Tero

Denied k-1 visa

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good day everyone. My fiancée was denied visa after one bogus question. She had all the evidence and paperworks to prove our relationship. The interview was going well until the consulate officer asked my fiancée if during our traditional engagement ceremony, I gave any monetary gift to her parents. My fiancée answered yes. Then the CO declared that that signifies a dowry and according to the Nigerian law, we are married. My fiancée tried to explain to her that it was just a gift for her parents and not a dowry, but the CO insisted that as long as money was paid, it was marriage and I should go back and refile for her as a wife and not a fiancée. We only did an engagement ceremony and not marriage. If I had filed for her as a wife, how would I have provided a proof of marriage when we are not yet married?. Please, I need an advice on what to do because it's been 9 months already and I do not want to have to travel to get married and start this whole process all over again ...gush!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You are the second one I have heard about getting tripped up by Nigerian traditions. You are not married and they should have granted a fiance visa. Paying bride price does not complete a marriage. Right now you are stuck. I would attempt to get in touch with the supervisor of the Immigration unit and ask them to clarify the rules the embassy follows in regards to Nigerian traditions and visas. It looks like taking a copy of Nigerian marriage law is in order for fiance visas as it seems some crazy CO has made up their own rules. To help the rest heading to interviews which one was it ? The Asian lady , the black lady or the white man ( or is there someone new ?)

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good day everyone. My fiancée was denied visa after one bogus question. She had all the evidence and paperworks to prove our relationship. The interview was going well until the consulate officer asked my fiancée if during our traditional engagement ceremony, I gave any monetary gift to her parents. My fiancée answered yes. Then the CO declared that that signifies a dowry and according to the Nigerian law, we are married. My fiancée tried to explain to her that it was just a gift for her parents and not a dowry, but the CO insisted that as long as money was paid, it was marriage and I should go back and refile for her as a wife and not a fiancée. We only did an engagement ceremony and not marriage. If I had filed for her as a wife, how would I have provided a proof of marriage when we are not yet married?. Please, I need an advice on what to do because it's been 9 months already and I do not want to have to travel to get married and start this whole process all over again ...gush!

I will say you should contact your district representative about this and make sure you do that before the petition returns to NVC. Wish you good luck!

Timeline-

Got introduced to Oladoyin --- 09-20=2007

Went to Nigeria to meet --- 12-23-2007

Went to Nigeria for the 2nd time --- 12-07-2008

Proposed to her --- 01-03-2009

Our Traditional Introduction (i couldn't go)- 04-21-09

Visit her in Nigeria & she got pregnant-- 07-06-2009

Sent I129F --- 01-02-2010

VSC received I129f--- 01-05-2010

Web NOA 1- 01-06-2010

Visit her in Nigeria --- 01-12-2010

Had a baby boy --- 03-09-2010

NOA 2 ---- 03/31/2010

NOA 2 hardcopy ---- 04-05-2010

NVC received --- 04-09-2010

-NVC Sent --- 04-09-2010

Embassy received --- 04/12/2010

Packet 4 received --- 04/19/2010

MEdical & Police report --- 05/11/2010

Interview --- 08/06/2010 (Approved)

Visa pick up date --- 08/13/2010 (Visa not ready)

2nd visa pick up date --- 08/17/2010 (Not ready yet)

3rd visa pick up date--- 08 /20/2010 (told to go back to consulate office)

4th Visa pick up date ----- 08/24/2010

Visa in hand---08/24/2010 (Praise da Lord!)

POE --- 09/02/2010 (Boston, MA) The journey is long, but successful!

AOS Processing

AOS mailed ---- 11/24/2010

NOA1s through email/text message --- 12/15/2010

Check cashed --- 12/16/2010

NOA paper ---- 12-18-2010

Biometric apt letter received -- 12-24-2010

Biometric apt -- 01/14/2011

EAD approved -- 02/10/2011

EAD sent -- 02/14/2011

EAD received --- 02/18/2011

AOS approved (with no interview) ---- 02/23/2011

Green card sent ---- 02/24/2011

Timeline

Thanks guys. Of course it was the known witch! ...the Asian lady. I have filled out a form for my senator about the issue and would mail it tomorrow, since I am away from home at the moment (also plan to call his office). I also plan to call the consulate in Lagos to talk to somebody (I hope I am able to get through ...hope they'll listen). Thanks for your inputs guys.

Timeline

Tero,

So sorry that your visa was denied. My husband had the infamous Asian lady CO the second time he went for an interview too. We were calling each other husband and wife on our emails, and she tried to pressure my husband into confessing that we were married when indeed we were not. She gave him a 221g requesting all my passports because she believed that we were secretly married. That incident too happened to my step cousin and he was denied the visa as well (his wife gave the pictures from the introduction,he had to refile on a marriage based visa)Put pressure on your senator/congressmen to keep the petition there. The Consular officers are well trained to learn the customs/traditions of the Nigerian culture. They think they know so much when indeed they dont know anything.Good luck and All the Best.

Nwanyioma

AOS Timeline
7-23-2010 AOS package mailed priority via USPS to Chicago Lockbox (expected delivery date 7-26-2010)
7-27-2010 AOS package delivered
8-3-2010 NOA 1 AOS/EAD/AP (received hard copy NOA 1's in mailbox 8-7-2010)
8-6-2010 AOS/EAD/AP Touched
8-9-2010 AOS/EAD/AP Touched
9-15-2010 Biometrics walk-in at Alexandria,VA ASC(original appointment date 10-5-2010)
9-15-2010 AOS/EAD Touched
9-16-2010 AOS/EAD Touched
9-22-2010 EAD/AP Touched
9-22-2010 EAD card production ordered. Approved!!!!!
9-23-2010 EAD/AP Touched
9-30-2010 EAD received in mail
10-4-2010 Received interview letter in the mail
11-9-2010 AOS interview 11:00am in Baltimore, Maryland
11-9-2010 Greencard approved!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Either you are married or you are not. If you are married you do not need to travel to get married again. I often tell people NOT to engage in ceremonies which can be confused as marriage, this is why. If you are not married and have no marriage certificate, you cannot apply for a CR-1 visa. If the petition is sent back to USCIS it may be re-approved and sent back to Nigeria OR you can withdraw it and file a new petition for a K-1. You are dealing with a difficult consulate and your fiance was not properly prepared. Lagos is perhaps the most difficult consulat in the world. I would seek some advice from successful people in the regional subforum for Nigeria

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Joseph actually laughed at that witch, She tried to push his buttons saying that his father died because he was marrying a white woman , he said no , look at the picture of them smiling together,he died when he learned you people were trying to keep us apart. Anyway , there is the Nigerian marriage lawMarriage Act This is what defines what is considered married in Nigeria.

Also there are other parts to the traditional marriage where bride price is exchanged

On the wedding day, in addition to the bride-price, the groom must pay a dowry first to the bride's mother and then another dowry to the father; this involves a significant amount of bargaining. Also every member of the bride's mother's family must be given money, with the groom's family determining the amount. The bride's age group and her more distant relatives also are given money, with the amount varying with level of the bride's education and productivity. Then the groom's family gives the bride a rooster and some money. If she accepts these gifts and gives them to her mother, she indicates her acceptance of the groom, but if she refuses, she signifies her refusal. If she accepts him, she is showered with gifts and money, and the two families eat and drink together. Before the bride is finally handed over to her husband, however, her age group will pose as a mock barrier to those who want to take her and extort money from the anxious groom's family. The bride's mother buys her cooking utensils and food because she is not expected to go to the market for the first five market days after her marriage. At the end of the eating and drinking, the wife is finally handed over to her husband's family.

So the marriage is more than paying bride price . However if you look at Nigerian law , traditional marriages are not accepted legally. Hope this helps

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Also there are other parts to the traditional marriage where bride price is exchanged [...]
Fascinating, & holy mackerel, si man!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Tero, I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal with the CO. The CO must really be having a bad day. She knows within herself that she will not approve a Spouse visa (CR-1/IR-1 visa) based on your Engagement pictures and the fact that 'monetary gift' was involved. After seeking the mediation of your Senator, you may want to send them an email (LagosIV at states dot gov), asking then to if they will approve a Spouse visa based on the so called 'monetary gift' during the engagement, and even if they will, how you even can obtain a CR-1/IR-1 approval from USCIS when you have no Marriage Certificate or any other admissible evidence to proof marriage. I hope they reply your email with good information. Incidentally, Lagos Embassy is not one of the places you can call and ask to speak to a Supervisor to seek redress. Only the emails work for now, and their response time is even spanning up to two weeks in recent times. Please keep us all updated. I hope you obtain a redress quickly.

Peace,

GreatGuy

Edited by GreatGuy

Timeline

Tero, I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal with the CO. The CO must really be having a bad day. She knows within herself that she will not approve a Spouse visa (CR-1/IR-1 visa) based on your Engagement pictures and the fact that 'monetary gift' was involved. After seeking the mediation of your Senator, you may want to send them an email (LagosIV at states dot gov), asking then to if they will approve a Spouse visa based on the so called 'monetary gift' during the engagement, and even if they will, how you even can obtain a CR-1/IR-1 approval from USCIS when you have no Marriage Certificate or any other admissible evidence to proof marriage. I hope they reply your email with good information.

Incidentally, Lagos Embassy is not one of the places you can call and ask to speak to a Supervisor to seek redress. Only the emails work for now, and their response time is even spanning up to two weeks in recent times. Please keep us all updated. I hope you obtain a redress quickly.

Peace,

GreatGuy

Some of these COs needs to be trained or held accountable for their reasonings. They should know that most legally married people will not file for a fiance visa when K3 visa takes about the same processing time and is even cheaper.

Edited by GreatGuy

Timeline

I hope they pay for all the pains they are giving to people without any good reason. This excuse is nothing short of craziness. Wow!!

Timeline-

Got introduced to Oladoyin --- 09-20=2007

Went to Nigeria to meet --- 12-23-2007

Went to Nigeria for the 2nd time --- 12-07-2008

Proposed to her --- 01-03-2009

Our Traditional Introduction (i couldn't go)- 04-21-09

Visit her in Nigeria & she got pregnant-- 07-06-2009

Sent I129F --- 01-02-2010

VSC received I129f--- 01-05-2010

Web NOA 1- 01-06-2010

Visit her in Nigeria --- 01-12-2010

Had a baby boy --- 03-09-2010

NOA 2 ---- 03/31/2010

NOA 2 hardcopy ---- 04-05-2010

NVC received --- 04-09-2010

-NVC Sent --- 04-09-2010

Embassy received --- 04/12/2010

Packet 4 received --- 04/19/2010

MEdical & Police report --- 05/11/2010

Interview --- 08/06/2010 (Approved)

Visa pick up date --- 08/13/2010 (Visa not ready)

2nd visa pick up date --- 08/17/2010 (Not ready yet)

3rd visa pick up date--- 08 /20/2010 (told to go back to consulate office)

4th Visa pick up date ----- 08/24/2010

Visa in hand---08/24/2010 (Praise da Lord!)

POE --- 09/02/2010 (Boston, MA) The journey is long, but successful!

AOS Processing

AOS mailed ---- 11/24/2010

NOA1s through email/text message --- 12/15/2010

Check cashed --- 12/16/2010

NOA paper ---- 12-18-2010

Biometric apt letter received -- 12-24-2010

Biometric apt -- 01/14/2011

EAD approved -- 02/10/2011

EAD sent -- 02/14/2011

EAD received --- 02/18/2011

AOS approved (with no interview) ---- 02/23/2011

Green card sent ---- 02/24/2011

Timeline

Thanks for your concerns and inputs everyone. That Asian lady is always having a bad day, it's her default. The only news with her is when she has a good day ... good luck catching that! I tried calling in vain as I could net even get through. I had taken the time to send them an elaborate email appealing and explaining that there are over a hundred different cultures in Nigeria, and that what constitutes marriage varies widely amongst cultures and even amongst families within thesame culture. I tried to clarify the 3 stages i.e. The Introduction, The Engagement, and The Marriage, and how it is still different amongst cultures and families. I hope it makes sense to them. I know the COs are trained to understand the Nigerian laws, but Nigerian cultures are so diverse that even born Nigerians dont still know how all the different cultures practise their ceremonies. I have contacted my representative and explained to them, I hope something positive comes out of it. One would think that sending them pictures of an engagement ceremony would be a good proof of a legitimate relationship, too bad it turns out hurting. I'll keep you guys updated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Rough situation. Good luck!

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

Ok so, I got a reply to my email from the Lagos Consulate today. In spite of my whole clarification and appeal and explanation, they said the case is already closed as far as they are concerned, and that they are going to send back my petition to DHS/USCIS. They told me to direct all inquiries about the case to the DHS/USCIS. So cold!!! I called the DHS and explained the misunderstanding, and the DHS told me to wait for my petition to get to them first, so they can review and decide. My representative also said he sent them a note today to reconsider, but he has no guarantee that they'll listen. Told me it could take 2 to 3 weeks to hear anything. At this point, it's a waiting game. Anybody have any experience as to how long it took for their petition to be returned, reviewed and reapproved? It feels so helpless and frustrating to be so powerless!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ok so, I got a reply to my email from the Lagos Consulate today. In spite of my whole clarification and appeal and explanation, they said the case is already closed as far as they are concerned, and that they are going to send back my petition to DHS/USCIS. They told me to direct all inquiries about the case to the DHS/USCIS. So cold!!! I called the DHS and explained the misunderstanding, and the DHS told me to wait for my petition to get to them first, so they can review and decide. My representative also said he sent them a note today to reconsider, but he has no guarantee that they'll listen. Told me it could take 2 to 3 weeks to hear anything. At this point, it's a waiting game. Anybody have any experience as to how long it took for their petition to be returned, reviewed and reapproved? It feels so helpless and frustrating to be so powerless!

Any news

AOS & EAD Journey:

Date Filed : 2010-05-13

NOA Date : 2010-05-20

Bio. Appt. : 2010-06-25

Case transferred to California : 2010-06-11

Touched : 2010-06-25(AOS & EAD); 2010-06-28 (AOS & EAD);

2010-07-09(AOS only); 2010-07-10 (AOS ONLY);

EAD card production ordered : 2010-07-21

Touched: 2010-07-22(EAD ONLY)

EAD RECEIVED IN MAIL: 2010-07-30

GC APPROVED & PRODUCTION ORDERED: 2010-08-31

AOS TOUCHED: 2010-09-01 (2nd production notice)

2010-09-03(post decision activity)

2010-09-04(welcome letter received)

AOS TOUCHED: 2010-09-04

GC RECEIVED: 2010-09-07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.