lorenzo29

using a co-sponsor on k1 visa in philippines

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello!, im new to this site and i think it can help me on my k1 visa issue, if somebody can help me to give some advices for my k1 visa it would be much appreciated! so here is my situation, i am a 20y.o filipino american citizen just came here in C.A last may after my graduation as a nurse and now currently reviewing for NCLEX. i decided to get a k1 visa for my finance(4yrs relationship) who is also a nurse graduate and recently passed the board exams, because it doesn't make sense if she would still stay there now that i am here and we can't stand to be separated for a longtime. :( as i browsed the internet i knew that PHILIPPINE IMMIGRATION doesn't accept a CO-SPONSOR, it really concerns me because my MOM who is also a nurse is the one who will provide the affidavit of support we even used an attorney to help us and prevent any mistakes so the process could run smoothly, im really disappointed that the atty. didn't bring this scenario to us, i live with my brother and stepfather they are both CNA's and im only the one who is not yet employed, im really concerned that our application will get denied after spending much on attorney's fee and k1 application. i would give my advance gratitude for those who will take time to read and reply to my concerns! thanks. :no:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

they will occasionally accept a co-sponsor for K1 if the co-sponsor signs an I-864 and because the petitioner doesn't have income because they are or were a student.

Timeline

So, if you use a co-sponsor, you would still have to submit your income stuff along with your co-sponsors income? If you're not really sure if you would need a co-sponsor, can you still submit their stuff? Just to be sure?

Timeline

they will occasionally accept a co-sponsor for K1 if the co-sponsor signs an I-864 and because the petitioner doesn't have income because they are or were a student.

hello Vanessa&Tony!, thanks for the reply, does this mean that we have a chance to get approved on our petiton based on our situation? i haven't talked yet to our atty. about this matter and i will try to contact him as asap, i just want to have some opinions hopefully positive to relieve my anxiety. by the way what is this "I-864", sorry for the trouble of asking, thanks in advance! :D

Timeline
hello Vanessa&Tony!, thanks for the reply, does this mean that we have a chance to get approved on our petiton based on our situation? i haven't talked yet to our atty. about this matter and i will try to contact him as asap, i just want to have some opinions hopefully positive to relieve my anxiety. by the way what is this "I-864", sorry for the trouble of asking, thanks in advance! :D

The I-864 is binding. The I-134 isn't.

Check the USCIS website to locate the form and it's instructions. It's more involved than the I-134 but they're more likely to take it seriously if you include it.

There's definitely a CHANCE that you'll be approved this way... but there's still also the chance you won't. Usually they allow it for students because the reason they aren't earning money now is to have a better earning potential later.

**Fingers crossed** it will work.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Do some reading in the Philippines regional forum to learn from people going through Manila. The acceptance of joint sponsors for K visas is not a given. Close relatives of the petitioner seem to be preferred. Also, if the petitioner is a recent college grad and/or just joined the workforce (and thus are seen to have good earning potential ahead of them) the joint sponsor is more likely to be accepted.

Also, be sure to check with the embassy before using forms that are not listed as being requested. You don't want to incur a delay while you get a joint sponsor in the US to send the proper form.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Check the USCIS website to locate the form and it's instructions. It's more involved than the I-134 but they're more likely to take it seriously if you include it.

There's definitely a CHANCE that you'll be approved this way... but there's still also the chance you won't. Usually they allow it for students because the reason they aren't earning money now is to have a better earning potential later.

thanks for the advice Vanessa&Tony, i will check with our attorney tommorow about this situation, im just really concerned that im in this situation, and our atty didn't bring this stuff up and explaining the possible situations for denials such as this, thanks for the help! god bless!! :thumbs:

Timeline

Do some reading in the Philippines regional forum to learn from people going through Manila. The acceptance of joint sponsors for K visas is not a given. Close relatives of the petitioner seem to be preferred. Also, if the petitioner is a recent college grad and/or just joined the workforce (and thus are seen to have good earning potential ahead of them) the joint sponsor is more likely to be accepted.

Also, be sure to check with the embassy before using forms that are not listed as being requested. You don't want to incur a delay while you get a joint sponsor in the US to send the proper form.

hello Anh map!, yes i will go to the regional forum to have more info,im just worried because after reading lots of forums on the net i knew that only the phil. immig. doesn't approve co sponsors, yes we are both recent college grad.(march 2010,both nurses) i hope they will consider our situation bec. i cant stand being away from my fiance for a long time. also my mom is more than willing to provide all our needs even my father even if they are divorced who is also a nurse,i hope our situation will not be grounds for denial to our petition. thankyou and godbless! :lol:

I-864 is NOT a requirement for K visas at USEM. Only the I-134. I-864 comes into play when nonimmigrants adjust status in the US.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline
I-864 is NOT a requirement for K visas at USEM. Only the I-134. I-864 comes into play when nonimmigrants adjust status in the US.

I didn't say it WAS a requirement. I said that the best chance of getting a co-sponsor permitted on a K1 visa is by using an I-864. There's been hundreds of posts about this.

hello!, im new to this site and i think it can help me on my k1 visa issue, if somebody can help me to give some advices for my k1 visa it would be much appreciated! so here is my situation, i am a 20y.o filipino american citizen just came here in C.A last may after my graduation as a nurse and now currently reviewing for NCLEX. i decided to get a k1 visa for my finance(4yrs relationship) who is also a nurse graduate and recently passed the board exams, because it doesn't make sense if she would still stay there now that i am here and we can't stand to be separated for a longtime. :( as i browsed the internet i knew that PHILIPPINE IMMIGRATION doesn't accept a CO-SPONSOR, it really concerns me because my MOM who is also a nurse is the one who will provide the affidavit of support we even used an attorney to help us and prevent any mistakes so the process could run smoothly, im really disappointed that the atty. didn't bring this scenario to us, i live with my brother and stepfather they are both CNA's and im only the one who is not yet employed, im really concerned that our application will get denied after spending much on attorney's fee and k1 application. i would give my advance gratitude for those who will take time to read and reply to my concerns! thanks. :no:

I think it's acceptable in some cases like yours. Your mom is your co-sponsor and that sounds Ok plus, both of you has a possibility to land a job in the near future if not sooner. Goodluck and God bless in your journey! :thumbs:

"The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it."

06/20/2009 - Met online ( I am from Philippines and he's from Wisconsin)

04/26/2010 - Met in Philippines (for 2 weeks)

05/08/2010 - Officially engaged!! ( He sent the engagement ring 09/24/2010 and he proposed to me on bended knee in Philippines with the second part of engagement ring) *melting*

06/18/2010 - I-129F package Sent

06/21/2010 - NOA1

06/24/2010 - Touched

09/23/2010 - Touched (when I contacted the Congressman's office)

11/15/2010 - Touched (hopefully the approval)

11/17/2010 - NOA2 (Received hard copy 11/22/2010)

12/01/2010 - Received a letter from DOS dated 11/29/2010 stating that the petition will be forwared to USE AD within a week and that I will received the packets very soon from embassy.

01/18/2011 - Interview. APPROVED!!! No words can express how happy i am.

01/25/2011 - VISA in hand! YAY!!!

02/20/2011 - POE Chicago (O'hare)

05/14/2011 - Our Wedding day

I think it's acceptable in some cases like yours. Your mom is your co-sponsor and that sounds Ok plus, both of you has a possibility to land a job in the near future if not sooner. Goodluck and God bless in your journey! :thumbs:

I also know someone here who was required of I-864 instead of I-134 on K1 visa. But I'm also confident to say that your case is Ok to go for I-134 with a co-sponsor even in Philippines. I think you should let your mom write a letter stating that she will be your co-sponsor on I-864 as well. It is understandable bcoz you have just graduated in nursing. And ohhh speaking of nursing I can say that it really runs in your blood! :lol:

"The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it."

05/08/2010 - Officially engaged!! ( He sent the engagement ring 09/24/2010 and he proposed to me on bended knee in Philippines with the second part of engagement ring) *melting*

06/21/2010 - NOA1

06/24/2010 - Touched

12/01/2010 - Received a letter from DOS dated 11/29/2010 stating that the petition will be forwared to USE AD within a week and that I will received the packets very soon from embassy.

I also know someone here who was required of I-864 instead of I-134 on K1 visa. But I'm also confident to say that your case is Ok to go for I-134 with a co-sponsor even in Philippines. I think you should let your mom write a letter stating that she will be your co-sponsor on I-864 as well. It is understandable bcoz you have just graduated in nursing. And ohhh speaking of nursing I can say that it really runs in your blood! :lol:

That's when you adjust your status in the future.

06/21/2010 - NOA1

06/24/2010 - Touched

Timeline

hello SimplyMacy!, im so glad to hear your thoughts about our case, it really took away my anxiety, i will talk to my mom about that I-186 form and talk to our atty. about this matter, im disappointed that our atty didn't explain this situation to us before pushing through the application, :angry: i hope that the consul in the philippines would understand our situation and approve our case, :D by the way, i think our family really is inline with nursing including my mom, my brother although he's a CNA and my stepfather, my father, my stepmom, me and my fiance, :rofl:, thanks for sharing your toughts! it really helps! god bless! :thumbs:

hello SimplyMacy!, im so glad to hear your thoughts about our case, it really took away my anxiety, i will talk to my mom about that I-186 form and talk to our atty. about this matter, im disappointed that our atty didn't explain this situation to us before pushing through the application, :angry: i hope that the consul in the philippines would understand our situation and approve our case, :D by the way, i think our family really is inline with nursing including my mom, my brother although he's a CNA and my stepfather, my father, my stepmom, me and my fiance, :rofl:, thanks for sharing your toughts! it really helps! god bless! :thumbs:

Timeline

i mean "I-864" lol :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.