Stella08

Passport Card/Passport Book

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I want to apply for a passport as soon as possible after my oath. Now you have the choice of just getting a passport book, but you also can apply for a passport card. What would you use the card for? Is that money well spent or should I just stick with the book which I will need for international travel?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Passport card is only for travel within North America (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean) Passport book is for travel throughout the world.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

The passport book lets you do everything that the card would let you do and more. Definitely get the passport book. The only question is whether or not to get the passport card in addition.

The passport card is only for LAND and SEA travel to neighboring countries. It's not good for air travel at all.

I can think of two reasons why one might want the passport card, in addition to getting the passport book:

* It's easier to carry than the book. If you live close to Canada or Mexico and frequently cross the border, it would be more convenient to keep the passport card in your wallet than to carry a passport book all the time. Also, if you live in an area where you encounter frequent immigration checkpoints (usually near the border), the ease of carrying a passport card might be appealing, even though US Citizens aren't required to carry proof of citizenship while inside the US.

* It provides redundant proof of citizenship in case your passport book is lost.

If you don't live close to the border, I don't see much point in the passport card. If you don't get it now, but change your mind, you can get one later for $20.00, assuming you have your passport book.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Timeline

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I definitely intend to apply for the book since I try to see my family in Germany once a year. I was just considering applying for the card in addition to the book. But I don't live close to a border at the moment and actually I don't think I'll be asked for proof of citizenship too often (e.g. during a traffic stop). So the only point would be to have additional proof, in case my passport book gets lost. But then I still have my naturalization certificate. I think I'll save the money and just apply for the book. That's going to be a lot more than many Americans by birth have. :hehe:

Timeline
Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I definitely intend to apply for the book since I try to see my family in Germany once a year. I was just considering applying for the card in addition to the book. But I don't live close to a border at the moment and actually I don't think I'll be asked for proof of citizenship too often (e.g. during a traffic stop). So the only point would be to have additional proof, in case my passport book gets lost. But then I still have my naturalization certificate. I think I'll save the money and just apply for the book. That's going to be a lot more than many Americans by birth have. :hehe:

One note, if you are a US Citizen, you do not need to carry proof of citizenship within the USA, a DL is all that you need to carry if you are driving a car.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Timeline
Thanks for your replies.

One note, if you are a US Citizen, you do not need to carry proof of citizenship within the USA, a DL is all that you need to carry if you are driving a car.

Yes, I know. I'm just wondering how a cop knows/confirms who is a citizen and who is not. I mean, any illegal alien could just state that he/she is a citizen and that would be that (if he wouldn't be held for any other crime).

Timeline
Yes, I know. I'm just wondering how a cop knows/confirms who is a citizen and who is not. I mean, any illegal alien could just state that he/she is a citizen and that would be that (if he wouldn't be held for any other crime).
Police officers do not enforce immigrations law, so for a routine traffic stop they are just concerned with the reason they stopped you.

I am a US citizen and all I carry is a driver's license.

I want to apply for a passport as soon as possible after my oath. Now you have the choice of just getting a passport book, but you also can apply for a passport card. What would you use the card for? Is that money well spent or should I just stick with the book which I will need for international travel?

In my case, I applied for both.

It costs $20 more, but since I had a habit to carry "Greencard" in my wallet, I asked for passport card, and carried in my wallet.

Technically if you have passport book, you don't need passport card.

But in reality, I'm not comfortable when I have nothing in my wallet for immigration status.

Yes, checking against social security number or driver license should show your US citizenship.

But I rather carry the proof by myself instead of depending on some computer, which may be screwed up.

Dealing with USCIS for more than 10 years left pretty much little belief in government system, I guess. :whistle:

Absolutely correct. And you don't even need a drivers license if you're not actually driving. No ID at all is required just to be a passenger or pedestrian.

Furthermore, even if you're stopped for a traffic violation or similar thing, most police officers won't know or care much about your immigration or citizenship status.

I don't personally know any US Citizen who routinely carries around proof of his/her citizenship status while inside the US. However, there are places where immigration raids are common, and I've definitely seen ICE checkpoints north of the Mexican border where they stop all traffic, while looking for illegal aliens. Although proof of US citizenship isn't required, if you live in a place where you've run into overzealous ICE agents before, I can see where you might feel more comfortable carrying a passport card in your wallet just as a guarantee to make sure you don't have any future problems. That's especially true if you think you fit a profile that might be targeted by ICE agents (they're not supposed to do racial profiling, but realistically I can't help believing they do, at least to some extent). So if it makes you feel better, carry proof of citizenship, but realize that it is not required.

Or you could take the position that, since it's not required, you should avoid carrying documents that make the agents' lives easier. If they infringe upon your legal right as a US Citizen to be in public without ID, you may be able to file a nasty lawsuit against them, perhaps with the help of the ACLU.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable and patriotic.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you're ordering both the passport and passport card, how many photos do you need to submit?

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

If you're ordering both the passport and passport card, how many photos do you need to submit?

From the passport book FAQ

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_c..._card_3921.html

How many photos are required when applying for both the passport book and passport card on the same application?

Two photos are required.

Timeline

Absolutely correct. And you don't even need a drivers license if you're not actually driving. No ID at all is required just to be a passenger or pedestrian.

Furthermore, even if you're stopped for a traffic violation or similar thing, most police officers won't know or care much about your immigration or citizenship status.

I don't personally know any US Citizen who routinely carries around proof of his/her citizenship status while inside the US. However, there are places where immigration raids are common, and I've definitely seen ICE checkpoints north of the Mexican border where they stop all traffic, while looking for illegal aliens. Although proof of US citizenship isn't required, if you live in a place where you've run into overzealous ICE agents before, I can see where you might feel more comfortable carrying a passport card in your wallet just as a guarantee to make sure you don't have any future problems. That's especially true if you think you fit a profile that might be targeted by ICE agents (they're not supposed to do racial profiling, but realistically I can't help believing they do, at least to some extent). So if it makes you feel better, carry proof of citizenship, but realize that it is not required.

Or you could take the position that, since it's not required, you should avoid carrying documents that make the agents' lives easier. If they infringe upon your legal right as a US Citizen to be in public without ID, you may be able to file a nasty lawsuit against them, perhaps with the help of the ACLU.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable and patriotic.

Makes me think of that funny Cheech Marin movie "Born in East L.A." :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092690/

BorninEastLA.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Just apply for the passport book and carry it with you only when you travel internationally.

A passport card makes some sense only when traveling very often to Canada or Mexico by car, otherwise it's another (useless) legal document that you could worry about in case you lose it.

Just my 2 cents.

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

You can get both the card and the passport book. We plan to do so after Mary is a citizen for the simple purpose of having an easy to carry proof of citizenship. Just keep the card in your wallet with your drivers license and you always have proof of citizenship.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

When I ( USC by birth) renewed my passport I got the card as well. My reason is that if I were to go to Canada or Mexico (or Carribbean by boat) in the future the card is easier to carry than that book. Plus I figured that it was great back up if I ever lost the book and had to go through the replacement process.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.