kzumel

candian police certificate

34 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband is in Brazil, immigrating to the US. He lived in Montreal for a year and we need to get his police certificate. I see the RCMP website saying we need to submit finger prints and wait 150 days plus. I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible for me to come to Montreal as his wife and get his police certificate from the local police there? Or, is there any other way to expedite this process?

Thank you in advance for your help...

Kirsten

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

He doesn't need to give fingerprints, as that is for a "certified criminal record check". What he needs is a police certificate. Even for that though, it looks like he has to apply for it in person: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/qc/faq/faq-eng.htm#2

However, I would call one of the local offices first just to ensure that he can't do it by mail.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

I believe that you do have to have the fingerprints based police check from the RCMP. The US consulates in Canada are probably the only ones that will accept the certified criminal record check mentioned by eyoa.

I immigrated through Bermuda but had lived in Canada for 15 years. The consulate in Bermuda required my Canadian police check to be fingerprints based. I was I contact with a K-1 couple going through Japan and the US embasy there also required the finger-prints based one. I would contact the US embassy in Brazil to be absolutely sure what is required.

The 150 day timeline only applies when you send ink and paper fingerprints. If you send fingerprints electronically, you'll get the check in a few weeks. Here's the info from the RCMP site:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr2-eng.htm

Paper-based fingerprint submissions:

Paper-based fingerprint submissions require a great deal of manual processing and it is not uncommon for a criminal record verification to take an average of 120 days to complete for individuals who don’t have a criminal record and have never been fingerprinted for a criminal offence in Canada. If a criminal record is encountered during the verification process, the turnaround time could exceed 120 days.

Electronic fingerprint submissions:

In an effort to process criminal verification requests more quickly, the RCMP is implementing the Real Time Identification (RTID) Project to modernize these processes and promote electronic fingerprint submissions. The goal of CCRTIS is to respond to 85% of civil requests (those that do not hit a criminal file) submitted electronically within 72 hours. If a criminal record is encountered during the verification process, the turnaround time could exceed 120 days. You may enquire at your local police service about electronic fingerprinting. If they do not perform this service, they may be able to refer you to approved private firms. These firms can also be located in local yellow pages and internet searches using the term 'fingerprinting services canada.’

Before you make inquiries about your request, make sure you’ve taken into account not only the time it takes to process your request but also the time it takes to mail it to you.

Timeline

Sorry I tried to edit my post but it wouldn't let me. Here's the rest:

The catch is that electronic fingerprinting has to be done in person in Canada and they will only mail the certificate to Canada or the US. You could get his fingerprints done with a company like Commisionaires (http://www.commissionaires.ca/services/police-clearances.html) and have the result mailed to you instead of your husband.

~ Catherine

I am a Canadian, living in New Zealand these past 16 years. I needed to submit fingerprints. That involved making an appointment at the local police station here, which took a few weeks, and having prints taken.

I sent those on to an agency in Canada that acted on my behalf, seeing as I am quite a way from there.

They sent my fingerprints on to the RCMP, and four months later the police clearance was sent to me.

http://www.policecheck.com/services.html#link2

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Outside Canada

Applicants who are not physically present in Canada must obtain a Certified Criminal Record Check by sending a duplicate set of fingerprints (taken by a local police force) to the RCMP.

From the Canada Wiki

Outside Canada: Applicants who are not physically present in Canada must obtain a Certified Criminal Record Check by sending a duplicate set of fingerprints (taken by a local police force) to the RCMP. Fingerprint submissions must include the following:

rolled and flat impressions of all ten fingers taken with black ink (may use a standard FD-258 FBI fingerprint card)

full name, date of birth, and sex of the applicant

the name and address of the police agency taking the fingerprints

the signature of the official taking the fingerprints

the reason for the fingerprint submission (U.S. visa)

the processing fee of CAD 25.00 or USD 18.00, payable to the "Receiver General for Canada" by certified check or money order.

Fingerprint submissions should be sent to: RCMP, Civil Fingerprint Screening Services, P.O. Box 8885, Ottawa, ON, K1G 3M8. Additional information is available online. From the Reciprocity Schedule - travel.state.gov

Edited by trailmix

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I have thwarted the Canadian system!!! Hahaha! They contract with other agencies, including Commissionaire. I contacted them and they will do a name based criminal record check (CPIC) and send the results within 2 weeks. I contacted them through the main office in Ottawa and they emailed the forms and instructions. You then have to email them a credit card for payment. I will take the 2 weeks over 6 months wait any time!

Thank you everyone for all your help. This result is proof that the law of attraction works..........and I am grateful to the universe for making it possible for my husband to get here sooner.

Kirsten

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams

Timeline

I'm surprised that the US consulate in Brazil will accept the name-based check in place of the fingerprints based one when the ones in Bermuda, New Zealand and Japan will not. Did you contact the embassy in Braxil to be sure?

~ Catherine

Timeline

Ya like bermy states, its no problem obtaining a police cert without the finger prints (wiinipeg police force wil mail you one as well) but the question is will the consulate accept it without the finger prints! Hope it works out

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Ya like bermy states, its no problem obtaining a police cert without the finger prints (wiinipeg police force wil mail you one as well) but the question is will the consulate accept it without the finger prints! Hope it works out

Yes, I agree with bermy and flames - the problem is not in getting the name check - the problem is that - as stated in the Reciprocity Schedule from the Department of State - because he is out of the country he needs the fingerprint version.

Outside Canada: Applicants who are not physically present in Canada must obtain a Certified Criminal Record Check by sending a duplicate set of fingerprints (taken by a local police force) to the RCMP.

Timeline

If it were I, I would keep what you have and go with that, AND in the mean time, get your finger prints done, just in case, that way your not waiting longer then you have to. But thats me! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

How far in advance can you get the police record? We are still waiting for our NOA2, but I'm wondering if he could go ahead and get this done now, since it doesn't seem to be quick process?

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Timeline
How far in advance can you get the police record? We are still waiting for our NOA2, but I'm wondering if he could go ahead and get this done now, since it doesn't seem to be quick process?

The police certificate is good for a year - the name check version is pretty quick - it's the fingerprint version that takes time. If he has no criminal record and he lives in Canada, the Canada wide name check will suffice.

• 3 weeks later...
I have thwarted the Canadian system!!! Hahaha! They contract with other agencies, including Commissionaire. I contacted them and they will do a name based criminal record check (CPIC) and send the results within 2 weeks. I contacted them through the main office in Ottawa and they emailed the forms and instructions. You then have to email them a credit card for payment. I will take the 2 weeks over 6 months wait any time!

Thank you everyone for all your help. This result is proof that the law of attraction works..........and I am grateful to the universe for making it possible for my husband to get here sooner.

Kirsten

Hi Kirsten

Please keep us updated as to whether the name based check is accepted - I may have to apply for one too (lived in Canada for 11 1/2 months so may get away with it...) so this would be very helpful, otherwise I think I'll have to fly to Canada! Good luck :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.