slt0059

K1 Visa Denied for Drugs-3 year ban

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I rarely log onto this website but thought I would share our story with each of you reading. I want to see if anyone out there can give me their advice IF THEY HAVE BEEN IN OR KNOW SOMEONE in our situation and eventually got approved and now in the US. I'm sorry, but please do not reply otherwise. I have only met one person on here that has been through this with her husband they just got approved last year after waiting the 3 years. After searching and searching, it is hard finding people that have been in this situation and have actually waited out the 3 years to get approved. I have yet to find any lawyers that give me a good answer as to what to do. All immigration laywers tell me this has never happened to thier clients. However, I find that very hard to believe!! We never filed an appeal or anything because all I heard was it is a waste of time and money.

Nevertheless, here is a bit about our situation:

My fiance was denied his K1 Visa in April 2008 for admitting to previous drug use in his life. There is no way that his drug test were positive-it was way too far back in his life. They simply denied him for admitting he previously did them.(positive or negative) He was given the three year ban. It sucks these men tell the truth and yet are punished emmensly for it. If I had to do it again though, I would still tell my fiance to tell the truth. When it is all said and done, I want my children one day to know we went about it the right way. We are supposed to call back to the office in Ciudad Juarez on April/May of 2011 to make another appointment. I quite my job in Dallas, packed up and moved down here in Playa Del Carmen to be with him. I have a job down here so it isn't so bad. However, I will move back at the end of 2009 so I can get a job in Texas again to prove that I have income in the states. Nevertheless, my fiance began doing the random drug test every other month for proof when we do go back. I would just like to get some words of advice and recommendations on what others in this situation did to get eventually approved. Thanks in advance and look forward to the replies!

K1 Visa Process

12/24/07-Engaged to my fiance

4/17/08-Went for his K1 Interview in Juarez and was given the 3 year ban

11/22/10-Called Operator and was told about the new 1yr vs 3 yr ban. Scheduled a new appt.

1/10/11-Called new # and was given Visa appt for Feb 4,2011!!!

2/4/11-Visa Interview at 1:15PM

2/8/11-3rd Interview at 8:00AM-APPROVED!!

2/9/11-Received DHL Package with Visa

2/10/11-Crossed the border and flew into DFW

AOS and EAD Process

2/20/11-Got Married

3/1/11-Filed for SS Card

3/3/11-Mailed in AOS and EAD paperwork

3/14/11-Recieved NOA for AOS and EAD

3/18/11-Case Transferred to CSC

3/21/11-Received SS Card

3-23-11-Received NOA for AOS Transfer to CSC

3-28-11-Received Biometrics Appt for EAD and AOS(Scheduled for 4/22/11)

4-22-11-Biometrics

4-26-11-EAD Card Production Ordered

5-6-11-EAD Card Arrived

5-9-11-Greencard APPROVED(No Interview)

5-13-11 Greencard Arrived!

Done until 2013!! :-)

You may want get some legal advice from an attorney.

PM me for any AP or AR relating to the NBI

USEM NBI Requirements:

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3217.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Go to http://www.tindallfoster.com -- the largest Immigration Law firm in Houston -- and sign up for their (very reasonable) e-mail consultation. Request their attorney Mark Cross, who served as a vice-consul in Venezuela for five years. If you're assigned to a different primary attorney, Mr. Cross will almost certainly be copied on your correspondence. I can guarantee you that you will get far, far more from your e-mail consultation fee than you ever dreamed. Good luck, si man.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks for all of the info. I have actually found this website from many woman going through the same situation. They have told me how they got through it, evidence they brought to the 2nd intervew,etc.

http://www.smf.juarez-mexico.com

Also, Laurel Scott does free chats on this same website every Wednesday at 11AM I believe.

K1 Visa Process

11/22/10-Called Operator and was told about the new 1yr vs 3 yr ban. Scheduled a new appt.

AOS and EAD Process

2/20/11-Got Married

3/1/11-Filed for SS Card

3/21/11-Received SS Card

4-22-11-Biometrics

5-6-11-EAD Card Arrived

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Look, I know you probably get asked this a thousand times, and yes, I've read your statement about wanting to be honest and tell your kids that you did things "the right way", and you have my upmost respect for that. Also, please understand that I'm not one of these pious wankers that sits in judgement on others - we all make mistakes. And if you want to tell me to get lost, then fine, more power to you

But seriously..............why?????? Sometimes you've gotta keep stupid #### you did in the past exactly there - in the past. So you can have the future you want. Man, if everyone on VJ admitted to USCIS all the ####### they'd done in the past, then there would be no issue with a logjam of applications!!

Having said all that, I wish you all the very best, seriously I do.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
I rarely log onto this website but thought I would share our story with each of you reading. I want to see if anyone out there can give me their advice IF THEY HAVE BEEN IN OR KNOW SOMEONE in our situation and eventually got approved and now in the US. I'm sorry, but please do not reply otherwise. I have only met one person on here that has been through this with her husband they just got approved last year after waiting the 3 years. After searching and searching, it is hard finding people that have been in this situation and have actually waited out the 3 years to get approved. I have yet to find any lawyers that give me a good answer as to what to do. All immigration laywers tell me this has never happened to thier clients. However, I find that very hard to believe!! We never filed an appeal or anything because all I heard was it is a waste of time and money.

My fiance was denied his K1 Visa in April 2008 for admitting to previous drug use in his life. There is no way that his drug test were positive-it was way too far back in his life. They simply denied him for admitting he previously did them.(positive or negative) He was given the three year ban. It sucks these men tell the truth and yet are punished emmensly for it. If I had to do it again though, I would still tell my fiance to tell the truth. When it is all said and done, I want my children one day to know we went about it the right way. We are supposed to call back to the office in Ciudad Juarez on April/May of 2011 to make another appointment. I quite my job in Dallas, packed up and moved down here in Playa Del Carmen to be with him. I have a job down here so it isn't so bad. However, I will move back at the end of 2009 so I can get a job in Texas again to prove that I have income in the states. Nevertheless, my fiance began doing the random drug test every other month for proof when we do go back. I would just like to get some words of advice and recommendations on what others in this situation did to get eventually approved. Thanks in advance and look forward to the replies!

Hello, I'm just curious. My husband was given a permanent ban for doing the same thing, he admitted experimenting with drugs a long time ago. How old was your fiance when he got denied?

Timeline

Hi Gonzaga,

My fiance is 29. Send me a personal message if you would like on here. I can tell you more about what I have learned from other couples that went through process and their advice.

Desert Fox-We know there is not a waiver for this ban.

Damien P-Congrats on the visa. In regards to keeping **** in the past, I'm sorry but it is not that easy when the officer was up in my fiances face harassing him and literally treating him like an animal!

K1 Visa Process

AOS and EAD Process

2/20/11-Got Married

3/1/11-Filed for SS Card

3/21/11-Received SS Card

4-22-11-Biometrics

5-6-11-EAD Card Arrived

Filed: Country: Norway
Timeline
In regards to keeping **** in the past, I'm sorry but it is not that easy when the officer was up in my fiances face harassing him and literally treating him like an animal!

Doesn't matter now anyway, at least he won't be accused of lying about it at some future interview now that it's all out in the open. Covering things up can be a slippery slope, what's done is done.

Another site you may want to check out is http://immigrate2us.net The majority of people on this site has people with spouses from Mexico, some with cases similar to yours. There is also a large section on waivers, which you may still need 3 years from now.

I wish you and your family the best of luck in your continued immigration process.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

He had to have admitted to using something within the 3 year period before the interview. He would not have been banned for experimentation in his distant past so he must have said he had used something within that 3 year period. As you probably already know, an applicant must be free of any drug for 3 years prior to the interview.

I'm currently going through the same thing. I have 11 more months to go before we can call the embassy for another interview.

March 15, 2007 - I-129F Sent

March 20, 2007 - NOA1 Received

March 23, 2007 - Touched, April 4, 2007 - Touched , April 5, 2007 - Touched

April 18, 2007 - RFE Email received (waiting for snailmail to see what it is they need)

April 23, 2007 - Received RFE in the mail, mailed out RFE to USCIS using express mail, will get there tomorrow (come on NOA2!)

April 25, 2007 - USCIS Received my RFE info and case has resumed processing

April 26, 2007 - Touched, April 27, 2007 - Touched, April 28, 2007 - TOUCHED AGAIN!

May 10, 2007 - NOA2 Email notification (It took 56 days)

May 16, 2007 - Received NOA2 Notice in snail mail

May 18, 2007 - Received Letter from NVC that they are sending our packet to Juarez Consulate this week

May 26, 2007 - Received Fiance Packet!!!!!!

June 5, 2007 - Medical

June 6, 2007 - Interview at Juarez - Visa Denied (Fiance admitted to smoking marijuana cigarette 6 months before the interview, labeled a 'DRUG ADDICT")

November 18, 2009: I sent an inquiry thru the Juarez website asking about our upcoming end to our ban, what to do etc.

December 14, 2009 - Received a reply from the consulate saying that they will forward a request to the immigration department to request a new appt

December 16, 2009 - Received an email from the consulate saying they are ready for my fiance to come for an open appt anytime

February 2, 2010 - Medical - Trip back to Psych far away in dirty office

February 3, 2010 - Pick up Medical Results

February 4, 2010 - Interview, given form 221(g) "Admin Review" and to come back in 6 months for another medical examination. #######.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, I'm just curious. My husband was given a permanent ban for doing the same thing, he admitted experimenting with drugs a long time ago. How old was your fiance when he got denied?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi there, I am new to this and just would like to know what your status is now. Can I email your privately?

Hi there, I am new to this and just would like to know what your status is now. Can I email your privately?

This post is several months old, you might just try sending them a message here on VJ.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.