MSPtoYYZ

Fraud Prevention Unit

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Montreal Consulate:

We got to the consulate early, first in line. Met VJ member SupportGeek-hop I got that right, he came second. Nobody else came til much later, really long line by the time doors opened. We went throught security, got letter A and were told to wait for the guard to bring us upstairs. We waited upstairs for about an hour, then hubby was called up to window 10. The lady behind the window starting asking for hubby's docs. They had everything, but she kept saying she needed the translation of his birth certificate. He told her she had it, she insisted she didn't. I gave him the additional copy I had, and as she placed it in the stack of paper, right on top of the one they already had! She took hubby's fingerprints and told us to go sit down. About 45 minutes later, hubby was called to room seven. We started walking in, and the lady inside took one look at me and Chellie and said, "No, get out, I just want to talk to him. Go sit in front and wait." I gave hubby the evidence package and waited outside the room with Chellie. 5 minutes later hubby comes out, and I hear fire breathing dragon lady screaming, "No! No time, get out, fin, you take the paper and mail it!" I'm standing right there, so I ask hubby what the hell is going on. He said she needs my tax information-and I tell him it's right there in your hand, go give it to her. He said she wouldn't take it, and said she doesn't have time get out and you can mail it later. So we have to get out. So we are standing right there in the consulate with everything we need to get his visa, and we can't because she won't even look at the information.

So technically, we didn't even have an interview. We went to the post office on the way back to his cousin's place, and mailed the required docs. It said they will take up to 4 weeks to process, and maybe they will let us know if we get another interview date. I had a really bad feeling about the whole thing, because it didn't make any sense. When we got back to the apartment, I looked through some of the papers she had given back to hubby. She returned all of my previous tax year transcripts. I would not have brought this next point up, but I am wondering if it has any bearing on the reason why she was acting that way. On the bottom of the stack is a piece of paper that says: Routing Slip, and it is dated on the day NVC received all of our docs. It reads...From: Fraud Prevention-1, To: File Room. File Room is crossed out, and DK-1 is handwritten in. It has our USCIS and NVC case numbers, hubby's name, and the words 'Case Status: P4. There is a note section that reads "Petition reviewed and flagged by NVC Fraud Prevention Unit". Does anyone have any idea what this means?

OUR JOURNEY

Met: 5/18/07

Married: 2/7/08

I-130 mailed: 3/11/08

NOA 1: 4/22/08

NOA 2: 7/11/09

Received by NVC 8/12/09

DS 3032 submitted: 11/16/09

Paid I-864 Bill: 11/18/09

Paid IV Bill: 11/19/09

Mailed I-864: 11/20/09

Mailed DS-230: 1/12/10

RFE: 1/26/10

All Materials Received by NVC: 2/16/10

Case Complete @ NVC: 3/1/10

Interview Assigned: 4/15/10

AVR updated-Case forwarded to Montreal: 4/16/10

Medical in Toronto (Passed!): 5/10/10

Interview in Montreal: 5/20/10 -Nope, she refused to accept my '09 taxes, said we have to mail them in.

Forget it, I'm moving to Canada! ?/?/10

Ok...I might wait until next year to move. Something could happen...right?!!!?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm sorry dear! Hope someone can come here and give you some inputs. (F)

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Montreal Consulate:

We got to the consulate early, first in line. Met VJ member SupportGeek-hop I got that right, he came second. Nobody else came til much later, really long line by the time doors opened. We went throught security, got letter A and were told to wait for the guard to bring us upstairs. We waited upstairs for about an hour, then hubby was called up to window 10. The lady behind the window starting asking for hubby's docs. They had everything, but she kept saying she needed the translation of his birth certificate. He told her she had it, she insisted she didn't. I gave him the additional copy I had, and as she placed it in the stack of paper, right on top of the one they already had! She took hubby's fingerprints and told us to go sit down. About 45 minutes later, hubby was called to room seven. We started walking in, and the lady inside took one look at me and Chellie and said, "No, get out, I just want to talk to him. Go sit in front and wait." I gave hubby the evidence package and waited outside the room with Chellie. 5 minutes later hubby comes out, and I hear fire breathing dragon lady screaming, "No! No time, get out, fin, you take the paper and mail it!" I'm standing right there, so I ask hubby what the hell is going on. He said she needs my tax information-and I tell him it's right there in your hand, go give it to her. He said she wouldn't take it, and said she doesn't have time get out and you can mail it later. So we have to get out. So we are standing right there in the consulate with everything we need to get his visa, and we can't because she won't even look at the information.

So technically, we didn't even have an interview. We went to the post office on the way back to his cousin's place, and mailed the required docs. It said they will take up to 4 weeks to process, and maybe they will let us know if we get another interview date. I had a really bad feeling about the whole thing, because it didn't make any sense. When we got back to the apartment, I looked through some of the papers she had given back to hubby. She returned all of my previous tax year transcripts. I would not have brought this next point up, but I am wondering if it has any bearing on the reason why she was acting that way. On the bottom of the stack is a piece of paper that says: Routing Slip, and it is dated on the day NVC received all of our docs. It reads...From: Fraud Prevention-1, To: File Room. File Room is crossed out, and DK-1 is handwritten in. It has our USCIS and NVC case numbers, hubby's name, and the words 'Case Status: P4. There is a note section that reads "Petition reviewed and flagged by NVC Fraud Prevention Unit". Does anyone have any idea what this means?

I suspect the flagging happens fairly often but the mistake of letting you see that page doesn't. In my experience, in cases that are treated as if they are fraudulent, either the petitioner, beneficiary or both, have a pretty good clue as to why. In any event, only somebody intimately familiar with your case and lives would know why.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

That is the thing, I don't have a freaking clue! We did everything right, filed all the correct paperwork, made sure he didn't overstay when it was time for him to leave-even though we had a 2 month old daughter at that time! I wish I could say I did know why, but I think this is a case where somebody got their wires crossed.

OUR JOURNEY

Received by NVC 8/12/09

Interview in Montreal: 5/20/10 -Nope, she refused to accept my '09 taxes, said we have to mail them in.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Many things can tweak the dog of fraud into hounding you. It comes partly from country of origin and then they throw a few other things in to create a web of fraud. A good portion of the time it isn't true. However knowing that you have attracted the attention of the fraud unit means that you are going to fight every step of the way to get your visa. Our first interview went up in flames when Joseph couldn't provide DETAILS of my classified work. By the second interview they just threw some regrading racially charged comments at him and gave him a visa. (He actually laughed at the infamous Asian lady of Lagos ) Getting the visa was hell. However AOS was a piece of cake. I guess the exhausted their attempts to disprove the relationship during the visa portion and already know the answer of AOS. Sit down and go over what was said during the interview word by word and see at what point things went bad. Prepare to rebut these if you have to.

Good luck

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

That is the thing, I don't have a freaking clue! We did everything right, filed all the correct paperwork, made sure he didn't overstay when it was time for him to leave-even though we had a 2 month old daughter at that time! I wish I could say I did know why, but I think this is a case where somebody got their wires crossed.

You are ONE of the TWO people with intimate knowledge of your case. The case was flagged for a reason. It may not be a valid reason but if it is and you don't know, your spouse probably does.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Many things can tweak the dog of fraud into hounding you. It comes partly from country of origin and then they throw a few other things in to create a web of fraud. A good portion of the time it isn't true. However knowing that you have attracted the attention of the fraud unit means that you are going to fight every step of the way to get your visa. Our first interview went up in flames when Joseph couldn't provide DETAILS of my classified work. By the second interview they just threw some regrading racially charged comments at him and gave him a visa. (He actually laughed at the infamous Asian lady of Lagos ) Getting the visa was hell. However AOS was a piece of cake. I guess the exhausted their attempts to disprove the relationship during the visa portion and already know the answer of AOS. Sit down and go over what was said during the interview word by word and see at what point things went bad. Prepare to rebut these if you have to.

Good luck

Hubby says she asked where we met, how he came to US, how long he was there. Then she asked him for my 2009 taxes. He said he thinks she was angry because he took too long to give them to her, and she decided to end it there. I wasn't inside with him, so I don't know how it came to that.

OUR JOURNEY

Received by NVC 8/12/09

You are missing the point, the fraud didn't happen at the interview, it's something that myabe in someone background or history. You and hubby needs to sit and have a heart to heart talk. Maybe he does know or maybe it a mistake, but they saw a RED flag.

You said your husband had previous been in the US, something maybe flagged from there, we don't know, but you'll needs to look under every rock. Has someone flied for your husband before, and he just didn't mentioned it to you? These are the questions you needs to be asking?

Timeline

You are missing the point, the fraud didn't happen at the interview, it's something that myabe in someone background or history. You and hubby needs to sit and have a heart to heart talk. Maybe he does know or maybe it a mistake, but they saw a RED flag.

You said your husband had previous been in the US, something maybe flagged from there, we don't know, but you'll needs to look under every rock. Has someone flied for your husband before, and he just didn't mentioned it to you? These are the questions you needs to be asking?

Exactly. NVC is months before the interview and that's where the case was flagged. Something in foreign spouse's past has raised a red flag. (This could actually be in the past of somebody with the same name, which is why I said one of you PROBABLY has a clue.) Often these issues stem from misinterpretation of questions asked but sometimes they are facts intentionally concealed from the partner. Time for a heart to heart.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Which is why I was asking for details of questions asked/answered at the interview - to see if there was a hint as to why their file has been flagged.

It seems unlikely that he was asked how you met and how long he was in the U.S. and then asked for tax returns and was too slow so she went ballistic. Now, I say unlikely - because it's not as though this NEVER happens at the consulate interview.

However, as the file was flagged before the consulate stage one would assume that she would be questioning him more and in particular on whatever the subject is that you were flagged for in the first place.

As Push mentioned - it could be some mixup on their part, however I think it is really important that you two start brainstorming about what could have caused your file to be flagged.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.