elchivo

reschedule initial Adjustment of status interview

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

I have received my appointment for the initial interview at my local office. I will be having my religious wedding ceremony in Costa Rica on March 14. My appointment is scheduled for March the 13. I need to reschedule my interview appt. Does anyone have any experience with this? If I can't reschedule, what else can I do, to change the appointment?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have received my appointment for the initial interview at my local office. I will be having my religious wedding ceremony in Costa Rica on March 14. My appointment is scheduled for March the 13. I need to reschedule my interview appt. Does anyone have any experience with this? If I can't reschedule, what else can I do, to change the appointment?

Not me personally but it is reccomended to NOT change an AOS interview....

YMMV

Timeline

Everything I've read suggests not to reschedule the appt. It is more "convenient" to me to reschedule as alot of planning and money has gone into the wedding. Many people have also bought plane tickets to go, and asked for time off. So changing the wedding would be an inconvenience to all involved. I don't know if this is "sufficient reasoning to grant me a reschedule. I've thought about scheduling an appt. using the infopass system, and going to the local office and asking personally. I don't know if this would be helpful to me. I'm more worried that it would hurt my chances.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Everything I've read suggests not to reschedule the appt. It is more "convenient" to me to reschedule as alot of planning and money has gone into the wedding. Many people have also bought plane tickets to go, and asked for time off. So changing the wedding would be an inconvenience to all involved. I don't know if this is "sufficient reasoning to grant me a reschedule. I've thought about scheduling an appt. using the infopass system, and going to the local office and asking personally. I don't know if this would be helpful to me. I'm more worried that it would hurt my chances.

Infopass I think would be a good idea, at least for starters

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Not me personally but it is reccomended to NOT change an AOS interview....

Correct!!!

I have read of a few people who attempt to reschedule, and it does not get to the interviewing officer, so when the person does not show up to the original appointment time, they get a "NO-SHOW" and USCIS begins deportation procedures.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

That is not a good idea. You could face a lot of problems. I am sorry you are faced with such a dilema. Even though you have your appointment the day before the wedding, you still won't get your greencard in time to go to Costa Rica.

Filed: Timeline

A few years ago there was a VJ member who tried to reschedule his wives AOS interview because she was due to have her baby on that day. He made an infopass appointment at his local office and made a statement for the officer, he handed it in at the appointment. Two weeks after the interview date he got a letter in the mail, He thought it would be a rescheduled appointment, instead it was a letter telling his wife that as she had failed to show up for her interview her AOS was denied and she had 60 days to leave the US or file a motion to reopen her case if she had additional evidence to show why she had failed to attend the interview. It took them 14 months to sort it all out and thousands of dollars in lawyers fees and the cost of redoing the whole AOS from scratch. The were told at their second interview that the only reason USCIS will accommodate a rescheduled appointment is for a life or death situation.

Maybe your religious wedding is more important to you that your immigration status, only you can answer that one. I do know if it were me I would be attending that interview no mater what.

You may also want to remember that if you are out of the country when the case gets denied then any EAD or AP will be void from that date. so you may find you are refused re-entry to the US. So you would end up having to start from scratch with a spousal visa.

Your Call.

Edited by Kez/JWolf

we are facing the same problem..i will have my interview on march 12 and my husband cant be with me at the said date so we called uscis to rechedule it..they gave me a reference number for the service request and made an infopass appointment for next week just to be sure..i know that it is supposed to our priority but there are circumstances that are excusable..

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

N400 Timeline:

4/14/12- 3rd yr as PR

1/17/12- mailed packet

Biometrics-- waived

4/25/12- interview- passed & took my oath the same day!!-- US Citizen!!!

My N400 Journey took 3months & 8days!:)

• 3 weeks later...

i think the most logical choice would be to go to your interview on the 13th, then fly to Costa Rica immediately after the interview to make it in time for your wedding on the 14th. You can use advanced parole to get back into the USA after your wedding

04/20/2004 Got married in the Philippines, and lived between here and there

10/15/2008 Husband arrives in USA on B1/B2 Tourist Visa

12/19/2008 Sent I-130 & I-485 AOS package via USPS Priority

12/21/2008 Package delivered

12/26/2008 NOA's dated for I-1485, I-130, I-131, I-765

03/30/2009 Obtained Green Card

01/24/2012 Mailed in N-400 for Naturalization

01/31/2012 Check for $680 was cashed

http://www.businessbeanstalk.com

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
i think the most logical choice would be to go to your interview on the 13th, then fly to Costa Rica immediately after the interview to make it in time for your wedding on the 14th. You can use advanced parole to get back into the USA after your wedding

Actually if they get approved on the 13th, they can ask for a 'green card' stamp in their passport (I-551).

The stamp is proof that the applicant is now a permanent resident, therefore he/she would not need AP anymore

AOS Timeline (From H1-B)

09/27/2008 Sent AOS package (I-130/I-485)

09/28/2008 USPS delivered package

10/03/2008 NOA I-130, I-485

10/14/2008 Received Biometrics letter

10/16/2008 *TOUCH* I-130

10/17/2008 *TOUCH* I-130... The suspense!

10/25/2008 Biometrics appointment.. easy peasy!

10/27/2008 *TOUCH* I-485

12/29/2008 Interview Notice Date

03/02/2009 AOS interview.. Approved!

03/06/2009 Welcome letter received today! (Letter is postmarked March 4th)

01/05/2011 Applied for removal of conditions (I-751)

01/07/2011 USPS delivered package

05/19/2011 I-751 approved

10/15/2012 Applied for Naturalization (N-400)

I would not mess with the interview.

That should be paramount in getting done, when they request it.

Good luck in your choice!

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Oh my God my wife is going to have a stroke. I sent the USCIS the form to change our address and they didnt get it before we moved. Who knows when they mail these appointment letter and we moved out of state and the letter was sent to our old address and news to me is that they dont forward government mail so we missed her appointment and it was in early January and we are just now finding out. She came here on a K1 and got married and we are in a panic now. I scheduled an infopass appointment but i am not sure if that will be a good idea and tell her she has to leave because we didnt get the mail!! She will not understand that and I dont understand that too. Any help friends??????

June 8 they revieved it

June 18 '07 check cashed got WAC#

No NOA1, touches, or progress given

NOA2 approved Oct 17

NOA2 card copy in mail Oct 20 (Surprise to us)

Package sent from USCIS to NVC Nov 7. (called USCIS to get this)

Nov 15, I got email at 6:57pm that our package was sent to Rio from NVC.

DON"T WAIT FOR THEM TO SEND ANYTHING, CALL AND MAKE SURE THEY GOT IT.

IF THEY DO, GO AHEAD AND SEND IN ds230,ds2001, the pics, and copy of passport

USE SEDEX AND GET THE TRACKING NUMBER.

Interview Set: Jan 29. Found this out on the embassy website under VISA's. It shows a list of visa types including K1 and shows the interview dates.

Visa granted but they mailed it using their own package delivery service. Took a week. Have money when you go to the appointment. They may also make you go and get more photos taken if they dont like the pics you bring. Just relax and dress wark because they keep the place really cold. Make sure your financials mmet the criteria or they will eat you alive.

MARRIED March 22. Sent in $1,010 in fees to Chicago to get change of status, apply for advanced parole, and ability to work documentation. Things work faster now.

May 22'08: Biometrics appointment in Santa Barbara.

See Adriana's fashion designs at Myspace.com/byAdri

• 9 months later...
Timeline
I'm going throught something similar..

Can you let me know what happened?

I ended up making an info pass appt. That was NOT helpful. They didn't give me much information. In the end I wrote a delivery confirmed letter to the local field office explaining my circumstances and didn't hear back from them until after I got back from the wedding. The letter included all of the information from the request for an interview, as well as copies from the airfare of several people going. I told them that canceling the trip would be a financial burden, that would not be excused by the airlines and hotels.

I took my chances and was lucky. I only got a new appt in the mail and not a question about it was asked at the interview. Everything worked out. I read all of the horror stories on this post, and I don't know if it was just luck that it worked out for me.

Best of luck to you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.