ONN

How to Cancel or Withdraw K-1 Petition?

26 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, my fiance refused to come to the US two weeks before the interview.

The file is at the consulate and the interview is scheduled for next week.

I have a few questions:

• How do I cancel or withdraw my K-1 petition?
  • Does the consulate need a letter from me?
  • Can I send them an email now and send the letter in snail-mail?
  • Does the withdrawal letter need to be notarized?
  • Any sample letters?

Thank you.

Edited by ONN

Write a letter and fax it or email it to the embassy then send it snail-mail.

You can do the same to notify the USCIS but since they're already done with your case since it's in the embassy, not sure if you need to do this.

You can notarize it in your bank.

Letter can go:

US Embassy in XXXX

I hereby notify you that I no longer want to proceed with the processing of the fiancee petition - case number XXX000000, beneficiary name XX, DOB XXX, address XXXX.

Signed

petitioner.

I am not sure if you need to state your reason as I don't think it matters to them as long as you, the petitioner, are withdrawing the petition.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Write a letter and fax it or email it to the embassy then send it snail-mail.

You can do the same to notify the USCIS but since they're already done with your case since it's in the embassy, not sure if you need to do this.

You can notarize it in your bank.

Letter can go:

US Embassy in XXXX

I hereby notify you that I no longer want to proceed with the processing of the fiancee petition - case number XXX000000, beneficiary name XX, DOB XXX, address XXXX.

Signed

petitioner.

I am not sure if you need to state your reason as I don't think it matters to them as long as you, the petitioner, are withdrawing the petition.

No need to give a reason. For USCIS, notify them you are "withdrawing" the petition. You could simply include a copy of that letter faxed to the Consulate's IV unit.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

I hate when this happens, all of us are waiting for our visa to be approved and "NOW" she decides not to follow through. Note to everyone make sure you are willing to spend the rest of your lives together BEFORE you file for a K1 visa. This is very upsetting to me. Someone elses petition could have been approved and actually want to get married.

Filed: Other Timeline
I hate when this happens, all of us are waiting for our visa to be approved and "NOW" she decides not to follow through. Note to everyone make sure you are willing to spend the rest of your lives together BEFORE you file for a K1 visa. This is very upsetting to me. Someone elses petition could have been approved and actually want to get married.

That's kind of silly.

There are a lot of people who get approved at the consulate and then don't take the flight over.

And there are lots of people who come over, don't marry, and return home.

And there are lots of people who marry and then get divorced later.

Better to just worry about your own case and leave everybody else be.

Well, I'm sorry that you're bothered. That's all I can say because believe it or not even I wasn't the one who decided this. Thanks for understanding. I too went through more than eight months of waiting only to find myself at this.

That's kind of silly.

There are a lot of people who get approved at the consulate and then don't take the flight over.

And there are lots of people who come over, don't marry, and return home.

And there are lots of people who marry and then get divorced later.

Better to just worry about your own case and leave everybody else be.

Thank you for your kind words. Appreciate the thoughts.

Very selfish statement.

The OP is going through a distressing time and you ME ME ME'd.

Things change, people get scared, the reality of moving kicks in, relationships fall apart and we are talking about real lives and not a statistic so a little compassion wouldn't go a miss.

OP, do as others have said and take the steps to withdraw.

I am sorry this has happened. I wish you the best of luck with the future.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

i am so sorry for you. the same thing just happened to me this week. my fiance told me he wasn't 100% sure about moving here and getting married and he left me. after 8 months of love, 6 trips spent together, and so many future plans he is gone. our application is still in the uscis processing stage. i can't bring myself to withdraw it yet. best of luck to you.

The beneficiary can get cold feet when the reality hits him/her about making a major life change of moving to US and getting married. It is more common than I first thought based on the responses here. Filing all the paperwork, getting approved, setting embassy appt, sending final trip money and having it stolen...Happened to me, too, so i know how you feel. Bottom line: Better to know now, than after the marriage, so good move on doing a K1, and not tying the knot and having a big/legal problem to deal with to undo it. You can just kick the dust off your feet, and move fwd when you are ready and find a woman of solid character and who is deserving of you. Good luck.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You're all heart guy. :wow:

K-1,VSC, Moscow Consulate

I-129F sent:2009-06-04

NOA1: 2009-06-09

NOA2: 2009-09-16

NVC Received: 2009-09-17

NVC Left: 2009-09-22

Consulate Received: 2009-09-25

Medical: IOM, Moscow, 2009-12-07

Interview: 2009-12-08

Visa Received: 2009-12-14

Arrival to USA: 2010-01-15

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

I agree with you, we are adults and we should take reasponsabilitys fou ours decisions and behaviors, I cannt wait to see my husband again and have interview and be together

I-130 approved after 62 days

NVC journey

09-18-2009 entered in system NVC

09-22-2009 asigned case number

09-24-2009 mailed and e-mailed my 3032

09-29-2009 AOS shown paid

09-26-2009 recived AOS (AVR)

10-05-2009 accepted DS3032

10-05-2009 invoiced IV bill

10-13-2009 recived by email confirmation DS3032 (STRANGE)

10-16-2009 sent DS230

10-19-2009 AVR said some documents are missing and they are incomplete we got RFE false

10-21-2009 recived email for missing documents-checklist

10-19-2009 delivered DS230 by USPS

10-23-2009 AVR recived checklist

10-29-2009 log in fail - case complete confirmed official by OP

11-10-2009 medical exam passed

11-03-2009 papers forwarded to sarajevo embassy

12-09-2009 INTERVIEW SCHEDULED visa approved

14 December POE

29 December got green card

30 December got driving license

I agree with you, we are adults and we should take reasponsabilitys fou ours decisions and behaviors, I cannt wait to see my husband again and have interview and be together

these comments are rude and disgusting. do you have any idea how painful it is to love someone and then have them leave you when you were planning a life together? and then you can't even see them in person to try to make it better? have some compassion. your applications will get processed in their due time and i only hope you don't find yourselves in the same shoes.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm glad to see there at-least two ppl on this thread that have story book lives.

I hope your relationship never fails and you never to have to hear ppl say to you "You should have known better". This is not exactly the DMV here,

"Responsibilities" ??? Really??? Would it be responsible to marry into a love-less relationship purposes only? The OP is being responsible to trying to find out how to remove her case instead of let it just sit. That's about as proactive as it gets.

Immigration purposes *

K-1,VSC, Moscow Consulate

I-129F sent:2009-06-04

NOA1: 2009-06-09

NOA2: 2009-09-16

NVC Received: 2009-09-17

NVC Left: 2009-09-22

Consulate Received: 2009-09-25

Medical: IOM, Moscow, 2009-12-07

Interview: 2009-12-08

Visa Received: 2009-12-14

Arrival to USA: 2010-01-15

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I agree with Chris above.

1) as other stated, people change their minds, it happens! It happens in normal relationships all the time! People get engaged and then change their minds. They were not doing it so that your application would sit. Seriously, I just hope your relationships don't fall apart because believe it or not, it could happen!

2) She didn't end the relationship and even if she did, see number 1! But she didn't end it, and like Chris pointed out, she is being proactive! She is canceling the application when many many others would just let it sit there and cause more of a backup for others at that consulate!

To the OP....sorry this happened to you.

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.