BULLWINKLE

Canada/US Dual Citizenship & Passport

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Once AOS is complete, do I apply for a US passport? Or do I just keep my Canadian passport and travel with that? Or can I carry a Canadian and US Passport?

Any insight is appreciated! :)

07-2006 Met my sweetheart!!!

01-25-10 Entered the USA on student visa

05-28-10 Married!!!! <3

06-16-10 I693 Medical prepared and sealed

07-14-10 AOS Packet couriered to Chicago

07-16-10 AOS Packet received! Signed by S. Bush :)

07-23-10 CHECK$ CA$HED!!!!! So happy to see money leave my bank account!!!!

07-24-10 NOA received in the mail for AOS/EAD and hubby received AP for me :)

07-26-10 TOUCHED!!!

08-06-10 EAD & Alien Petition TOUCHED!!!

08-24-10 Service request submitted for Biometrics Letter.. waiting, waiting...

09-01-10 2nd service request call put in - Dallas ASC backed up and everything is on hold! :(

09-03-10 Infopass appointment set for September 17th

09-03-10 EAD TOUCHED!!! I might not need my Infopass appt. after all!

09-07-10 Another touch for EAD

09-08-10 EAD TOUCH again! woo hoo!

09-17-10 InfoPas appt @9am. EAD APPROVED on Sept 2.. but still waiting for biometrics

09-20-10 3rd service request to USCIS, escalated to IO. still no bio appt

09-28-10 AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

09-29-10 4th service request to USCIS, useless convo with IO

09-30-10 AP received and signed by USCIS, J.Chyba

10-04-10 Another useless convo with IO

10-06-10 Letter sent to Congressman

10-10-10 Letter sent to Senator

10-11-10 AP Touch

10-13-10 Email received, AP approved :)

10-15-10 Useless SECOND Infopass appt. and useless AP without biometrics

10-16-10 I-512L AP Doc arrived in the mail

10-18-10 Another USELESS call to USCIS

10-19-10 Got my biometrics appt for Nov 3rd!!! early walk in complete 10-20 *SEE ABOUT ME PAGE FOR MORE TIMELINE INFO!*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It looks like from your timeline you are adjusting status from an F-1 to a permenant resident. The key here is permenant resdient, you will not become a citizen.

Once you have been an LPR for 3 years, you may then apply for citizenship

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

You will have to travel with your Canadian passport until you get a US passport. You'll get a US passport once you become a US citizen. The earliest that can happen is 3 or 5 years after you become a Lawful Permanent Resident.

Luckily for you, for Canadian citizens it's no problem to hold two citizenships, so you will always have to use your US passport when leaving or entering the US, and have to use your Canadian passport when entering or leaving Canada. Outside those two countries you have a choice on what passport to use.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

After nearly 200 years of free travel between the USA and Canada, that was all changed by the mere stroke of a pen with an executive order. Another stroke of the pen can change all that back to the way it was. If that happens, won't have to be concerned about carrying two passports.

Once AOS is complete, do I apply for a US passport? Or do I just keep my Canadian passport and travel with that? Or can I carry a Canadian and US Passport?

Any insight is appreciated! :)

Hi Bullwinkle,

Lol...As a Canadian and have "been there, done that"....let me take a crack at answering this question...

Once your AOS is complete you will have a US 2yr Green Card. And then 2 years later you will do a ROC (removal of conditions) and will have a US 10yr Green Card. Throughout this time, you will still be a Canadian citizen and a US permanent resident, and will travel with a Canadian passport and a US green card. Travelling with both of these documents, you should have no problems.

You can then choose to apply for US Citizenship, based on the 3yr or 5 yr rule (see VJ guides and USCIS website for more info). But this is optional, and you will have to carefully consider such a decision. When you apply for US Citizenship, you will get a certificate of citizenship and will become a US Citizen. And from there, you can apply for a US Passport, as US passports are only available for US Citizens..

Now, as far as Canada is concerned, you are still a Canadian citizen, as Canada allows dual/multiple citizenships and as a Canadian citizen you can still carry a Canadian passport (lol..I still do)...You are still a Canadian, unless you formally renounce such. And rest assured, once you have US Citizenship, you can still keep your Canadian citizenship, with no problems.

However, when entering the USA, you are considered an American citizen only, and will have to travel back to the USA with a US passport.

In other words..

Canada = Canadian citizen and American citizen

America = American citizen only

And like Just Bob said earlier...

"Luckily for you, for Canadian citizens it's no problem to hold two citizenships, so you will always have to use your US passport when leaving or entering the US, and have to use your Canadian passport when entering or leaving Canada. Outside those two countries you have a choice on what passport to use."

Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey too.

Ant

P.S. Feel free to join us on the "Canada" VJ forum to discuss more Canadian related issues too....VJ Canada Forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Oops...I meant 'Certificate of Naturalization' not 'Certificate of Citizenship'...

Lol..I'm getting my certificates mixed up.....:lol:

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

If you hold both a Canadian passport and a US passport - won't it create problems along the lines of the stamps in your passport? Also for records of entry and exit (I assume they record your history of travel electronically).

If I travel from the USA to Canada and enter Canada on a Canadian passport - then the Canadian passport will have the entry stamp and an electronic record of my entry will be created.

Then later when I travel back from Canada to the USA and I present a USA passport - the USA passport will have the entry stamp and an electronic record of my entry will be created.

Will this create a problem in general? That is, the USA will not know when exactly I left the country because there will be no record of my having entered into the foreign nation. There will be no electronic record in the foreign country's travel history and no stamp on my USA passport showing entry.

If the USA asks the question "How long were you away" is it possible they may flip through the passport book to verify your answer? When your answer does not produce a match electronically or in the book and they want you to satisfy the answer - what will happen when you show that you traveled on your Canadian passport to Canada, and traveling back to the USA using the USA passport?

CR-1 Visa Was Approved :-)

Entry Date to USA: 2/3/2011

12-10-2012 - Sent off I-751 packet visa USPS

I751 Was approved - 10 Year GC was granted

N-400 Progress

4/10/2014: Package Mailed
4/11/2014: Package Received
4/14/2014: Notice Date
x/x/2014: Biometrics appointment

Timeline

If you hold both a Canadian passport and a US passport - won't it create problems along the lines of the stamps in your passport? Also for records of entry and exit (I assume they record your history of travel electronically).

If I travel from the USA to Canada and enter Canada on a Canadian passport - then the Canadian passport will have the entry stamp and an electronic record of my entry will be created.

Then later when I travel back from Canada to the USA and I present a USA passport - the USA passport will have the entry stamp and an electronic record of my entry will be created.

Will this create a problem in general? That is, the USA will not know when exactly I left the country because there will be no record of my having entered into the foreign nation. There will be no electronic record in the foreign country's travel history and no stamp on my USA passport showing entry.

If the USA asks the question "How long were you away" is it possible they may flip through the passport book to verify your answer? When your answer does not produce a match electronically or in the book and they want you to satisfy the answer - what will happen when you show that you traveled on your Canadian passport to Canada, and traveling back to the USA using the USA passport?

Everybody that has to have dual passports can have that same question, simple answer is that our DOS partially created the problem, so its their problem, not ours. But so far, was never asked.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

What do you mean the DOS partially created the problem?

CR-1 Visa Was Approved :-)

Entry Date to USA: 2/3/2011

12-10-2012 - Sent off I-751 packet visa USPS

I751 Was approved - 10 Year GC was granted

N-400 Progress

4/10/2014: Package Mailed
4/11/2014: Package Received
4/14/2014: Notice Date
x/x/2014: Biometrics appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

First off they do not stamp your passport going into either country. Depending on how you arrive in Canada they may swipe your passport. Normally when I go home they just type in my license plate number. Second off if you hold both passports does it really matter how long you were gone? You are a citizen of both countries. The only time I think it would matter is if you are bringing items into either country as each one has a limit amount. If asked the question how long have you been gone just be honest. If the US really wants to know how long you have been gone, I am sure they can ask the Canadian side since the US/Canadian borders help each other out.

N-400

10/26/09 Sent application to Lewisville TX.

10/27/09 Rec'd Application signed by B. Conteh

10/29/09 Check cashed

11/02/09 Rec'd NOA date showing 10/29/09

11/09/09 Rec'd letter Bio Appointment

11/17/09 Bio Appointment 8am

11/20/09 Called FBI-Prints were sent back to USCIS same day.

12/03/09 Rec'd email from USCIS that the RFE was a mistake.

12/04/09 Rec'd email from USCIS saying that I have been transferred for an interview.

12/07/09 Rec'd letter for interview on 1/11/10 @11am in Fairfax, VA.

01/11/10 Interview completed. Passed test decision can't be made.

03/02/10 Contacted Senator's office...No reply yet!

03/04/10 Senator office called says can take up to 120 days.

04/12/10 Service request filed.

05/12/10 Contacted Senator's office again.

05/12/10 Told over the phone that I was approved. Believe it when I see it!

06/04/10 Senators office tells me the adjudicator who interviewed me thinks I have a criminal record. Send out all paper work showing no criminal record.

06/08/10 Leave for Canada

06/09/10 Get RCMP certificate showing no criminal record. Fax off to senators office.

06/23/10 Approved for Citizenship

06/24/10 USCIS contacts Senators office

06/28/10 Find out that I have been approved for citizenship and they are just waiting to schedule my oath.

07/12/10 Put in line for oath ceremony....wonder how long that will be!

08/18/10 Called USCIS confirmed they sent oath letter for 09/17/2010 at 9am.

09/17/10 Oath ceremony at 9am..... US Citizen!!!! Applied for passport.

Filed: Timeline

The Canadians and Americans do not get entry/reentry stamps due to the WHTI agreement. But even if they did, it does not matter. For example, I travel through Europe with my EU passport. I do not get stamped. However, if I present my Canadian passport, I get stamped. Not quite sure why your answer would not match your stamp, though. Why would your answer not match your stamp? :unsure:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Canadians and Americans do not get entry/reentry stamps due to the WHTI agreement. But even if they did, it does not matter. For example, I travel through Europe with my EU passport. I do not get stamped. However, if I present my Canadian passport, I get stamped. Not quite sure why your answer would not match your stamp, though. Why would your answer not match your stamp? :unsure:

I think people stamp passports randomly. I have gotten my US passport stamped in Canada before and other times I haven't. Flew to Mexico and they didn't bother stamping it either. I will see when I go to Europe what happens in a month or so. I had better get one...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

What do you mean the DOS partially created the problem?

New York and Michigan states came out with an enhance drivers' license permitting the holder travel to Canada and Mexico via land or sea in lieu of a US passport.

license533.jpg

As you can note, there is not a place of birth on these drivers' licenses, so you will be treated just like a natural born citizen when visiting Canada. The DOS putting your place of birth as Canada is kind of a dead giveaway, they will insist you maintain a Canadian passport as well. I am surprised the DOS even permits this, this should be their territory.

It far stricter to travel by air where a regular passport is required, this is because terrorists only travel by air. All this started when Bush felt the Canadians were too lax in examining potential terrorists. But so are we, I see guys that look like terrorists walk through inspection far easier than I can, and that is because the guards are afraid of getting slapped by the ALCU for profiling.

Would be nice if one little guy in Washington DC would stand up and ask if the billions of dollars we are now spending has kept out just one terrorist from Canada, all this was done by Bush as congress over the years has given the president more and more executive power. Perhaps without realizing our country is becoming a dictatorship just like the countries we condemn this practice on. But that is okay, we are the good guys. Ironically any terrorist that came into this country that did significant damage to it, came here legally. We really have a bunch of nuts running this country..

Hi Everyone,

Lol..Thanks NickD for posting the image of a NYS EDL! I have one of those (lol..though I don't look like the gal on the photo)....It's really cool to have one, and I highly recommend it if you are a frequent land border traveller between the USA and Canada.....It's really simple to get....Just prove US Citizenship and go to the local DMV...All done within 1-2 weeks...And it's valid for up to 8 years.....And it costs $85 (which includes the costs of a driver's license renewal too)

And as a bonus, it acts as a '2 for 1' deal...both a driver's license and cross-border document all in one...

Sigh...Wish they had this more states....

Ok...Now the answer regarding passport stamps...(from my experiences)....

Travel between Canada and the USA....There are no passport stamps....

And this is especially true for those who are citizens of both the USA and Canada....

So how can this be proven for citizenship and/or immigration purposes..you ask...

Well, you can't really....

The only way to do this is keep your own records.....calendar, scheduler, list, etc....

Just make a best estimate and write that down....

That's what I had to do for my citizenship application....

Nevertheless, my citizenship application got approved anyways....

And if they want to verify it themselves, they have access to that information...via their own government databases when the documents are scanned in at the border...so let them verify that..

And remember..Always tell the truth about travels and/or when confronted by immigration officials....

Oh and going into Canada...Declare...Canadian and American..

And coming back to the USA....Declare....American....

Hope this helps too.....

Ant

New York and Michigan states came out with an enhance drivers' license permitting the holder travel to Canada and Mexico via land or sea in lieu of a US passport.

As you can note, there is not a place of birth on these drivers' licenses, so you will be treated just like a natural born citizen when visiting Canada. The DOS putting your place of birth as Canada is kind of a dead giveaway, they will insist you maintain a Canadian passport as well. I am surprised the DOS even permits this, this should be their territory.

Lol...Which is one of the reasons why I prefered the EDL over the US Passport....No place of birth problems...

I do though "insist" on keeping my Canadian passport partly because of that place of birth issue....

So again, indirectly I am forced to keep my Canadian passport becasue I can't get an American one...

Oh well...I can use my EDL regardless to Canada.....Can't complain too much there.....

And yeah, those EDLs are really cool....Gotta love the DMV!

Lol..I have one, my husband has one...And I'm thinking about getting my son one (yes, they issue those to minors too)....

EDL is the way to go! :)

Ant

P.S. Here's another funny tidbit....It only takes the DMV 1-2 weeks to make a machine-readable card for cross-border travel purposes...Yet it takes the USCIS several months to make a green card with similar information for travel...What's the reasoning behind that...I don't know....Seems kind of inconsistent there.....

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.