BULLWINKLE

Canada/US Dual Citizenship & Passport

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

By the way, for more information about travel documents between the USA and Canada, you can read more here:

http://www.getyouhome.gov

Passports, EDLs, Nexus Cards, etc....All explained there...

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Oh and another note about passport stamps...

I've never had my Canadian passport stamped...(yes, it is "blank"...).....When I travel between Canada and the USA..

Lol..The only time I had it stamped was with my former passport during my POE (which they grilled us for 2 hours on and also issued a B-2 Visa..but that's another story)..

The point is...US and Canadian passports don't usually get stamped when travelling between these two countries...

However, they do scan the documents in...So yes, they have government records of your travels..

For example, when I go into Canada...My Canadian passport and American EDL (and formerly my green card when I still had it before citizenship) are scanned into the system...

And when I come back to the USA....My American EDL (and formerly my green card when I still had it before citizenship) are scanned into the system...

But I do not have any passport stamps or any other stamps or paper records of my trips....

So while they keep their electronic government records....You have to keep your own records too....

And as I said before...Don't lie and always tell the truth to immigration officials...

Hope this helps too. Good luck.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Oh and another note about passport stamps...

I've never had my Canadian passport stamped...(yes, it is "blank"...).....When I travel between Canada and the USA..

Lol..The only time I had it stamped was with my former passport during my POE (which they grilled us for 2 hours on and also issued a B-2 Visa..but that's another story)..

The point is...US and Canadian passports don't usually get stamped when travelling between these two countries...

However, they do scan the documents in...So yes, they have government records of your travels..

For example, when I go into Canada...My Canadian passport and American EDL (and formerly my green card when I still had it before citizenship) are scanned into the system...

And when I come back to the USA....My American EDL (and formerly my green card when I still had it before citizenship) are scanned into the system...

But I do not have any passport stamps or any other stamps or paper records of my trips....

So while they keep their electronic government records....You have to keep your own records too....

And as I said before...Don't lie and always tell the truth to immigration officials...

Hope this helps too. Good luck.

Ant

At least by doing some research, you found a way to work around it. Trying the same myself, but keep on running into deadends.

50 states, 50 different sets of laws, even with arguments whether the feds or the states should have the final say. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if we will need 50 different passports to travel from state to state.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I have to check my passport as to whether it was stamped or not last time I went to Canada.

If what you are saying is true and they do not always stamp your passport when going back and forth Canada/USA, then is there a way to REQUEST your complete travel history on that passport from some federal agency?

(I guess I am just trying to understand the whole process a little better. )

CR-1 Visa Was Approved :-)

Entry Date to USA: 2/3/2011

12-10-2012 - Sent off I-751 packet visa USPS

I751 Was approved - 10 Year GC was granted

N-400 Progress

4/10/2014: Package Mailed
4/11/2014: Package Received
4/14/2014: Notice Date
x/x/2014: Biometrics appointment

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I checked my USA passport and I received a stamp in it when traveling to Canada on July 9, 2009. In my passport pages I see a stamp upon entry into Canada with the name of the city in Canada I flew into. Then when I came back there is another stamp from Dept of Homeland Security when I re-entered the USA a few days later.

It has been about a year since this travel occurred - but still since the departments are still around, I would have at least some expectation to be stamped again if I ever travel to Canada and back

CR-1 Visa Was Approved :-)

Entry Date to USA: 2/3/2011

12-10-2012 - Sent off I-751 packet visa USPS

I751 Was approved - 10 Year GC was granted

N-400 Progress

4/10/2014: Package Mailed
4/11/2014: Package Received
4/14/2014: Notice Date
x/x/2014: Biometrics appointment

If what you are saying is true and they do not always stamp your passport when going back and forth Canada/USA, then is there a way to REQUEST your complete travel history on that passport from some federal agency?

Yes !

The USCIS does not but the DHS/TSA and the FBI has a joint database where they track every cross border movement of yours and also every single flight you have been on, regardless of it being domestic or international. This is not readily available information for anyone, they need a search warrant from a federal judge to access it, but you can request a transcript from it. You need to contact the TSA and the FBI, there are sample forms online on how to request it, takes about 9-14 months depending on who you are.

Timeline

Yes !

The USCIS does not but the DHS/TSA and the FBI has a joint database where they track every cross border movement of yours and also every single flight you have been on, regardless of it being domestic or international. This is not readily available information for anyone, they need a search warrant from a federal judge to access it, but you can request a transcript from it. You need to contact the TSA and the FBI, there are sample forms online on how to request it, takes about 9-14 months depending on who you are.

Did listen to a PBS radio program on this subject where the guest stated the majority of illegals in this country came here legally and overstayed their visa's or whatever. So if the DHS/TSA and the FBI has a joint database on travelers, apparently they are not doing anything about it. Guest said not that many were risking walking across a hundred miles across an Arizona dessert.

But when this really becomes an issue is when you are a LPR applying for citizenship, every trip you make outside of the USA for over 24 has to be documented, failure to report such trips can be a disaster. Its kind of like, you want to do everything legally a red flag is raised on you, US citizen spouse is automatically guilty of fraud and every little thing that goes wrong forgetting or not knowing to register for selective service, mistakingly given a voter registration card, concern about any traffic violations, being to loud at a party, etc. All these become major issues when applying for citizenship. But yet we have literally millions of people living and working here, getting all kinds of benefits, all illegally.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

As you can note, there is not a place of birth on these drivers' licenses, so you will be treated just like a natural born citizen when visiting Canada. The DOS putting your place of birth as Canada is kind of a dead giveaway, they will insist you maintain a Canadian passport as well.

I have never heard this nor have I ever had anyone insist the I maintain a Canadian passport before. I have travelled to Canada several times and never ever had this, nor have any of my friends. All it shows is your place of birth. No one will require to you hold a Canadian passport at all.

Now in some countries that don't look highly on giving up their citizenships (some former soviet republics I have heard) or some other African nations, then yes this might be an issue. But as far as Canada is considered, I am treated as an American everytime I cross over and so have many others I know that are in the same position as US citizens that happen to also have Canadian...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

bobby_kvisa- Yes, you can request for your travel records..As others have mentioned..

Try asking for it via the TSA and FBI..But it could take awhile and all the information might not be available

As far as citizenship and other USCIS processes/forms are concerned....

You just have to 'declare' those trips to Canada on the forms....

And it is up to them as to whether or not they check that against your passport and/or other travel documents...

In my case, I just wrote a detailed list of all of my frequent trips to Canada...

And they were ok with that only (heck, they didn't even want to see my passport)....

The bottom line is: If you are travelling..make sure keep your own records...Don't count on the USCIS and/or the government to keep such for you. And yes, do always tell the truth when dealing with immigration officials to...

I have never heard this nor have I ever had anyone insist the I maintain a Canadian passport before. I have travelled to Canada several times and never ever had this, nor have any of my friends. All it shows is your place of birth. No one will require to you hold a Canadian passport at all.

Now in some countries that don't look highly on giving up their citizenships (some former soviet republics I have heard) or some other African nations, then yes this might be an issue. But as far as Canada is considered, I am treated as an American everytime I cross over and so have many others I know that are in the same position as US citizens that happen to also have Canadian...

Warlord-Yes, I know that there is no law that says that Canadians have to maintain their passports....

So on that note, there is no legal requirement to have such (unlike other countries)...

But in my case...

I have to maintain my Canadian passport due to my former other birth country...As my Canadian passport has a 'blank' place of birth on it...And I feel safter travelling with such instead....I cannot get an American passport done in this way and I'm having other problems in getting an American passport...and hence, I still travel with a Canadian one instead...

It's not bad to travel with a Canadian passport and/or to travel as a Canadian....And interestingly enough, both my Canadian passport and my American EDL are scanned into the computer when I travel with both of these documents...So I guess I'm treated as both a Canadian and an American when I go to Canada (and treated as an American when I come back to America as only my EDL is scanned in then)...which is fine by me...

As for giving up citizenships in former countries..lol....This is an issue that I am dealing with my former birth country (not Canada...other country...)...They are not looking too highly upon that either...So this is yet another battle that I face and deal with...grr...Nevertheless I'll get this done in some way or other.....

Meanwhile, I'm happy being both a American citizen and Canadian citizen...:) And likewise, I hope you are happy being a dual citizen too, Warlord!

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Warlord-Yes, I know that there is no law that says that Canadians have to maintain their passports....

So on that note, there is no legal requirement to have such (unlike other countries)...

But in my case...

I have to maintain my Canadian passport due to my former other birth country...As my Canadian passport has a 'blank' place of birth on it...And I feel safter travelling with such instead....I cannot get an American passport done in this way and I'm having other problems in getting an American passport...and hence, I still travel with a Canadian one instead...

It's not bad to travel with a Canadian passport and/or to travel as a Canadian....And interestingly enough, both my Canadian passport and my American EDL are scanned into the computer when I travel with both of these documents...So I guess I'm treated as both a Canadian and an American when I go to Canada (and treated as an American when I come back to America as only my EDL is scanned in then)...which is fine by me...

As for giving up citizenships in former countries..lol....This is an issue that I am dealing with my former birth country (not Canada...other country...)...They are not looking too highly upon that either...So this is yet another battle that I face and deal with...grr...Nevertheless I'll get this done in some way or other.....

Meanwhile, I'm happy being both a American citizen and Canadian citizen...:) And likewise, I hope you are happy being a dual citizen too, Warlord!

Ant

Ant: Yeah my comment was more on the poster that mentioned they (US or Canada not sure) want to maintain a Canadian passport which is not true if you have your country of birth as Canada in a US passport when visiting Canada. Canadian Government states you should use your Canadian passport, but in no way is this mandatory or ever imposed (threats) at the Canadian border.

My friend from Uzbeckistan though does have issues when going back to her country as they don't look highly on someone from there using another countries passport. Other nations (Uganda) I believe will even enlist you in the army if they find out you are from there and never registered (regardless if you lived outside of there for years as another citizen).

So yes Ant, in your case you definately want to keep the Canadian passport and use that to travel to your home nation and not the US passport at all. But for us that only have to deal with Canada, we do not need to keep or maintain a Canadian passport to travel even if it states we are born in Canada on our US passports. Canada is pretty easy going unlike other places.

Well I don't know if I would be happy saying I'm dual. I just classify myself as American and only American...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Ant: Yeah my comment was more on the poster that mentioned they (US or Canada not sure) want to maintain a Canadian passport which is not true if you have your country of birth as Canada in a US passport when visiting Canada. Canadian Government states you should use your Canadian passport, but in no way is this mandatory or ever imposed (threats) at the Canadian border.

My friend from Uzbeckistan though does have issues when going back to her country as they don't look highly on someone from there using another countries passport. Other nations (Uganda) I believe will even enlist you in the army if they find out you are from there and never registered (regardless if you lived outside of there for years as another citizen).

So yes Ant, in your case you definately want to keep the Canadian passport and use that to travel to your home nation and not the US passport at all. But for us that only have to deal with Canada, we do not need to keep or maintain a Canadian passport to travel even if it states we are born in Canada on our US passports. Canada is pretty easy going unlike other places.

Well I don't know if I would be happy saying I'm dual. I just classify myself as American and only American...

I literally traveled to and from Canada hundreds of times, never asked for passport nor any form of ID. Both by car and plane. What I don't understand is what changed! Can someone explain that to me?

First off they do not stamp your passport going into either country. Depending on how you arrive in Canada they may swipe your passport. Normally when I go home they just type in my license plate number. Second off if you hold both passports does it really matter how long you were gone? You are a citizen of both countries. The only time I think it would matter is if you are bringing items into either country as each one has a limit amount. If asked the question how long have you been gone just be honest. If the US really wants to know how long you have been gone, I am sure they can ask the Canadian side since the US/Canadian borders help each other out.

Lissa,

your N-400 timeline makes my skin crumble . . .

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ya well it hasn't been an easy journey. I think the thing that pisses me off the most is that someone in the Washington DC office couldn't read English. What part of I don't have a criminal record do you not understand? After reading other posts and doing some researching myself, they really scrutinize you from head to toe during the N-400 process. So your time line is a little confusing. Are you a citizen as of the 14th of June or are you eligible to apply as of the 14th of June? Reason I ask is because it says on your profile naturalization pending. Hopefully our journeys will be over with soon, and we won't have to deal with immigration ever again!!!! (Touch wood of course).

Lissa,

your N-400 timeline makes my skin crumble . . .

N-400

10/26/09 Sent application to Lewisville TX.

10/27/09 Rec'd Application signed by B. Conteh

10/29/09 Check cashed

11/02/09 Rec'd NOA date showing 10/29/09

11/09/09 Rec'd letter Bio Appointment

11/17/09 Bio Appointment 8am

11/20/09 Called FBI-Prints were sent back to USCIS same day.

12/03/09 Rec'd email from USCIS that the RFE was a mistake.

12/04/09 Rec'd email from USCIS saying that I have been transferred for an interview.

12/07/09 Rec'd letter for interview on 1/11/10 @11am in Fairfax, VA.

01/11/10 Interview completed. Passed test decision can't be made.

03/02/10 Contacted Senator's office...No reply yet!

03/04/10 Senator office called says can take up to 120 days.

04/12/10 Service request filed.

05/12/10 Contacted Senator's office again.

05/12/10 Told over the phone that I was approved. Believe it when I see it!

06/04/10 Senators office tells me the adjudicator who interviewed me thinks I have a criminal record. Send out all paper work showing no criminal record.

06/08/10 Leave for Canada

06/09/10 Get RCMP certificate showing no criminal record. Fax off to senators office.

06/23/10 Approved for Citizenship

06/24/10 USCIS contacts Senators office

06/28/10 Find out that I have been approved for citizenship and they are just waiting to schedule my oath.

07/12/10 Put in line for oath ceremony....wonder how long that will be!

08/18/10 Called USCIS confirmed they sent oath letter for 09/17/2010 at 9am.

09/17/10 Oath ceremony at 9am..... US Citizen!!!! Applied for passport.

Timeline

I literally traveled to and from Canada hundreds of times, never asked for passport nor any form of ID. Both by car and plane. What I don't understand is what changed! Can someone explain that to me?

When is the last time you traveled to Canada? I know when I flew home last year they asked for my passport. You don't need a passport to get into Canada as long as you can prove that you are American.( By car not by air.) This is what I have been told several times by Canadian officials. I traveled back home last month and asked the same question. Unfortunately what has changed is 9/11 that made things more stringent when it comes to crossing the border. I grew up on the Canadian/American border and I remember the days where you could just drive across. There was no guard and It didn't say welcome to the US. The only way you knew you were in the US was that the roads were better but the houses were debilitated ( because of high NY state taxes.) You did have to check into the next customs office though. Today that is changed. Coming into Canada is a little easier I think then crossing into the States, but your still gonna be asked questions and ID.

Edited by lissa04

N-400

10/26/09 Sent application to Lewisville TX.

10/27/09 Rec'd Application signed by B. Conteh

10/29/09 Check cashed

11/02/09 Rec'd NOA date showing 10/29/09

11/09/09 Rec'd letter Bio Appointment

11/17/09 Bio Appointment 8am

11/20/09 Called FBI-Prints were sent back to USCIS same day.

12/03/09 Rec'd email from USCIS that the RFE was a mistake.

12/04/09 Rec'd email from USCIS saying that I have been transferred for an interview.

12/07/09 Rec'd letter for interview on 1/11/10 @11am in Fairfax, VA.

01/11/10 Interview completed. Passed test decision can't be made.

03/02/10 Contacted Senator's office...No reply yet!

03/04/10 Senator office called says can take up to 120 days.

04/12/10 Service request filed.

05/12/10 Contacted Senator's office again.

05/12/10 Told over the phone that I was approved. Believe it when I see it!

06/04/10 Senators office tells me the adjudicator who interviewed me thinks I have a criminal record. Send out all paper work showing no criminal record.

06/08/10 Leave for Canada

06/09/10 Get RCMP certificate showing no criminal record. Fax off to senators office.

06/23/10 Approved for Citizenship

06/24/10 USCIS contacts Senators office

06/28/10 Find out that I have been approved for citizenship and they are just waiting to schedule my oath.

07/12/10 Put in line for oath ceremony....wonder how long that will be!

08/18/10 Called USCIS confirmed they sent oath letter for 09/17/2010 at 9am.

09/17/10 Oath ceremony at 9am..... US Citizen!!!! Applied for passport.

Timeline

It is called the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) - an American law enacted in January 2007 and fully implemented by June, 2009. Canada does not require a passport for a US citizen to enter Canada - they just require proof of citizenship so will accept a birth certificate along with acceptable identification (eg a DL). The US, however, now requires everyone entering the US - US citizen and non-US citizen to use a passport to enter. There are a few exceptions which are listed as WHTI compliant documents. The enhanced DL that Ant has is one of these. The passport card issued by the US is another. The Wikipedia entry actually provides a pretty good explanation: http://en.wikipedia....avel_Initiative . So, THAT's what changed.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.