one...two...tree

California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

By Evan Halper , LA Times

Reporting from Sacramento -- State Controller John Chiang announced today that his office would suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants and other payments owed to Californians starting Feb. 1, as a result of the state's cash crisis.

Chiang said he had no choice but to stop making some $3.7 billion in payments in the absence of action by the governor and lawmakers to close the state's nearly $42-billion budget deficit. More than half of those payments are tax refunds.

The controller said the suspended payments could be rolled into IOUs if California still lacked sufficient cash to pay its bills come March or April.

"I take this action with great reluctance," Chiang said at a news conference in his office. But he said that without action to close the deficit, "there is no way to make it through February unscathed."

The payments to be frozen include nearly $2 billion in tax refunds; $300 million in cash grants for needy families and the aged, blind and disabled; and $13 million in grants for college students.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bu...story?track=rss

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

isnt those kind of things insured?

Emmett Fitz-Hume: I'm sorry I'm late, I had to attend the reading of a will. I had to stay till the very end, and I found out I received nothing... broke my arm.

I am glad I changed my W4 for this year, my refund would have been next to nothing anyway. I have heard the state employees may have to start accepting IOUs from the state. ugh!

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I am glad I changed my W4 for this year, my refund would have been next to nothing anyway. I have heard the state employees may have to start accepting IOUs from the state. ugh!

:blink:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

#######!? These people are sacrificing the needy, and protecting the rich. I will possibly make a prediction that more violence and robbery will ensue. Neglecting the blind, and disabled? That is by far the worse solution.

Cutting off money to college students? That is also a bad thing. Looks like the US will not be a working country. They already have tons of millionaires in California. What is wrong with them? They could possibly save all of this from happening.

My suggestion is to move to another state, or another country.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Timeline

I am thinking if one needs welfare they maybe will not be able to move. Like I feel sorry for a bunch of leeches.

Oh well have to agree that many need to learn how to do with less. I am glad California is in the lead on not going with a drficit. Either raise the taxes or reduce the government.

Timeline
I am thinking if one needs welfare they maybe will not be able to move. Like I feel sorry for a bunch of leeches.

Oh well have to agree that many need to learn how to do with less. I am glad California is in the lead on not going with a drficit. Either raise the taxes or reduce the government.

Here's the situation that will surprise everyone who is against welfare. Alot of correctional officers around the country needs welfare (or state supplemental aid), food stamps, etc...It's not this occupation, many other hazardous occupation gives you these benefits.

The reason why correctional officers get these benefits is because they are underpaid, work in a job that will mean death with one stupid mistake.

I wouldn't be so selfish as to eliminate welfare. There are only a select few who abuses the system.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Here's the situation that will surprise everyone who is against welfare. Alot of correctional officers around the country needs welfare (or state supplemental aid), food stamps, etc...It's not this occupation, many other hazardous occupation gives you these benefits.

The reason why correctional officers get these benefits is because they are underpaid, work in a job that will mean death with one stupid mistake.

I wouldn't be so selfish as to eliminate welfare. There are only a select few who abuses the system.

send the California welfare recipients to these states and makie em prision guards.

Woulnt work tho.....most of the ppl on welfare in Calif wouldnt work even if you gave them a job. People used to come to California just for the welfare, since their home state wouldnt.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Maybe they will give up thier crack, drug and ho habits out there in neverland!!

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Timeline

We look at the the abusers and try to punish them with no regards to those who are not abusing the system. Nice! :D

CA surely needs those cuts.

Edited by Niels Bohr

I can wait for my IOU to turn into cash. Seriously though, I do understand the need to balance the books, but it seems as though the Dems and Arnie are locked in a game of brinkmanship on this with the state employees the first to lose.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .