Rec_1991

Conditional green card and drivers license expiring

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Background:

I have been in the US for about 9+ years now. My wife is a US citizen. We are married for 3+ years now. Two years ago (in May 05) I received my conditional green card based on marriage. This green card expires on May 15, 2008. My driver's license (California) will expire on the same day (May 15, 2008) because it was granted based on my green card.

I filed for removal of conditions (form I-751) on April 22, 2008. Since this was recent, I haven't received any communication from the USCIS yet.

I went to local DMV to find out if they can give me a temporary extension for my driver's license. They said that they cannot do it without proper paperwork (such as approval notice or a new green card).

I have two questions:

1. Since my papers are filed and its in processing, does it affect my employment? Meaning, can I still continue to work as usual since my case is in process?

2. What should I do to have my license renewed?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You could try making an Infopass appointment at your local USCIS office and see if they will stamp your passport with the I-551 stamp so you can renew your Driver's License. You may, of course, receive your NOA before that time, and if that is the case, then your NOA acts as an extension letter for your green card and 'should' be accepted at the DVM as a valid immigration document. It states right on the NOA that it extends your green card for one year. If the DMV office you go to won't accept the NOA extension letter, try another office- they might be more knowledgeable.

You should still be able to continue working for the same reason - your green card has not expired, and when you get either the NOA or the I-551 stamp that is your proof of status. You shouldn't need to say or do anything about your ongoing employment.

Good luck - hope you receive your NOA soon.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

That is interesting - I asked my wife's friend when her drivers license expires (she came on a K1, 18 months ago) and she said in 5 years. So, the Colorado DMV gave her a 5 year card even though she had a 2 year greencard. This makes me think that 1) Either they made a mistake or 2) It must vary between state to state. I had also heard that the drivers license expires when the greencard expires in New Jersey for example. Good Luck with DMV

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Timeline

Yes, it does vary from state to state. I know when I arrived in Georgia 4 years ago on my K-1 I got a DL good for 4 years and it expires on my birthday this year. My green card expires the month before. Since I arrived, however, new immigration regulations have come down, so when I go to renew my DL it will be with the I-551 stamp in my passport (didn't receive the NOA extending my greencard) good for a year and now Georgia will only renew the license for the one year - the same length of time as my immigration documentation. I won't get a longer DL until I get my 10 year card.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Country: India
Timeline
Yes, it does vary from state to state. I know when I arrived in Georgia 4 years ago on my K-1 I got a DL good for 4 years and it expires on my birthday this year. My green card expires the month before. Since I arrived, however, new immigration regulations have come down, so when I go to renew my DL it will be with the I-551 stamp in my passport (didn't receive the NOA extending my greencard) good for a year and now Georgia will only renew the license for the one year - the same length of time as my immigration documentation. I won't get a longer DL until I get my 10 year card.

---------------

So, it worked. I got 1-year extension thru I751. They renewed my drivers license. And, Today my fingerprinting was also done.

Thank you all for your replies....

Here is my time line:

April 22 2008: I 751 application mailed

April 29 2008: Check cashed

May 02 2008: Received 1 year extension via I751 (Drivers license renewed next day :wow: )

May 15 2008: Got invite for biometric (fingerprinting)

May 22 2008: Fingerprinting done.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Congratulations!! :)

When I got my license in Florida last year, I too expected it to expire when my GC (Conditional) expires. I think either they made a mistake or the rules vary from state to state? My money is on the made a mistake, I think I read somewhere that it should expire when my documents do? Anyway my license was issued in 2007 and will expire in 2013. I'm glad this happened as I won't have to worry about it in October when my GC expires and I won't have to renew it or even worse risk being without a license while things get processed. I'm also really glad we went and fought with the SSA to get me an unrestricted SSN Card. I've read a few horror stories about people working/changing jobs while their GC is expired and there being problems with employers and restricted SSN's and not accepting the NOA.

Edited by aidan80

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem right now. I filed my application last February and I've already done the biometrics... just waiting for the decision. However, in the meantime, my DL expired and I can't drive. I went to the DMV and they would NOT accept the letter of extension. I got a new job and they accepted my paperwork just fine and I can even travel! However, I can't drive which makes life very difficult right now. I was wondering, if the list of the DMV's accepted documents say "Resident Alien Card (I-551)", can I get a stamp on my passport and have them accept it? I'm not quite sure if the stamp is the same as the document...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
I have the same problem right now. I filed my application last February and I've already done the biometrics... just waiting for the decision. However, in the meantime, my DL expired and I can't drive. I went to the DMV and they would NOT accept the letter of extension. I got a new job and they accepted my paperwork just fine and I can even travel! However, I can't drive which makes life very difficult right now. I was wondering, if the list of the DMV's accepted documents say "Resident Alien Card (I-551)", can I get a stamp on my passport and have them accept it? I'm not quite sure if the stamp is the same as the document...

I think I-551 Stamp and the I-551 Card serve the same purpose. I'd get the stamp and get your license renewed as quickly as possible. It's always good to have the stamp while you wait as it's a temporary I-551 after all.

Good Luck!

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just renewed my lisense with my NOA on the 24th. They renewed them for one year. I will be glad when I can get them for 5 years. Having to go back to that place makes me nuts thinking about it. My son and I waited 4 hours the other day just for our number to be called. We got there 5 mins after the place opened and there was 25 people ahead of us. I guess you have to go two hours before it opens or you will be waiting all day.

The main thing is we both got our drivers renewed with no questions asked about the NOA from Vermont.

That is stupid that all states are different.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Timeline

Wow, Peggy! That sounds like the experience I had when I got my first Driver's License here at the closest DMV office. This last time I went to one a bit farther south from Atlanta and was in and out within 15 minutes. I was very impressed! I will be going back there again to get my 5 year license once my 10 year card is approved ( or for another stamp if I am still waiting next May :( ) as this license is only valid for one year - until my I-551 passport stamp expires.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

yeh it sucks having to wait that long, but its the only place around here that does FN lisense.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

• 12 years later...

My husband's conditional GC is expiring only on 02/21/21. His license was only issued for a year which is expiring on october 1st 2020. we live in MA. when we tried to renew online, it wont allow, it is saying undetermined length of stay has not changed. I have a booked an appointment at the RMV but it is not till the 6th of october. By then his license will expire.

Will they give us trouble renewing his license even though his GC valid till 02/021/21. Just bringing the valid GC is enough?

Edited by Renna S

33 minutes ago, Renna S said:

Will they give us trouble renewing his license even though his GC valid till 02/021/21. Just bringing the valid GC is enough?

They shouldn't but you know them. My wifes Ma Real ID expired 2 weeks ago and we have to drive 139 miles to Pittsfield tomorrow with the 18 month extension I-797 to renew it for 1he 18 months. Ill let you know how that works out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.