Brad and Vika

WTF! I cannot believe she said that!!!

79 posts in this topic

Retro back two years ago with me.....

My wife (then fiance') tells me that although America is very nice, she would be happy for us to live in Ukraine, or anywhere close to Ukraine. She would jump at the chance for a (more) extended visit. You see, what I need to understand is that her family, most friends, and yes - her soul were all forever Ukrainian. She will always love Ukraine, and the family dacha was always going to be the best place on earth.

Now forward to a conversation in Odessa three weeks ago.....

We are sitting at Top Sandwich on Deribasovskaya (the one across from McDonald's). I take a breath, enjoying the sun and beautiful weather, and say casually that I could live this way all the time. Whoops!!! :o My wife informs me that in no way were we EVER going to live in Ukraine under any circumstances. What was I thinking, bringing that subject up? Couldn't I SEE how much better our lives were in America? How could I even imagine just hanging around in Ukraine, making small money, all the rude service, no air conditioning, hot and cramped buses, small apartments, and the list went on. I was too stunned to reply. Sitting slack-jawed, I listened to my sweet half expound all the virtues of my country, and profoundly dis the motherland. She has absolutely no recall of all the homesickness, and the tears shed over her terrible loss, or the bleak prospect of living out her days in the home of the Big Mac. :rofl::rofl:

But the dacha still rocks :thumbs:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife (then fiance') tells me that although America is very nice, she would be happy for us to live in Ukraine, or anywhere close to Ukraine. She would jump at the chance for a (more) extended visit. You see, what I need to understand is that her family, most friends, and yes - her soul were all forever Ukrainian. She will always love Ukraine, and the family dacha was always going to be the best place on earth.

We are sitting at Top Sandwich on Deribasovskaya (the one across from McDonald's). I take a breath, enjoying the sun and beautiful weather, and say casually that I could live this way all the time. Whoops!!! :o My wife informs me that in no way were we EVER going to live in Ukraine under any circumstances. What was I thinking, bringing that subject up? Couldn't I SEE how much better our lives were in America? How could I even imagine just hanging around in Ukraine, making small money, all the rude service, no air conditioning, hot and cramped buses, small apartments, and the list went on. I was too stunned to reply. Sitting slack-jawed, I listened to my sweet half expound all the virtues of my country, and profoundly dis the motherland. She has absolutely no recall of all the homesickness, and the tears shed over her terrible loss, or the bleak prospect of living out her days in the home of the Big Mac. :rofl::rofl:

:dance:

:lol: Sounds familiar. The first year she made the trip back, she couldn't wait to get to Ukraine. The second year she couldn't wait to get "home". Now we just took a trip around the US and she was saying the whole time "I want my bed, I want my kitchen..."

I overheard her telling her friends here, there is "no way" she could live in Ukraine again. She said she couldn't live a again without her car! :lol:

And now Segey has a girlfriend in Moscow and so when we were skyping today, Alla asks (joking) "So when you marry Daria where will you live?" he answered..."America! With you!" :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

:dance:

:lol: Sounds familiar. The first year she made the trip back, she couldn't wait to get to Ukraine. The second year she couldn't wait to get "home". Now we just took a trip around the US and she was saying the whole time "I want my bed, I want my kitchen..."

I overheard her telling her friends here, there is "no way" she could live in Ukraine again. She said she couldn't live a again without her car! :lol:

And now Segey has a girlfriend in Moscow and so when we were skyping today, Alla asks (joking) "So when you marry Daria where will you live?" he answered..."America! With you!" :lol:

Not a bit surprised at this point.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

They eventually all come around. Big Macs are AWESOME! :dance:

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Sounds familiar. The first year she made the trip back, she couldn't wait to get to Ukraine. The second year she couldn't wait to get "home".
Same thing with Mrs. T-B. -- she didn't feel like Ecu was "her" country any longer. She misses her family & enjoys seeing her friends, si man, but she couldn't live there again, no man. Acclimation & acculturation, si man...

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Upon arrival, my wife was super depressed and homesick and just couldn't live here. She was never going to become a citizen. Life was horrible and the sky was falling.

Fast forward four years and she's holding the blue passport considering all the places to travel to EXCEPT back home. "Why I will be waste my money travel in this horrible nasty place? If they wanna see me, they must meet togeser whis me somewhere nice!"

Cum grano salis.....

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Haha very familiar. "Oh in St. Petersburg the Metro is so much better here you have to drive everywhere, I can't find my favorite foods, blah blah blah blah" I have learned that all Natasha wants is to remember, and talk about her old life but she wouldn't want to move back there with or without me. Itold her once if she wasn't happy we would move to St. Petersburg, she told me what? Where would I find tacos!

Timeline

Like many others, my wife most of all wanted me to move to Ukraine to live with her...it was a frequent topic while waiting for her visa to be approved. Fast forward three years, and the USA is now her home. The first year was a big tough for her because she wasn't really doing much other than adjusting.

She was from a good sized city and didn't understand living in the suburbs of Atlanta at all...no people walking around and so much nature...like we lived in the middle of the woods (even though it's just a typical residential area). For her, the big change came when she went back to school...being around all the people and finally working on her college degree changed things overnight.

It used to be that she had the opinion that pretty much everything was better in Ukraine. Now, there's only a handful of things (usually natural foods, etc.) that she considers better.

It takes a bit to adjust, but it happens eventually!

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It's been three years since we have been back to Russia so earlier this year I suggested we go back for a visit. She said NO. Why go back there? There are so many more interesting places to go for a vacation.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Some people change their opinion when their life changes,

These people are called women.

some people don't ever change no matter what. :thumbs:

These people are called men.

all Natasha wants is to remember, and talk about her old life but she wouldn't want to move back there with or without me.

She'd also like for you to acknowledge she's thirsty. Not that she wants you to get her a glass of watuh, but that she's thirsty and you should be thirsty too.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I was told by a woman from Switzerland that once my fiancee has lived in America for a few years, she won't want to go back home. She said that although the friends and family are there and it is nice to reminiscence, once they get used to the way of life in this country they will not want to go back to a lesser life. Lena and I have talked about retiring to Ukraine, but that is still pretty far off, if at all. I can see myself living there for about six months a year, but probably not in the winter. :thumbs:

I like to think that the change in opinion has more to do with us having a life here and adjusting to their new life. There seems to be one common thread among all our wives. They want to travel to many other places and not necessarily back to the home country. It's an easy solution too, just add money. :rofl:

Timeline

I am so thrilled to read all of these comments. My fiance is coming here in december ( with luck ) and I worry that she will not like it.But you all give me great hope. Good luck to all !!

she will never admit to liking it! :rofl:

wait until she learns to drive and has that independence, but still complains that there are no buses like in Ukraine. Then we moved to a place within 2 blocks of the bus route and I suggest she rides the bus to school. "Are you CRAZY? NO WAY! I have a car, I am NOT walking to the bus in the rain and snow and..." :lol: Then this summer she griped to me the whole time in Ukraine. No car, the flat is too hot, the hot water is not working, I hate the bus, I hate the train, I want MY ved, I want MY bathtub" (the ones in Ukraine are also "hers") I want MY bedroom.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.