elmcitymaven

Bank of America problem

26 posts in this topic

My husband and I both have accounts with Bank of America -- I've got checking, a money market account, a credit card and two business accounts, the hubster has checking and a money market. So far, we've been generally happy with them. No problem opening up his account after we got his SSN. But we now have a new issue that we can't quite resolve with them (or at least yet resolve).

When he opened the account, they coded him as a non-resident alien even though he had his I-551 stamp in his passport (green card had not yet arrived). We only discovered this when he got a letter from BoA saying that he needed to confirm his non-resident status for the 17 cents in interest he earned last year, citing tax purposes. So when he called them to say "#######??? I am a permanent resident!" they directed him to a branch to sort out the matter. When he went to the branch, they told him they couldn't sort it out -- he had to do it over the phone. When he called back, he was told this amusing little nugget: apparently BoA will treat PRs as non-resident aliens for tax purposes UNLESS they have already been resident in America for three months at the time they open their account.

Again, #######??? If, as my husband says, his PR status is good enough for Uncle Sam, why isn't it good enough for BoA? Has anyone else heard this load of complete and utter b*ll*cks? We are still trying to sort this out, and we're getting desperate as it is nearing tax day. I'm making an appointment for us to meet with the bank manager to sort this out, and for me to threaten to yank my not insubstantial funds out of BoA and move to Wachovia next door if he is not correctly coded as a PR. But I was curious if other VJers had heard this malarkey. Comments, people! :ranting:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
My husband and I both have accounts with Bank of America -- I've got checking, a money market account, a credit card and two business accounts, the hubster has checking and a money market. So far, we've been generally happy with them. No problem opening up his account after we got his SSN. But we now have a new issue that we can't quite resolve with them (or at least yet resolve).

When he opened the account, they coded him as a non-resident alien even though he had his I-551 stamp in his passport (green card had not yet arrived). We only discovered this when he got a letter from BoA saying that he needed to confirm his non-resident status for the 17 cents in interest he earned last year, citing tax purposes. So when he called them to say "#######??? I am a permanent resident!" they directed him to a branch to sort out the matter. When he went to the branch, they told him they couldn't sort it out -- he had to do it over the phone. When he called back, he was told this amusing little nugget: apparently BoA will treat PRs as non-resident aliens for tax purposes UNLESS they have already been resident in America for three months at the time they open their account.

Again, #######??? If, as my husband says, his PR status is good enough for Uncle Sam, why isn't it good enough for BoA? Has anyone else heard this load of complete and utter b*ll*cks? We are still trying to sort this out, and we're getting desperate as it is nearing tax day. I'm making an appointment for us to meet with the bank manager to sort this out, and for me to threaten to yank my not insubstantial funds out of BoA and move to Wachovia next door if he is not correctly coded as a PR. But I was curious if other VJers had heard this malarkey. Comments, people! :ranting:

Bank of America is a piece of ####. If it's not one thing, it's another.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

I must say it hasn't been plain sailing for Jeremy who is with BofA as well - I can't say I have come across what has happened to you but I am defo going to be carrying out a lot of research into banking when I am there - I'm not going to need an account right away so I can take some time to investimagate :)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I too had problems with the BOA, and after 6 months of being told I wasn't going to be charged fees and trying to transfer money to my bank account in Canada and them f**king that up, I closed my account. Have only heard bad things about them from most people I know. I have to agree that now if BOA was the last bank I too would put my money under the mattress LOL.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I had a problem getting a letter from BOA when I was preparing for our K1 interview. That bank tried me and even charged me...but I'm smarter than those f***ers and got my money back.

As far as how they handle our money, we have no problems, and we have checking and savings accounts and a credit card.

I've heard ####### about WaMu too so I don't know where to go...

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Bank of America is a piece of ####. If it's not one thing, it's another.

I agree with that. They don't care about you. They do care the first 90 days you open the account. After that. you are SOL.

They can go to Hel

July 19------------Send the I-129F

July 26------------Recieved

December 7th----NOA2 online

December 14-----NOA2 Hard Copy

December 21-----NVC recieved

December 28-----NVC send to US embassy in Ethiopia

January 8---------US embassy in Ethiopia will recieve

January 11--------Packet 3

February 7 -------Interview

February 7 -------Passed interview

February 12------VISA in hand

February 22------IN the USA

March 1-----------Wedding

March 15----------Sent AOS

July 7 -------------Finger Print

January 27, 2009--Green card approved without interview. It took almost one year though.

Feb 2 -------------Got the green card in the mail

Next: playing the waiting game for the 2 years holding removal

omg_wtf.jpg

Sorry to be a pain, but I just wanted to check if anyone else has had the specific problem we have had with Bruce being designated a non-resident alien? I don't mean to be a pill! :blush:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
If BofA was the last bank, I would keep my money stuffed under a mattress.

I agree. Hate them!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Sorry to be a pain, but I just wanted to check if anyone else has had the specific problem we have had with Bruce being designated a non-resident alien? I don't mean to be a pill! :blush:

Sorry, no, not me. :blush: I had/have a different specific problem.

You crack me up -- again!

I'm about to call the Bank to set up a meeting. Our manager is very nice and is a can-do sort of person -- I hope she can sort this out quickly.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

M was designated as a non-res. alien but that's because he was one ... a few months after receiving his green card, they changed him to a resident alien and no problems in that regard.

Bora Bora - you are lucky to not have had any issues with your money. They just represent an evil corporation to me - if you deposit money, they don't always put it in right away, then any withdrawals they can take first and charge you insufficient funds fees; it hasn't happened to me, but a lot of people at my job switched when it became BofA. They also stole the keep the change idea from a guy in West Palm who is in court (or was, this time last year, so probably still is) trying to resolve it ... they told us it was okay M. didn't have an SSN then sent us a letter saying if we didn't provide one they would close the account; one time my mom tried to take out money and it wouldn't let her, so she tried again later, and it said insufficient funds. When she checked online, it showed she had already received 200 dollars from the time it wouldn't give her any money...! she had to fight them tooth and nail to 1. get her money back and 2. get the fees back.

I lost an ATM card and made it very clear I'd lost the one for the account with my husband's name on it as well, and they froze the one account and send me a new ATM card for the wrong account...stupid. The spanish line is rude, and when I called their fraud division for my credit card number theft, they told me it was a swipe and I must have done it...three people later, I'm told "It was in Michigan...I'm guessing you haven't been there lately?" while the first few told me I MUST HAVE DONE IT but couldn't bother to tell me it HAD BEEN DONE OVER A THOUSAND MILES AWAY.

I keep an account open so my mother and I can help each other out if need be and they DO have a good bill pay system, but I keep no money in the account.

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

M was designated as a non-res. alien but that's because he was one ... a few months after receiving his green card, they changed him to a resident alien and no problems in that regard.

Bora Bora - you are lucky to not have had any issues with your money. They just represent an evil corporation to me - if you deposit money, they don't always put it in right away, then any withdrawals they can take first and charge you insufficient funds fees; it hasn't happened to me, but a lot of people at my job switched when it became BofA. They also stole the keep the change idea from a guy in West Palm who is in court (or was, this time last year, so probably still is) trying to resolve it ... they told us it was okay M. didn't have an SSN then sent us a letter saying if we didn't provide one they would close the account; one time my mom tried to take out money and it wouldn't let her, so she tried again later, and it said insufficient funds. When she checked online, it showed she had already received 200 dollars from the time it wouldn't give her any money...! she had to fight them tooth and nail to 1. get her money back and 2. get the fees back.

I lost an ATM card and made it very clear I'd lost the one for the account with my husband's name on it as well, and they froze the one account and send me a new ATM card for the wrong account...stupid. The spanish line is rude, and when I called their fraud division for my credit card number theft, they told me it was a swipe and I must have done it...three people later, I'm told "It was in Michigan...I'm guessing you haven't been there lately?" while the first few told me I MUST HAVE DONE IT but couldn't bother to tell me it HAD BEEN DONE OVER A THOUSAND MILES AWAY.

I keep an account open so my mother and I can help each other out if need be and they DO have a good bill pay system, but I keep no money in the account.

This has happened to Jeremy many times. I don't think he has even managed to get fees back.

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

That was NOT our experience in the least with BOA. After Regions bank treated us like criminals (because he did not yet have a green card), we went to BOA where we were welcomed with open arms.

We got a $25 gift from them for opening the account, which they promptly sent a form to both of us for tax purposes in January. So obviously however they 'put' him in the system didn't matter. He was only in the US for 2 months when we opened the account, and again, he did not yet have his green card.

I would be very curious to hear what the branch manager tells you. They need to make this right.

SA4userbar.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.