Hi VJ members,
I'm trying to start completing the N-400 Form online to see what info I need to gather. I came across some queries and hope to get advice from you.
Part 2. Information about You
Q1. What is your current legal name?
"Your current legal name is the name on your birth certificate, unless it changed after birth by a legal action such as marriage or court order. Do not provide any nicknames here."
In my case:
- During the IR1 visa application, the legal name I used was the legal name used in my birth country (let's say, DOE, Mary-Ann Jane)
- When my IR1 visa was approved, and because I'm also a Canadian by naturalization, the IO at US Consulate allowed me to choose which passport to use for my IR1 visa. I chose to use my Canadian passport. My name on my Canadian passport is, say, DOE, Jane).
- My name on my Green Card is "DOE, Jane"
Based on how I followed the questions asked in the online form, it looks like that I should
- put "DOE, Mary-Ann Jane" as my current legal name
- put "DOE, Jane" when answering "What is your name exactly as it appears on your Permanent Resident Card?" and uncheck the box "The name on my Permanent Resident Card matches my current legal name."
- put "Canada" as the country of my citizenship or nationality
(A note for the question reads, "If you are a citizen or national of more than one country, provide the name of the foreign country that issued your last passport.")
Am I correct on the above?
And, when asked "Would you like to legally change your name?" Do I put "Yes" if I want to use the name appeared on my Green Card?