...thats what Im doing :)

good luck!

Edited by NushiCarter

09-10-13 (day 00) : AOS Package sent

09-12-13 (day 02) : Package delivered

09-17-13 (day 07) : Texts / emails received

09-23-13 (day 13) : Only one NOA hard copy received

10-07-13 (day 27) : NOA hard copy for I 485 received (NOA for I 130 still missing)

10-09-13 (day 29) : Biometrics letter FAXED, appointment for 10-11-13

10-11-13 (day 31) : Biometrics done

10-23-13 (day 43) : Online status changed to "testing and interview"

10-28-13 (day 48) : Interview appointment letter received - Nov 27th

11-12-13 (day 63) : EAD online status changed to "card production"

11-21-13 (day 72) : EAD card received in mail

11-27-13 (day 78) : AOS interview-approved!

12-02-13 (day 83) : "Welcome to America" letter received

12-04-13 (day 85) : Green card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I was out of status as well when we got married in VA. When we applied for the marriage license there was no option on the form for the name change.

The clerk told me that if I want to change my name I have to go to a SSA office. To have my name changed I needed to show proof of legal status so I decided to wait until I get my US citizenship so I can change it then for free.

I believe I can do it now as well, but I don't want to pay all that money and wait God knows for how long to get an updated GC.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.